Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

8 hours ago, Logic said:

Hamilton is awesome, but it would be a bizarre “spinning our wheels” move to trade up for a safety. I also don’t think it would play well in the locker room to move on from Po or Hyde, not to mention both guys are coming off career years.

I get planning for the future, but it would be downright weird and illogical of me to move up for a safety.

Think Hamilton could play MLB?

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

I was going to start a post on Monday on how I really felt the Bills were going to move up in this draft. This roster is stacked and they only need a stud CB to complete it.  Yes, I can also see going after Hall or Jameson or another top WR.

I feel the FO is saying we need 2 impact players (and a shot at a 3rd)  under team control for 4-5 years. Let's identify them and do whatever it takes to get them in a Bills uni.  After Rd 3 or 4, I don't see another draft pick making this team unless they find some hidden gem out of nowhere.  This draft is about getting a CB/WR and maybe another G and RB. The first two they have identified their targets and will move to get them, like they did with Allen and Edmonds.  

After that it's taking swings on potential with a Safety, LB, RB.  I totally trust this FO to make it happen. Can't wait for the draft!

While I agree with the strategy I don’t think this is the year to toss away extra draft picks. Maybe some late round ones. But this draft class should be loaded. A lot of athletes who sat out the Covid year came back this year to play. It’s a really deep draft class. I think there’s draft-able starters in the 4th this year. Maybe even 5th. 

Time will tell but this may be the most exciting day 3 draft watch for me in several years.  

14 minutes ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Think Hamilton could play MLB?

Too light in the britches.

He's 6'4", 220 lbs.

For comparison's sake, Tremaine Edmunds -- who many here are convinced is too slight of build to effectively play MLB -- is 6'5", 250 lbs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

Too light in the britches.

He's 6'4", 220 lbs.

For comparison's sake, Tremaine Edmunds -- who many here are convinced is too slight of build to effectively play MLB -- is 6'5", 250 lbs.

De'Vondre Campbell's 6'3" 232 lbs.      So one good year in the weight room and he'd be right there.

4 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

Troy Anderson 

Troy Anderson has the make up of the next perennial all-pro LB…. Boom or bust guy…. Only cause more is desired being the level of competition he faced in college……. But I’m leaning towards boom!!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Yep. You win 🏆.

Bills move to the top of 15, Giants move back multiple times and up with 3-4 1st round picks in 2023.

bills move up twice. Top 15 then top 10.

The Bills might only be looking to move up 5-10spots.  I don’t see them trying to get into the top 10.

3 minutes ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Troy Anderson has the make up of the next perennial all-pro LB…. Boom or bust guy…. Only cause more is desired being the level of competition he faced in college……. But I’m leaning towards boom!!!

Let’s roll the dice … looks like at 57

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t say that the league was suddenly trying to become great @ defense.  I just don’t think that the contending teams were going offense over defense. 

the bengals were the only team that really made big offensive moves without making any big defensive moves.  

the broncos added wilson…..   of course they added a super bowl franchise QB when one became available.  Ditto for the Browns.  While 2 teams got better on O….seattle and Houston got worse.  

chiefs and rams got worse on O.

Chargers added all D and retained Williams.  

the raiders got adams….and they also got CJones and started to overturn their secondary.  new coach- offensive coordinator 

miami-  I’m talking about contenders and I I don’t think they’re a contender.  They have a new HC that is an offensive guy.  They had a very good d and a terrible O….of course they attacked the offensive side of the ball. They’re trying to become relevant.  

Teams were trying to fix what was wrong…….  Not much wrong with our O except IOL.  We fixed it.  Sure, we need another star WR….but we decided to rather get a super star pass rusher after we couldn’t sack Mahomes.  Tough to get another super star on O considering we had 2M of cap to start.  I think our defensive moves will prove to be just what we need.

But let’s not forget Saffold, Howard, crowder and Duke Johnson.  And it’s not even April.  

What he is doing doesn’t have to be classified as zagging or zigging.  He’s just kicking ***.   Beane is doing what he normally does.  Improve our team.  

What did the Chargers need to add on offense?   They are loaded at WR and have a RB who scored 20 TD's.  They just drafted a stud LT.   The biggest investment they made this offseason was $20M aav to retain Mike Williams to retain their strong group of play makers.

"The contenders" were already very dynamic offensively and the opposition is trying hard to play catch up because QB play and offense is the name of the game.

IMO........the Bills receiving corps is not as talented as it was in 2020..........they are the annual Gabe Davis lower leg injury away from Jake Kumerow playing meaningful snaps on the outside..........in 2020 they had a top 5 WR corps.........they are middle of the road there now.........which doesn't seem like a great position to be in when your HC/GM say WR is your "fastball".

Additionally.........the OL was really bad last year in games where the Bills weren't using Josh Allen like a RB.   I like retaining Bates but Saffold was a mehcquisition.   

Offense should be a priority here.   I thought you were in agreement with Beane's original statements about protecting Josh being job #1.    That hasn't been the tenor of the offseason so far.   That's OK but hopefully that changes in the draft.   Time to support the only reason the team is a contender........the QB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Yeah I’m not trusting a dude with <1000 followers who can’t even get Matt Araiza’s name correct

Yeah. Making a simple brain fart name mistake and not having a lot of Twitter followers definitely disqualifies him from knowing anything.

48 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s my issue with McD… I still don’t think the dude gets out scoring the opposing team at the expense of defense is the way the league is trending now a days… McD had mentioned not getting into shoot outs with certain teams(which makes 0 sense to me when your offense is more than capable of beating anyone in a shootout)…. And I think that played a part in the strange offensive decision making in the 3rd quarter in the divisional game… he’s certainly made big strides, but feel like he(and perhaps Beane feels the pressure) can’t resist in the off-season to put the focus on defense.

I’ll shake my head if this is yet another front loaded defensive heavy draft. 

Kind of a funny thing to say about a head coach who resides over a team that ranked 3rd and 2nd in offensive points per game the last two seasons, and who have one the pass happiest (particularly on 1st down and in neutral down and distance situations) , most modern, forward thinking offenses in the league. We're talking about the guy who has directly said "it's a quarterback driven league" and "I want to score as many points as possible, whatever it takes".

Conversely, the Bills ranked 1st and 16th in defensive points per game allowed over the last two seasons. And while that #1 ranking was nice last year, we all saw that against good passing offenses led by good quarterbacks, they often folded like a cheap suit.

I want to keep the offense potent and to add a couple WRs as much as the next guy, but I don't know how anyone could watch the Bills get bounced from the playoffs two years in a row due to giving up 35+ to the Chiefs and conclude that drafting a few defensive players will make them "shake their head". Offense is not what prevented the Bills from going to the Super Bowl last year. I mean, coaching was, if we're being honest. 13 seconds. We all know. But if we ARE gonna blame one side of the ball for that loss, it's damned sure the side that gave up 35+, not the side that scored at a record pace in the playoffs.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Tine to cut that hair.

Maybe the opposite of Sampson effect.  

He gets stronger

His read and react time improves

He can get off blocks

And blitz QBs.  

Is that asking too much?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Wouldn’t exactly say they’ve fixed the offensive line… They could certainly use more inside and someone legitimate to compete with Brown at RT who was putrid at times in pass protection. 

Concerning 2022….we have our starters on the OL.  We need depth. Whether or not you approve of Spencer Brown, it seems that McD, Beane and Kromer do.  He was putrid at times. That was expected by most.  They’re counting on improvement.  I don’t see why he wouldn’t improve, playing last season after not playing for over a year.  

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What did the Chargers need to add on offense?   They are loaded at WR and have a RB who scored 20 TD's.  They just drafted a stud LT.   The biggest investment they made this offseason was $20M aav to retain Mike Williams to retain their strong group of play makers.

"The contenders" were already very dynamic offensively and the opposition is trying hard to play catch up because QB play and offense is the name of the game.

IMO........the Bills receiving corps is not as talented as it was in 2020..........they are the annual Gabe Davis lower leg injury away from Jake Kumerow playing meaningful snaps on the outside..........in 2020 they had a top 5 WR corps.........they are middle of the road there now.........which doesn't seem like a great position to be in when your HC/GM say WR is your "fastball".

Additionally.........the OL was really bad last year in games where the Bills weren't using Josh Allen like a RB.   I like retaining Bates but Saffold was a mehcquisition.   

Offense should be a priority here.   I thought you were in agreement with Beane's original statements about protecting Josh being job #1.    That hasn't been the tenor of the offseason so far.   That's OK but hopefully that changes in the draft.   Time to support the only reason the team is a contender........the QB.

The chargers tried to fix the reason they missed the playoffs  Their D.  

Our season ended because of two things. Neither include our offense.  Coaching and not being able to corral Mahomes in the pocket. He’s not going to fire Frazier and I think they did a great job along our DL.

The bengals held Kc to 24.  18 less that we did.  Their pass rush wrecked in the 4th qtr.  The team that won the super bowl last year had the best pass rush and defense in the league (imo).  Not the best offense.  The final score was 23-20.  The rams got a defensive stop to win the game.  It matters.  

It’s an offensive league….I’m not denying that.  I just don’t agree with the thought that Beane is doing something completely different than everyone else.  That’s utter nonsense. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.