Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

On 4/2/2022 at 6:26 PM, Rocket94 said:

Jameson Williams and Josh Allen are a match made in Heaven. Williams even stated that he would love to play with Allen! Josh would approach 5,000 yards!

He's a guy I'd be absolutely ok trading up for.  He's everything Beane talks about in needing to bring game-breaking speed to the Offense.  Fits in seamlessly out of the slot, with Diggs and Davis outside.  

Also perfect because we don't need to rush him back, given the signing of Crowder.  Work him in when he's ready and then unleash him down the stretch of the season to get ready for the Playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jesus Christ. A trade up for an off the ball LB would be beyond stupid… can’t see that happening. 

McBeanes focus should now be 100% getting offensive help for Josh Allen.

Zig seemed more unequivocal on the trade up than the for whom.

1 hour ago, Magox said:

I was listening to Sirius XM NFL radio this weekend and Zig Fracassi one of the hosts of this particular show seemed pretty certain that the Bills were going to try to trade up to get a player.  He stated that his source hasn't let him down before.   When the other co host pressed him on who it could be, he implied that it could even come from a position that is not viewed as a need such as a LB.

Just thought that I'd share.

Did he mention if we're talking trade-up in RD1, or just trade-up in general?

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If they trade up for a LBer, gotta think Edmunds doesn’t get a second contract.

That would have to be the case, but as ScottLaw mentioned, I wouldn't be too thrilled with the pick, At least not of the idea of doing so.

Just now, SCBills said:

Did he mention if we're talking trade-up in RD1, or just trade-up in general?

1st rounder.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Edmonds will likely be part of the trade if they do or traded in a subsequent move.  His $12+M in cap would be nice to move on from.

2 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

If they trade-up for a LB, without moving Edmunds, I'll have questions...

You don't draft a LB high to learn for a year when you're trying to win a SB... that is ridiculous. 

If they draft a LB in the top 3 rounds, that guy should be starting and Edmunds should be moved to free up money for a corner and bring a pick/trade-up option in play.  

F*** Them Picks

We are in win-now mode. Yes, Beane will always want to build to be a perennial winner, but when you are this close in that building, you take the bigger jumps to ensure you get to the promise land.

1 Super Bowl victory and a couple mediocre years right after is better for McBeane's long term job security than 3 more years of winning the division but losing in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

F*** Them Picks

We are in win-now mode. Yes, Beane will always want to build to be a perennial winner, but when you are this close in that building, you take the bigger jumps to ensure you get to the promise land.

1 Super Bowl victory and a couple mediocre years right after is better for McBeane's long term job security than 3 more years of winning the division but losing in the playoffs.

You can do both, just have to hit on the later round guys to maintain depth. 

Strangely enough, we seem to do that, but struggle finding immediate impact guys high - outside Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Strangely enough, we seem to do that, but struggle finding immediate impact guys high - outside Allen. 

Yes, you can do both, and that is what Beane has been doing. But the point is, when you are this close, you pause one to focus on the other. His success at the more conservative, long term build plan allows him to be temporarily more aggressive when needed. IMO, now is that time.

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If they trade-up for a LB, without moving Edmunds, I'll have questions...

You don't draft a LB high to learn for a year when you're trying to win a SB... that is ridiculous. 

If they draft a LB in the top 3 rounds, that guy should be starting and Edmunds should be moved to free up money for a corner and bring a pick/trade-up option in play.  

I think a 2nd round LBer could sit and learn (basically be a Klein replacement). First rounder has to be an impact starter.

Just now, DapperCam said:

I think a 2nd round LBer could sit and learn (basically be a Klein replacement). First rounder has to be an impact starter.

In theory, I agree with you.  However, a LB in the top 100 means they are likely taking the spot of one of these 3 positions (CB, WR, OL)... I would not be happy at all to draft an Edmunds replacement who will sit for a year if it means one of those positions loses a premium pick.  

I also would hate the likely fact that drafting a LB to back up Edmunds for a year means we're letting him walk for nothing.   Despite the frustrations we have with him, an extremely young, high ceiling, pro-bowl LB has trade value. 

• Agree 3

34 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jesus Christ. A trade up for an off the ball LB would be beyond stupid… can’t see that happening. 

McBeanes focus should now be 100% getting offensive help for Josh Allen.

Crowder, Howard, and Saffold are all offensive upgrades. Re-signing Bates, and McKenzie helps Allen. Plus, Bates, Brown, Davis will continue to develop. The run game will continue to develop under Kromer. That helps Allen also.

I would be pretty shocked at a trade up for a linebacker, no doubt. But if Beane, and McD see, and have met with someone that they thinks makes a significant impact on defense, I'm not going to complain about it. We are once again drafting predominantly for backup positions.  

Josh Allen scored 15 points in the last two  minutes of regulation against the Chiefs. The Bills were ahead when he left the field. It wasn't the offense that lost that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

He's a guy I'd be absolutely ok trading up for.  He's everything Beane talks about in needing to bring game-breaking speed to the Offense.  Fits in seamlessly out of the slot, with Diggs and Davis outside.  

Also perfect because we don't need to rush him back, given the signing of Crowder.  Work him in when he's ready and then unleash him down the stretch of the season to get ready for the Playoffs. 

Absolutely. Once he is fully healed, I believe that he would be a quick study and transition fast! It would be an electric tandem! Williams is just the kind of receiver that Josh needs!

Keep your eyes on Brandon Smith, the LB from Penn State. He scored a 9.9 RAS and is a little more athletic than Edmunds, but not as long. Problem is, he also shares the same pre draft questions about his instincts, processing time, and ability to shed blocks. He also misses more tackles than Edmunds, but plays a more physical brand of football.

He’s one of the few LBers the Bills met with and is projected to go in the 2nd round.

Edited by JayBaller10

9 hours ago, SCBills said:

I think the high slow start pics is related to the last three all being d line with the guys sitting behind FA vets or established starters , and throw in the heavy rotational play and it’s a recipe for a slow start/ slow development scenario.   I do think Epenesa is at high risk of being nothing more than a back up / low rotation guy unless he makes some dramatic third year progress.  He will always be a sore point for me as we passed on Dobbins for him and we still are looking for consistent RB production.  Moss looks like his skills didn’t translate well in the NFL and Mcd s evolution of the o needs are a result of very avg  rb play and using Josh too much in the run game because he is the only consistent runner.  

Had we taken Dobbins ( despite his lost year with the injury, and who knows if he sustains that under the bills  training ) in place of Epenesa , we would be just as productive on the d line and this year our RB situation would be much further along supporting Josh.  I bet  Dobbins has a very good year and I think it’s a huge stretch to expect that from Epenesa, esp with all the d line additions.  One of the biggest misses imo by Beane in the early , first two rounds. 

Sign UFA LB Kwon Alexander should be cheaper than Edmunds. Quality player

Trade

Edmunds 

Ford 

Moss 

Hodgins 

2023 1st 
2024 3rd 

2023 4th 

2022 5th

For

5th overall - Sauce/Sting/Thibodeaux/KHam

Bradberry ($ eaten / extension)

25th - move up again to Eagles at 15 for our 2022 2nd 

Select - Jameson Williams/Treylon Burks

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.