Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The two key questions here:

Who would the Bills be moving up for?

What veterans have trade value?

The logical answers to the first question would seem to be a corner or WR. Maybe they really like Derek Stingley or Jameson Williams.

The only answers I could come up with to the second question are Tremaine Edmunds and Zack Moss. 

Interesting report. I can’t see them moving up TOO high, as it would cost a ton to get from 25th into the top 10. Maybe they just want to get inside the top 20 to ensure they get one of these WRs or CBS before the talent level drops off.

It doesn’t say 1st round, I doubt that’s what he’s referring to here. And you can’t get far in the 1st anyway without giving up picks. For vet players it sounds like a day 2 package. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, mathja said:

With all of the defensive lineman brought in, I wonder if boogie basham or aj epenesa have enough value to move up in the draft. 

We don’t think of them as “veterans” but they are not rookies. Both are recent second round picks. 

Moving one of them with the teams first round pick to move up some spots would feel an awful lot like that Cordy Glenn trade.Moving one of them with the teams first round pick to move up some spots would feel an awful lot like that cordy glenn trade.

except Cordy Glenn was considered a very good tackle (not elite) with over 4500 snaps. 

Epenesa and Basham rarely see the field in a d-line rotation.

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

Rumoms and Beane should not be in same sentence.

I believe you were the first to mention Rumoms and Beane in a sentence. But I heard a rumor that Beane is big on Rumoms

22 minutes ago, PonyBoy said:

A little off topic, I grew up in the neighborhood and went to grade school with Zig Fracassi. He went by Ziggy then, real name Angelo. He wasn't good at sports but he was crazy knowledgeable about them. Good dude. 

In the Faĺls, per chance? 

Edited by The Dean

Beane is pretty stealth about his plans, but if hes reached out and inquired about a potential move up, I can see how it leaked out of that teams side.  

So, its certainly possible we might make a trade up just on the sheer fact that we don't have an easy roster for rookies to make.  Going after a player he covets that can immediately help this team certainly makes sense for a team like us right now.  

Its gonna def be interesting to see how this plays out, hard to put stock into any Bills rumors the way Beane stealthy operates, but a trade up wouldn't surprise me at all, especially for a CB.

• Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Mike Love and Brandin Bryant are still on roster 

as is that DT from California we got late in the season but I don't think of any of them making the final 53.

14 minutes ago, Georgie said:

Brown and Tasker talked about this subject today. Used the Bills as an example but not a substantiated rumor. Is that where this comes from?

Very well could be as sometimes "journalists" make up news just for click bait. 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Beane is pretty stealth about his plans, but if hes reached out and inquired about a potential move up, I can see how it leaked out of that teams side.  

So, its certainly possible we might make a trade up just on the sheer fact that we don't have an easy roster for rookies to make.  Going after a player he covets that can immediately help this team certainly makes sense for a team like us right now.  

Its gonna def be interesting to see how this plays out, hard to put stock into any Bills rumors the way Beane stealthy operates, but a trade up wouldn't surprise me at all, especially for a CB.

Yeah I have to say that the idea of moving up for a CB makes sense to me.

We know that

1. Beane has a history of moving up for players he covets. He has done so in the past and spoken about this approach many times.
2. The Bills roster will be tough for eight rookies to make, as you mentioned, meaning that a trade-up or two is likely.
3. The Bills seem to have adopted an aggressive "win now" mentality, as evidenced by Von Miller move and spending to the cap.

4. Corner is a high value position, one in which the Bills are currently highly deficient and where they could really use a cost controlled five-year deal.

All of these facts combine to make me think that if Beane really liked a corner -- or any position really, but especially corner -- he would move up without hesitation.

2 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Anything reported I immediately take as little chance of happening. Beane runs a tight ship. Things don’t get leaked from this organization. 

Several people have said this in this thread, and several times the reply has been the same: BEANE runs a tight ship, but if he's reached out to several teams to gage their interest in trading, it's definitely possible that one of those teams were the ones to do the leaking.

Teams also INTENTIONALLY leak things at this time of years for various strategic reasons, whether it be subterfuge and misdirection or the solicitation of offers from other teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Giants clearly want to come out of this draft with an extra 1st next year.  Nobody seems in love with the QB’s in this draft so it’s probably not happening that way for Giants.  Maybe Bills trade pick 25, next years 1st and Poyer for pick 7.  Bills take Hamilton and have their QB of the defense for next 10 years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Would think that if this is true, that the veteran player or players traded to move up would be players that have not restructured their deals this offseason to provide more cap space because of the cap hit that would result (i.e., Milano).  This should mean that we can narrow the possible veteran player(s) that would be traded.

12 minutes ago, wppete said:

I’m thinking we resign Jerry Hughes and trade some draft picks and Dane Jackson & AJ Epenesa to move up and get CB Sauce Gardner. 

I hope that we resign Jerry….but there’s a good chance sauce goes #4 overall….. we aren’t going that high. No way

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The two key questions here:

Who would the Bills be moving up for?

What veterans have trade value?

The logical answers to the first question would seem to be a corner or WR. Maybe they really like Derek Stingley or Jameson Williams.

The only answers I could come up with to the second question are Tremaine Edmunds and Zack Moss. 

Interesting report. I can’t see them moving up TOO high, as it would cost a ton to get from 25th into the top 10. Maybe they just want to get inside the top 20 to ensure they get one of these WRs or CBS before the talent level drops off.

I just can’t see us making a hole that has to be filled in a year when we are making a super bowl push. For instance, trading Edmonds for a lber makes sense in the long term, but not for our chances this season, especially if we trade picks too, because it’s then less chances to fill depth. 

I would prefer trading future assets vs making a hole that is filled by a rookie. The Bills must have their eyes on a player or a couple who might not be there at 25 and we may have to move up a bit and this is Beane doing his due diligence prior to the draft (kind of like how we had a tentative deal with the Broncos in 2018 draft).

Lastly, I just can’t fathom trading a starter for someone like Williams. We’d get no immediate ROI while also making a hole. That would not help us make a super bowl push this year. 

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It doesn’t say 1st round, I doubt that’s what he’s referring to here. And you can’t get far in the 1st anyway without giving up picks. For vet players it sounds like a day 2 package. 

This is an excellent point. It doesn’t say first round, and it seems like day 2 (second and third round) are where teams can get some good value too. I really would like 4 picks in the first 3 rounds. 

If they do trade Edmunds to move up, it might actually be for his replacement.

IMO, that would be Devin Lloyd LB Utah.

A beast of a LB, and definitely a McBeane type of player.

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.