Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

15 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

Nothing like hearing non-stop nonsense rumors for the next month!  

They usually aren’t nonsense at all. We telegraph what we’re trying to do and there’s been leaks each year. People just pretend there isn’t.

Edited by Governor

6 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I don't want to trade Diggs at all but I think these are realities we have to start considering. 2 weeks ago I couldn't see a scenario where Diggs doesn't retire here.... thanks to MIA JAX LVR, there's a chance we might not be able to re-sign him. If Diggs wants top 3 money... what do we do? Ugly thought to consider

Beane is a WIZARD

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah I’ve heard the Giants want to turn one of their 1sts into a 2023 1st.

I wonder if the Bills would trade #25 and next year’s first for Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley. They certainly seem to be in an aggressive “win now” mindset, and while it would suck to give up next year’s 1st, corner IS a high value position, and a White/Stingley or White/Gardner pairing could take this defense to the next level.

The presence of close Beane buddy Joe Schoen in the top ten — twice, no less — and wanting to trade down is certainly interesting…

I love draft picks and I hate giving them up. But more I think about this the more it makes sense.

Just as you said. Giants want to trade down. There is a connection between GMs. Beane has clearly decided to go more "all-in" than last year (already evidenced by Von Miller signing). If, from any reason Beane believes that some player available at 7 gets us over the top (Gardner?), I can see him pullting the trigger. And I probably wouldn't be fully against it. 

Problem I see is that even our 1st rounder next year isn't probably enough - Giants know that most likely it will again be 25th pick at best, probably much worse. Therefore, adding an established vet who might have some value to Giants makes sense. I have no idea who that might be. I seriously doubt we are trading away Edmunds if we don't have his replacement.

It also requires additional $2.3M or so cap space this year (for higher drafted rookie), which means even more mortgaging of the future. 

However, if they think this way, deal can happen on draft night only. They are not moving up like this without being certain that their guy is there. 

Edited by No_Matter_What
  • Like (+1) 1

No starters. If a team wants a Zack Moss, AJ Epenesa, or a Cody Ford to sweeten the pot, sure, go nuts. But I don't like the idea of creating extra holes and unnecessarily messing with the continuity of our starting units as part of a trade up for guys who aren't sure things.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo619 said:

Please trade Edmunds!!

For the life of me I don’t understand these posts. 

There are logical reasons to trade him because it’s his final year but I’ve never seen a fan base want to trade a young captain on a successful team so badly. He’s a great teammate and always professional. He’s not in the news asking for money. 

I will never understand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah I’ve heard the Giants want to turn one of their 1sts into a 2023 1st.

I wonder if the Bills would trade #25 and next year’s first for Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley. They certainly seem to be in an aggressive “win now” mindset, and while it would suck to give up next year’s 1st, corner IS a high value position, and a White/Stingley or White/Gardner pairing could take this defense to the next level.

The presence of close Beane buddy Joe Schoen in the top ten — twice, no less — and wanting to trade down is certainly interesting…

I don't like giving up 1sts either but I agree, getting a lockdown corner to go opposite Tre suddenly fills the only real hole on this defense. Then grab a WR in the second and a OG in the 3rd, then a speedy RB.

Wow, that would be hard for me to fault

• Like (+1) 1

On a related note, I think people who are adamant that trading Edmunds is completely out of question and are 100% sure that he is in Bills longterm plans could be possibly in for a big surprise. I think Milano restructure this offseason (the only one known right now along with Hyde) is very telling. Milano is definitely in longterm plans, and we are paying second LBs big money only in case that he really deserves it (and I am not sure of that even in such case, given that we still need to pay Diggs, Oliver, Knox, etc.).

I really think Edmunds is on trading block. Only problem I see is that trading him creates a hole. It can be filled by 2nd round LB, but we still need OG and WR drafted fairly high.

This will be fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I love draft picks and I hate giving them up. But more I think about this the more it makes sense.

Just as you said. Giants want to trade down. There is a connection between GMs. Beane has clearly decided to go more "all-in" than last year (already evidenced by Von Miller signing). If, from any reason Beane believes that some player available at 7 gets us over the top (Gardner?), I can see him pullting the trigger. And I probably wouldn't be fully against it. 

Problem I see is that even our 1st rounder next year isn't probably enough - Giants know that most likely it will again be 25th pick at best, probably much worse. Therefore, adding an established vet who might have some value to Giants makes sense. I have no idea who that might be. I seriously doubt we are trading away Edmunds if we don't have his replacement.

It also requires additional $2.3M or so cap space this year (for higher drafted rookie), which means even more mortgaging of the future. 

However, if they think this way, deal can happen on draft night only. They are not moving up like this without being certain that their guy is there. 

Someone earlier in this thread looked up the trade value chart and saw that our 1st this year, 1st next year, 3rd this year gets us almost to the Giants' pick, but falls a bit short. More likely it would have to be our 1st AND 2nd this year and our 1st next year, and we could maybe get a late round throw-in pick back, too.

That's a lot of cheddar. It's hard to believe Brandon "I love my draft picks" Beane would give up that much. Then again, corner really is a premium position, five years of cheap labor there would be huge, and it's hard to argue that a Tre White/Sauce Gardner pairing wouldn't potentially push this defense into a new stratosphere. 

We also can't overlook the sudden increase in offensive potency of the AFC as a whole, or the fact that giving up 35+ to the Chiefs in back to back playoffs kept us out of the Super Bowl.

I'll tell ya what: If a truly top tier pass defense can get us past the Chiefs and the rest of the potent AFC playoff field and help us win a title, I won't give a second thought to the draft capital it took to help make it happen. I doubt Rams fans are crying about all the draft picks THEY'VE given up in recent years as they order their "Super Bowl Champions" gear.

11 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

Considering the Giants have oline issues, Dawkins might appeal to them. Dabol could also want Knox, but either way the Giants will know how we value our vets and would have an advantage in putting a package together. But, as I've looked at these drafts it seems like a move up via the Eagles to 19 would get us above the steelers and pats or even up to 16 to get us above the chargers. Don't have an idea of how a trade would look with them though.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

4 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

On a related note, I think people who are adamant that trading Edmunds is completely out of question and are 100% sure that he is in Bills longterm plans could be possibly in for a big surprise. I think Milano restructure this offseason (the only one known right now along with Hyde) is very telling. Milano is definitely in longterm plans, and we are paying second LBs big money only in case that he really deserves it (and I am not sure of that even in such case, given that we still need to pay Diggs, Oliver, Knox, etc.).

I really think Edmunds is on trading block. Only problem I see is that trading him creates a hole. It can be filled by 2nd round LB, but we still need OG and WR drafted fairly high.

This will be fun to watch.

I think they tried to move him last season but had no takers.

Maybe we all have it wrong.

Maybe Beane plans to sign a veteran CB, really likes Dane Jackson, and only wants to move ahead of the Pats to 19 or so to ensure that he gets a prime WR. 

Certainly a move up from 25 to 19 is more doable and less expensive in terms of draft capital than a move all the way to 7 would be.

Maybe Jameson Williams gives Beane a half chub?

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Logic said:

Someone earlier in this thread looked up the trade value chart and saw that our 1st this year, 1st next year, 3rd this year gets us almost to the Giants' pick, but falls a bit short. More likely it would have to be our 1st AND 2nd this year and our 1st next year, and we could maybe get a late round throw-in pick back, too.

This imo really depends and is not set in stone. I use drafttek https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=buf. Our pick has value of 720, lets say Bills next year is in average 27 which is 680. Together it is 1400, while pick 7 is 1500. So maybe we need to throw in this year's 3 or really a player. People often say that next years draft picks have smaller value. I am not sure why, but if that is really the case then in theory it should be more expensive for us. But if Giants want that extra 1st round next year badly and have no other offers, then who knows. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.