Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's very good.

I think there is a perception that if it were down to Dotson or CB Andrew Booth Jr...........that Booth is obviously the better/more valuable asset.

I'm not sure that's the case.

I don't really know why this has happened exactly........the easy answer is to say that offense is more important than defense............. but WR has eclipsed CB in terms of premium salary expectations.

I thought the very top CB and WR contracts would be mirror images at this point in NFL history but that's not what is happening.

I know JC Jackson seemed to take a bad deal from the LAC but in general CB's aren't getting $20M+ aav deals...........top WR's are.

If a WR is even he's leavin' even applies to cash value of the position now.

Dotson is the guy I’d want.  You’d be adding Desean Jackson in his prime.  Offense would be borderline unstoppable.

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Those are certainly legitimate opinions.

Yeah when it comes to draft prospects, every year there seems to be examples of NFL talent evaluators disagreeing with fan opinions greatly.

Sometimes they’re spot on, and sometimes not so much. I don’t even try to pretend to know, but I admire those who put the effort in to create an informed opinion.

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Dotson is the guy I’d want.  You’d be adding Desean Jackson in his prime.  Offense would be borderline unstoppable.

He could be the pick as (1) he'll be there, (2) he does have the speed we lack, (3) seems high character and (4) Penn St Connection (Pegula).  In saying that, somebody always falls, and I think we'll end up with someone we didn't think would last to 25. If Dotson is there in the early 2nd, and we didn't draft a WR in Rd 1, would love to see a trade up to grab him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

He could be the pick as (1) he'll be there, (2) he does have the speed we lack, (3) seems high character and (4) Penn St Connection (Pegula).  In saying that, somebody always falls, and I think we'll end up with someone we didn't think would last to 25. If Dotson is there in the early 2nd, and we didn't draft a WR in Rd 1, would love to see a trade up to grab him.

Dotson was great at Penn State, and far and away the best player on that team last year. I'm not concerned about his ability, just that he's a bit too slender. I would love him as a 2nd or 3rd pick, if we go CB 1st, and Watson and Pierce are both gone.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, papazoid said:

what if that center linderbaum was there at #25......i'm seeing alot of mocks where he falls.....that was very unlikely weeks ago

IMO Linderbaum was always one of those easy/lazy first round mocks.........kinda' like Shaq Lawson or AJ Epenesa.

It only takes one team to pull the trigger....see Shaq........but if a much better all around center prospect like Creed Humphrey can fall to round 2 then I don't see why a scheme specific guy like Linderbaum should have been considered a lock in round 1. 

This doesn’t pass the smell test. It makes sense for the Bills to package picks like the did in the Dion Dawkins draft to wind up with multiple 2s and 3s. A move like that makes sense. A move up in the first really doesn’t. 

The only vet trade move that would get you up is probably 25 and Dawkins to get 6. Rhule loves Dawkins and they need a LT bad. But a trade like that makes no sense for us because your franchise left tackle who protects your franchise QB would be gone and you just create another hole.  All that to draft a corner? Another LT? Hanilton to play big nickel as some have suggested…seriously??? Yeah I don’t think so. Dion is the only player outside of Josh Allen who could get you up there. Poyer, Edmunds, etc etc ain’t doing it. 

So all that said, maybe the Bills make a minor move up if someone they like starts slipping into the late teens. But the rumor of trade ups is probably coming from the idea that they probably don’t want to draft 8 guys. Package picks to move up and down the board and get 5 guys you targeted. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

I don't see us moving up much for CB with this team's ability to develop defensive backs. They could take 3 starting in Round 4 and make something out of it.

Moving up for offense, so WR since it's the 1st, or just a couple of spots for CB makes the most sense. I'm buying into the Jameson Williams chatter, I really think they go WR in the 1st.

Does the Will Fuller comparison come with the PEDs? I'll take a healthy, hulked up Will Fuller streaking down the sideline. You can't get that nowadays with the real Will Fuller of course. Shenault is broken or too slow for the NFL, there's a reason beyond Jacksonville's ineptitude that there's no real interest from anybody.

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Quite. 

The price to get from where the Bills are to where the Giants are at #5 (1700 points per JJ chart) would be at least: #25 (720), #57 (330), a 2023 1st rounder (take the mid range of round 1 and halve the value for one year removed - 500) and a starting calibre player. 

Yup. 

Wildly unlikely.

And as I'm sure many have noted, the original Fracassi tweet doesn't ever refer to the 1st round. The could be thinking of - for example - moving Moss to move up in the 4th.

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. 

Wildly unlikely.

And as I'm sure many have noted, the original Fracassi tweet doesn't ever refer to the 1st round. The could be thinking of - for example - moving Moss to move up in the 4th.

That wouldn't be news. Peter King also previously speculated that the Giants might want to move one of their 1s this year, to have 2 next year. Mentioned the Bills as one of the likely trade candidates. Peter King isn't guessing, he likely heard something as well.

8 hours ago, Nelius said:

I don't see us moving up much for CB with this team's ability to develop defensive backs. They could take 3 starting in Round 4 and make something out of it.

Moving up for offense, so WR since it's the 1st, or just a couple of spots for CB makes the most sense. I'm buying into the Jameson Williams chatter, I really think they go WR in the 1st.

Does the Will Fuller comparison come with the PEDs? I'll take a healthy, hulked up Will Fuller streaking down the sideline. You can't get that nowadays with the real Will Fuller of course. Shenault is broken or too slow for the NFL, there's a reason beyond Jacksonville's ineptitude that there's no real interest from anybody.

Sure, they could try to develop a mid to late round pick. But if you could send a veteran player about to be let go in a year(Poyer or Edmunds) and two 1sts (both likely to be mid to late 20s) for a cost controlled, under-paid top flight CB for 5 years, would you do that? I think I might.

We are a team now that is going to be at the salary cap every year. So I could see the rationale in using picks to try get cheaper, more sure fire talent. 

11 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This doesn’t pass the smell test. It makes sense for the Bills to package picks like the did in the Dion Dawkins draft to wind up with multiple 2s and 3s. A move like that makes sense. A move up in the first really doesn’t. 

The only vet trade move that would get you up is probably 25 and Dawkins to get 6. Rhule loves Dawkins and they need a LT bad. But a trade like that makes no sense for us because your franchise left tackle who protects your franchise QB would be gone and you just create another hole.  All that to draft a corner? Another LT? Hanilton to play big nickel as some have suggested…seriously??? Yeah I don’t think so. Dion is the only player outside of Josh Allen who could get you up there. Poyer, Edmunds, etc etc ain’t doing it. 

So all that said, maybe the Bills make a minor move up if someone they like starts slipping into the late teens. But the rumor of trade ups is probably coming from the idea that they probably don’t want to draft 8 guys. Package picks to move up and down the board and get 5 guys you targeted. 

I would assume the rumor is coming from other teams that don't keep such a tight lid on things?

2 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

That wouldn't be news. Peter King also previously speculated that the Giants might want to move one of their 1s this year, to have 2 next year. Mentioned the Bills as one of the likely trade candidates. Peter King isn't guessing, he likely heard something as well.

Wouldn't it be news? It absolutely would.

Because again, he didn't say it was 1st round. That's pure guesswork by folks on here hearing what they want to hear.

And yet, it is in fact news, as it's on twitter and there's now a 22 page thread based on nothing but this very undetailed tweet.

And if Peter King heard something, he would have been perfectly happy to say that he heard something. He does that all the time. But you said it yourself, he "speculated." That ain't news, it's educated guesswork. And there's nothing wrong with that, but there is something wrong with reading that King guessed, and then, as you did here, saying that he "likely heard something." Again, he was speculating. 

Again, he had that Giants note in his weekly, "10 Things I Think I Think" section. Not the "Factoids" section or any other.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/21/deshaun-watson-browns-davante-adams-raiders-nfl-fmia-peter-king/?cid=nbcsports

He didn't say anything about the Bills being part of that, or at least not in that same article. Nothing.

Could you possible be talking about the article by Chris Trapasso mentioning King's speculation and speculates about four possible teams who might fit the bill? Totally without any idea that he had any information on it? Titled "Exploring first-round trades Giants could make to gain extra draft capital"? Subtitled, "The Giants have two first-round picks, could they actually move one?"

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2022-nfl-draft-exploring-first-round-trades-giants-could-make-to-gain-extra-draft-capital/

In that article, Trapasso says this, "The Giants are starting a new era with coach Brian Daboll and GM Joe Schoen, and with the regime change comes unpredictability as to how the G-Men will operate in the draft. They appear to be ready to ride with quarterback Daniel Jones for at least one more season. We don't know much else."

And this. "Let's examine four possible trades the Giants could make on the evening of April 28th." Nothing else. Nothing about any source. 

He's trying to put together a list of his own, of teams that could possibly be interested IF the Giants are actually interested. 

There's nothing here.

Again, since many seem to have missed this, Zig Fracassi, the guy who put out the tweet did NOT say the trade he referred to would/could be in the 1st round. The folks here assuming that it must be about the first round are suffering from confirmation bias.

If he'd meant it about the first round specifically, he could have virtually guaranteed his tweet would get a ton more attention, retweets and so on by mentioning the round. He did NOT.

Edited by Thurman#1

Every year this stuff is talked about.  Do I think Beane could move up a few spots in the 1st?  Yes

Could Beane use some Day #3 picks to move up in Day#2.  Yes

Is there a chance that a vet who is not in the long-term plans for the Bills get traded?  Yes

The only vets I see who could do anything significant and MAYBE traded is Edmunds or Poyer.  I doubt it but those would be my guess.

Both of these guys are UFAs next year and I don't see Beane signing both to extensions.  The deal is IF one is traded a high pick (1-3)

would be used to replace that player.

One thing I do know is 8 rookies are not making the team this year with the current roster.

I believe Beane makes a move or even two, but it won't be a "blockbuster" one like some people are hoping for.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Every year this stuff is talked about.  Do I think Beane could move up a few spots in the 1st?  Yes

Could Beane use some Day #3 picks to move up in Day#2.  Yes

Is there a chance that a vet who is not in the long-term plans for the Bills get traded?  Yes

The only vets I see who could do anything significant and MAYBE traded is Edmunds or Poyer.  I doubt it but those would be my guess.

Both of these guys are UFAs next year and I don't see Beane signing both to extensions.  The deal is IF one is traded a high pick (1-3)

would be used to replace that player.

One thing I do know is 8 rookies are not making the team this year with the current roster.

I believe Beane makes a move or even two, but it won't be a "blockbuster" one like some people are hoping for.

I agree he might make a move or two, particularly using 6ths or 7ths to move up, something he does very often.

But you don't need 8 rookies to make the team. Making the practice squad can be just as useful. Might we lose a guy that way? Sure, it's possible. Also very possible we would not.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.