Greg Gumbel on announcers...

eball

Wow, I love what he said because I agree 100%!  There is not a single game I watch because of who's announcing it, and there are definitely games I avoid (or mute) because of who's announcing.

Kudos to someone who has made a very good living in that business for having the guts to say it.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, eball said:

Wow, I love what he said because I agree 100%!  There is not a single game I watch because of who's announcing it, and there are definitely games I avoid (or mute) because of who's announcing.

Kudos to someone who has made a very good living in that business for having the guts to say it.

Yeah I’m not sure why networks feel the need to pay big money. I dont pay attention to them unless they say something dumb.

But we have to remember a lot of people do listen to the people calling the game. I just don’t believe those people care who’s explaining what’s happening.

38 minutes ago, eball said:

Gumbel goes on to say that for all of the praise that Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth get for the job that they did with Sunday Night Football, they have an advantage because, “they do the best game of the week.” 

Collinsworth gets praise from people other than PFF zombies? 

BILL-THE-CAT.jpg

It was a revelation to me when I discovered I could listen to the Spanish translation of the games by switching the language preference on my tv. I do that now whenever it's an option. I do understand Spanish, and I can say that I seldom hear the inane comments most announcers make on our main networks. Just old-school play by play, and a little commentary, with high emotion. But the emotion comes across naturally, not forced as it does with many English-speaking announcers who are perhaps trying too hard to sound excited. "Josh Allen, QUE FUERZA!"

Edited by John Gianelli
typo
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree with him and corporations do a lot of dumb things, but they have to have some sort of numbers. Perhaps, it just a matter of framing.. the guys they pay big bucks to chase the fewest number of people away..

I have my suspicions it's more about attention away from the broadcast than how great they are at calling a game. If you have a circle jerk of people talking about so and so and how great they are then they're talking about your network. 

Go post a topic about Collinsworth sucking and watch it get several pages every time. 

47 minutes ago, eball said:

I wonder how Bryant feels about this. To me, he's always been a supercilious anal orifice. 

• Agree 1

Some of them annoy me. Some of them I like. But there is only one that I can't stand and consider muting the TV for: Chris Collinsworth.

I'll also say the Monday night guys were pretty cringe worthy last season. Those guys really annoyed me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.