Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He for sure has value. That's why a team would want to trade for him. I was looking at guys who have value, but won't kill us to lose. We have our starting DE's locked up for at least the next 3 seasons in Von Miller and Greg Rousseau. In my opinion, I'd sooner let go of Epenesa than Basham.

To me, Basham was more impressive in college than Epenesa. And while Basham underachieved a bit, it was his Rookie year. I feel he has more room to learn and grow than Epenesa does. His two seasons have not impressed me and I've seen very little growth. His lack of impact and growth is why we had to go out and get Von Miller.

I feel we can get his production from Basham, Shaq Lawson, or a mid round pick. If packaging Epenesa will make a trade up happen, I'd have no problem doing it.

Good point, I forgot that they signed Shaq Lawson.  I like him and think he is better than he showed past 2 years.  He was a disappointment in Miami because they way overpaid and then I have no idea what happened last year.  If he is in top condition, he can be a really solid player.

17 minutes ago, Bag of Milk said:

This  guy offers absolutely nothing. Bills connections? LOL

He is a fan who just parrots and cherry picks stuff he sees by others on the internet...and he's not even good at that.

Doesn't seem too bright.

okay.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not one to insist that this player will "be gone" by then..........but I tend to think Troy Anderson won't still be there when the Bills select in round 3.

Could be wrong.......Spencer Brown was a similar freak athlete at a much more prioritized position and he lasted until the end of round 3 despite some 1st and 2nd round talk.     But this draft is starting to get a lot of LB buzz so I suspect there might be a run on them in rounds 2 and 3.

If the Bills want Troy Anderson that badly they probably have to pull the trigger in round 2.......which is crazy early for such a raw prospect.   I think he would make a good Edmunds replacement but I hope they do not take him that early.........there may be a half dozen or more ILB's in this draft who will be as good or better than the plateaued version of Edmunds the Bills have had for the past 2 years.......but McBeane's heart will want what it wants.    That's how they ended up wasting Edmunds' talents as a miscast MLB. 

I could def see the Bills taking a LB, Anderson in round 2. The guy is the complete package and literally everything Edmunds isn’t when it comes to instincts and toughness. He def won’t be on the board at 89, but he would be a hell of a pick at 57. Could def see the Bills going up in round 2 for him or trading back out of round 1. 

6 hours ago, Logic said:

The two key questions here:

Who would the Bills be moving up for?

What veterans have trade value?

The logical answers to the first question would seem to be a corner or WR. Maybe they really like Derek Stingley or Jameson Williams.

The only answers I could come up with to the second question are Tremaine Edmunds and Zack Moss. 

Interesting report. I can’t see them moving up TOO high, as it would cost a ton to get from 25th into the top 10. Maybe they just want to get inside the top 20 to ensure they get one of these WRs or CBS before the talent level drops off.

Zack Moss would bring almost nothing in a trade. In fact, they would be lucky to get anything at all for him. Edmunds might be the player that would give up but there is no direct answer for who takes his spot on the roster.  

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I could def see the Bills taking a LB, Anderson in round 2. The guy is the complete package and literally everything Edmunds isn’t when it comes to instincts and toughness. He def won’t be on the board at 89, but he would be a hell of a pick at 57. Could def see the Bills going up in round 2 for him or trading back out of round 1. 

I have a feeling you could be correct.    Big fan of his talent but don't love the value in round 2.    The difference in the quality of your off-ball LB's in your team success itself isn't particularly different between average and excellent ones.   But I don't think the defense-centric McDermott sees it that way though and Anderson is definitely a box checker in many areas.   I will smh if they go CB in round 1 and then trade up for an off-ball LB with the first two picks though.........as should Josh Allen, IMO.

2 hours ago, Logic said:

The first round of the draft is said to be weak OVERALL by most experts' reckoning, this is true. The 1st round draft pool is shallow, meaning that after the first 10-12 picks, anyone you pick probably has a "true" 2nd round value. All the more reason for a team like the Bills, sitting at 25, to say "I'd rather get a true 1st rounder with my 1st round pick by trading up than staying at 25 and getting a guy that would be a 2nd rounder most years".

It also doesn't mean that there aren't some superstar level talents coming out. Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley both profile as Pro Bowl caliber cornerbacks. 

The rumor may very well be just smoke, as you say. But if anything, the draft having a big dropoff in talent after the first half of the first round is MORE reason to trade up, not less.

I understand your point but I disagree when its applied to the Buffalo Bills team. Truthfully, I don't see anyone in the top 10 or 12 picks that justifies a Bills move up. The cost would be way way too much and the compensation is risky and borderline.  Imho, it would be a huge blunder and Beane is way to intelligent to make such a foolish move. 

2 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

They're not going up to #2 or #3, which is where Hamilton is stated to go right now.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cynthia-frelund-2022-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-lions-nab-kyle-hamilton-at-no-2-zero-qbs

There is word out there that Hamilton is dropping and that scouts aren’t as high on him as the media. Some are saying 10-20 now instead of top 5 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For whom though? 

It makes sense to move whatever draft capitol it takes when you're after core players like Franchise QB.

My 'wish list' is going up to the Commanders' #11 pick and getting Trent McDuffie, who to me would perfectly fit the Buffalo Bills player template.   

That may be why Beane was so pissed at Washington over the McKissic cluster****.   He thought he had a good working relationship with that FO and could work future deals with them.

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Seems like a really bad draft to move up in the first round…

The tweet didn’t say they wanted to be aggressive in trading up in the first round, just that they want to be aggressive trading up.  I’m sure they’d make a move in the first if the right prospect fell, but the sweet spot in this draft is day 2 (and probably even into the 4th round).  Look for them to want to stock up on talent there 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

There is word out there that Hamilton is dropping and that scouts aren’t as high on him as the media. Some are saying 10-20 now instead of top 5 

It's silly season, where smoke and mirrors are all we hear about.   

If so, cool.  But probably not.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

For the players I would love to see them get........that's generally the case as I see the board landing, IMO.

Doesn't mean that quality won't fall to you though............a lot of people were enamored with Zay Jones and his surreal amount of catches in college and were glad McDermott/Whaley traded up for him..........but Cooper Kupp has turned out to be a whole lot better player.   

Not saying they should sit on their hands but they've been hit and miss with trade ups in the 5 drafts since McDermott has been here.    Allen was obviously a great one and Dawkins and Knox worked out very well.    Zay Jones and Cody Ford were spectacular failures and the Edmunds trade hasn't turned out to have been worth the squeeze with two play-making ALL PRO ILB's drafted soon after him.

I thought we were trading up to take DK Metcalf and was stoked… then it ended up being Ford lol.  

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

I thought we were trading up to take DK Metcalf and was stoked… then it ended up being Ford lol.  

They were so pumped to get Ford...But he is such a ‘sloth’ of an athlete...2nd round is the Bills’ kryptonite...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Kyle Hamilton is the defensive player McDermott has been wanting since he’s arrived in Buffalo.

As talented as Hamilton is, I can't lie, if Beane were to trade up for him, I'd be disappointed...maybe it's the fact Hyde and Poyer just had unbelievable seasons, or the glaring need at CB, or the glut of uber talented WR's, but that's the one trade up player I'd least want to see.  

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They aren’t trading Hyde. Poyer and Edmunds the most likely in this scenario.

I would be shocked if they trade Poyer. Why destroy the best thing going in your secondary when you have zero backup?

We could survive trading Stef if we replace him with a first round WR, a solid vet, and another WR.

• Dislike 1

I think the holes at CB and the right side of the OL both need to be addressed and there will be good value on day 2 at those positions. I think it more likely that they'll trade down and try to grab a couple picks in the 2nd round. WR and RB would also be nice adds, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to move many guys to fill out those position groups when we already have solid starters there.

I think this is plausible for a couple reasons. Giants make a natural partner and the Bills don't need as much depth as they do an impact player at an impact position that would be cap friendly for a few years. This makes me think the target is Hamilton or Gardner. 

28 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

As talented as Hamilton is, I can't lie, if Beane were to trade up for him, I'd be disappointed...maybe it's the fact Hyde and Poyer just had unbelievable seasons, or the glaring need at CB, or the glut of uber talented WR's, but that's the one trade up player I'd least want to see.  

If we did draft Hamilton I think we play a ton of Big Nickle and Poyer and Hyde are not traded. More of a 4-2-5 base defense. We certainly have the DL. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Broncos added Russell Wilson.

AFC champ Cinci totally re-built their OL.

Raiders added the league's best WR Davonte Adams to a team that already made the playoffs.

The Dolphins added Tyreek Hill to a team that won 9 straight games late last season........they figure to contend for a WC at least.

Browns added a great QB talent and a $20M WR in Amari Cooper.

Colts added a legit good starting QB..........Matt Ryan actually played really well despite being on an overmatched team in the game in Buffalo this year..........only game of the year where he was not credited with a "bad throw".    He is better than most at dissecting the kind of things the Bills do defensively.

There were a lot of good moves made.........the teams you are talking about were already offense/QB driven teams.    

I agree with Scott that the league isn't suddenly trying to become great at defense..........the focus for the most part is matching the offensive fire power of the defending division champ type teams. 

I didn’t say that the league was suddenly trying to become great @ defense.  I just don’t think that the contending teams were going offense over defense. 

the bengals were the only team that really made big offensive moves without making any big defensive moves.  

the broncos added wilson…..   of course they added a super bowl franchise QB when one became available.  Ditto for the Browns.  While 2 teams got better on O….seattle and Houston got worse.  

chiefs and rams got worse on O.

Chargers added all D and retained Williams.  

the raiders got adams….and they also got CJones and started to overturn their secondary.  new coach- offensive coordinator 

miami-  I’m talking about contenders and I I don’t think they’re a contender.  They have a new HC that is an offensive guy.  They had a very good d and a terrible O….of course they attacked the offensive side of the ball. They’re trying to become relevant.  

Teams were trying to fix what was wrong…….  Not much wrong with our O except IOL.  We fixed it.  Sure, we need another star WR….but we decided to rather get a super star pass rusher after we couldn’t sack Mahomes.  Tough to get another super star on O considering we had 2M of cap to start.  I think our defensive moves will prove to be just what we need.

But let’s not forget Saffold, Howard, crowder and Duke Johnson.  And it’s not even April.  

What he is doing doesn’t have to be classified as zagging or zigging.  He’s just kicking ***.   Beane is doing what he normally does.  Improve our team.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2

I was going to start a post on Monday on how I really felt the Bills were going to move up in this draft. This roster is stacked and they only need a stud CB to complete it.  Yes, I can also see going after Hall or Jameson or another top WR.

I feel the FO is saying we need 2 impact players (and a shot at a 3rd)  under team control for 4-5 years. Let's identify them and do whatever it takes to get them in a Bills uni.  After Rd 3 or 4, I don't see another draft pick making this team unless they find some hidden gem out of nowhere.  This draft is about getting a CB/WR and maybe another G and RB. The first two they have identified their targets and will move to get them, like they did with Allen and Edmonds.  

After that it's taking swings on potential with a Safety, LB, RB.  I totally trust this FO to make it happen. Can't wait for the draft!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.