Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

2 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

This imo really depends and is not set in stone. I use drafttek https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=buf. Our pick has value of 720, lets say Bills next year is in average 27 which is 680. Together it is 1400, while pick 7 is 1500. So maybe we need to throw in this year's 3 or really a player. People often say that next years draft picks have smaller value. I am not sure why, but if that is really the case then in theory it should be more expensive for us. But if Giants want that extra 1st round next year badly and have no other offers, then who knows. 

Fair enough.

Teams also don't ALWAYS get the draft trade value chart value on trades like this. If I'm not mistaken, the Bills didn't get full trade chart value on the trade-down in 2017, when they took Tre White.

If Schoen likes the deal, I doubt 100 points on a value chart is gonna stop him. OR...I could be totally wrong, and he sticks to the chart like glue, and the Bills have to throw in another pick. Who knows.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

Maybe we all have it wrong.

Maybe Beane plans to sign a veteran CB, really likes Dane Jackson, and only wants to move ahead of the Pats to 19 or so to ensure that he gets a prime WR. 

Certainly a move up from 25 to 19 is more doable and less expensive in terms of draft capital than a move all the way to 7 would be.

Maybe Jameson Williams gives Beane a half chub?

Dane Jackson only allowed 50% completions last year, I want to say opposing QBs were 22-44 

32 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Beane and McDermott discussing their draft plans.

5KY2b2.gif

What…, 

1 minute ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Dane Jackson only allowed 50% completions last year, I want to say opposing QBs were 22-44 

When asked about corners recently, McDermott basically said "first, let me mention that Tre White is doing great in rehab. Second, we have great faith in Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis."

Now, obviously a coach is going to say he has faith in his guys, and we know McDermott's answers are pretty vanilla in general, but...It doesn't seem inconceivable to me that they really DO like Dane Jackson and Cam Lewis, that Tre White will be ready by October, and that they plan to sign a veteran CB. We already know they were in on Patrick Peterson.

A cornerback depth chart of:

Dane Jackson

Joe Haden or Steven Nelson

Taron Johnson
Mid round draftee (Cam Taylor-Britt or Josh Williams type)

Cam Lewis

...until Tre White comes back...would not shock me.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

This imo really depends and is not set in stone. I use drafttek https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=buf. Our pick has value of 720, lets say Bills next year is in average 27 which is 680. Together it is 1400, while pick 7 is 1500. So maybe we need to throw in this year's 3 or really a player. People often say that next years draft picks have smaller value. I am not sure why, but if that is really the case then in theory it should be more expensive for us. But if Giants want that extra 1st round next year badly and have no other offers, then who knows. 

This is not true. NFL teams dont value future 1st rounders as 1st rounders. They always take future picks and lower it a round since they have to wait. 

So the Giants are 1,500 for the 7th overall pick

The Bills in your scenario are really trading a 2022 1st, a 2022 2nd(in your scenario a 2023 1st), and a 2022 3rd rounder

720+330+145=1195= That would leave the Bills roughly 300 short. We would have to throw in another likely high pick 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this rumor is nothing but smoke. This draft is weak by most experts. There are no benifide super star stud coming out of this draft. Sure there could be a few that turn into something special. Which ones is anyone's guess. This draft class doesn't fit the bill for the Bills to move up. The WR class is pretty deep so moving up for one seems to be premature. I'm sure the Bills can get a WR without moving up that may be even better than the previous drafted wide out. Look at Sammy Watson for an example. In short, I just don't see the Bills moving up in the first round. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think this rumor is nothing but smoke. This draft is weak by most experts. There are no benifide super star stud coming out of this draft. Sure there could be a few that turn into something special. Which ones is anyone's guess. This draft class doesn't fit the bill for the Bills to move up. The WR class is pretty deep so moving up for one seems to be premature. I'm sure the Bills can get a WR without moving up that may be even better than the previous drafted wide out. Look at Sammy Watson for an example. In short, I just don't see the Bills moving up in the first round. 

The first round of the draft is said to be weak OVERALL by most experts' reckoning, this is true. The 1st round draft pool is shallow, meaning that after the first 10-12 picks, anyone you pick probably has a "true" 2nd round value. All the more reason for a team like the Bills, sitting at 25, to say "I'd rather get a true 1st rounder with my 1st round pick by trading up than staying at 25 and getting a guy that would be a 2nd rounder most years".

It also doesn't mean that there aren't some superstar level talents coming out. Sauce Gardner and Derek Stingley both profile as Pro Bowl caliber cornerbacks. 

The rumor may very well be just smoke, as you say. But if anything, the draft having a big dropoff in talent after the first half of the first round is MORE reason to trade up, not less.

Edited by Logic

I really hope that the Bills do NOT trade their first round pick in 2023. This draft sucks. It is the worst that I have seen in many years. I cannot imagine the 2023 draft not being better than this one. 

Trading away picks from 2023 would be a move that would be reminiscent to the Whaley type of lack of discipline and sheer incompetence.

I'm hoping that we are finally above this.

• Like (+1) 1

This would be out of character for this front office, mainly because since 2019 the front office has mainly just “let the draft come to them” there have been some trade ups but nothing major. 

I just don’t buy rumors coming out of this tight lipped front office. I suspect they just stay at pick 25 and see who the best corner is and take them if the value is solid.

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

I really hope that the Bills do NOT trade their first round pick in 2023. This draft sucks. It is the worst that I have seen in many years. I cannot imagine the 2023 draft not being better than this one. 

Trading away picks from 2023 would be a move that would be reminiscent to the Whaley type of lack of discipline and sheer incompetence.

I'm hoping that we are finally above this.

I am certainly no judge, but I’ve heard multiple people say there are only 6-8 true first round talents in this draft, about half of what is more typical. IDK, maybe they are all parroting each other, but getting into the top 8 is crazy expensive. 

Having said that, maybe there is a guy or two they love, but they expect them to go off the board a half dozen picks ahead of them. We all know Beane likes to hop around, so nothing would shock me. 

18 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Get Smart. The cone of silence. It was a TV comedy show back in the 60's. Whenever they wanted to have a private conversation they used the cone of silence .

I was goofing on the picture 

Edited by Don Otreply

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.