Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I like it but the move is for WR.  I think picking up another vet CB is in the works - Rhodes/Nelson/Haden.

As the TSW draft showed, the top tier WRs have a huge runoff in the 5-8 spots right in front of us.  Don't tell me Beane doesn't read the board.

Beane doesn't read the board.

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Zack Moss has virtually zero value. And yes, we all dream of Edmunds being dumped...

But two options a little different then mentioned that I think are the best suspects due to their impending free agency and return value...

I would not be the slightest but surprised if we dealt Singletary.  He will have more value than Mosas and he is an impending FA we are not going to retain. 

Another surprise candidate might be Dawson Knox. If management has a sense of the money he wants in FA and how TEs can be overpaid, they might have signed Howard to move on from Knox and get a return before he leaves in Free Agency.  

Remember you need to give something of value to get something.  No one wants Epenesa or Cody Ford.

Won't be a popular opinion, but personally I would move Diggs before Knox. There's no way there is going to be room to keep him long term with given the current WR market that is only going to keep climbing higher.

And no matter what people think and read into his social media, Diggs is not taking a 'hometown' discount for this team. He knows he's worth big time money and guarantee those demands have already been made by him and his agent to Beane the minute the Adams and Hill deals and contracts were done.

13 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I anticipate a move up. Doesn't mean it'll be in the first round.

I personally feel like there is a lot more value to be gained by moving up in the 2nd/3rd as opposed to the 1st.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Zack Moss has virtually zero value. And yes, we all dream of Edmunds being dumped...

But two options a little different then mentioned that I think are the best suspects due to their impending free agency and return value...

I would not be the slightest but surprised if we dealt Singletary.  He will have more value than Mosas and he is an impending FA we are not going to retain. 

Another surprise candidate might be Dawson Knox. If management has a sense of the money he wants in FA and how TEs can be overpaid, they might have signed Howard to move on from Knox and get a return before he leaves in Free Agency.  

Remember you need to give something of value to get something.  No one wants Epenesa or Cody Ford.

Moving Knox would be absolutely gross. 

TE is an increasingly high paid position, except unlike WR, it can take years to develop guys at that position.   We finally have one.  

If they thought Howard could be his replacement, you don’t sign him to a 1 year deal.  Best case scenario Howard kills it and then we just have to pay him similar money as Knox would’ve cost. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Do the Bills stand a better chance of getting three starters by trading up and ending up with (say) only 4 total picks or keeping all their picks and assuming the hit percentage is better with numbers?  When you trade up, losing picks is a certainty.  Knowing that the picks you move up for are worth it is far from certain.  I'm in favor of whatever strategy gets more starters on rookie contracts.

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Vets that are valuable would be Hyde, Poyer, Dawkins, Diggs but you create hole but gain cap space. Interesting. 

unless you have depth at a position you coukd be trading a player and then using that pick to replace the player you traded.

that’s what Minnesota did with Buffalo 1st fir Diggs…they drafted a WR

when buffalo traded Peters to PHL fir their 1st they drafted an OL

Outside of a pure cap space creating move, these kind of trades rarely come out as winning.

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I'll trade the Giants 25 and a first next year for the 5th pick and call it a day.  Maybe get them to give us a 4th in 2023.  

The Giants would be getting absolutely fleeced haha

No chance they’d go for this. 

A little off topic, I grew up in the neighborhood and went to grade school with Zig Fracassi. He went by Ziggy then, real name Angelo. He wasn't good at sports but he was crazy knowledgeable about them. Good dude. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

unless you have depth at a position you coukd be trading a player and then using that pick to replace the player you traded.

that’s what Minnesota did with Buffalo 1st fir Diggs…they drafted a WR

when buffalo traded Peters to PHL fir their 1st they drafted an OL

Outside of a pure cap space creating move, these kind of trades rarely come out as winning.

Again, this is also why I woudn't be shocked if Diggs is moved.

He's been great for this team but looking strictly at the production on paper, the Vikings landed the better,  younger, and most importantly cheaper player with the pick we sent them for Diggs.

Bills don't have any vets to include in a trade besides Edmunds. And that's the captain of the defense and then who is your MLB? Do they think Tre White is toast after the injury? I can't imagine anyone giving up too much for him if his team wants to trade him after a bad injury, that would be super suspicious and a red flag. I don't mind using some late round picks to trade up but trading up in the 1st round costs multiple 1sts or 2nds to do so

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Bills don't have any vets to include in a trade besides Edmunds. And that's the captain of the defense and then who is your MLB? Do they think Tre White is toast after the injury? I can't imagine anyone giving up too much for him if his team wants to trade him after a bad injury, that would be super suspicious and a red flag. I don't mind using some late round picks to trade up but trading up in the 1st round costs multiple 1sts or 2nds to do so

Cap and contract wise Poyer and Edmunds make sense to trade. Either trade them or extend them. Edmunds makes no sense to keep on a 1 year deal. Poyer I could understand keeping on 1year based on age.

Many ways to analyze this:

Who are the potential players that could be moved?

Diggs- Probably at most fetches a mid first rounder (low likelihood due to the Bills chances at winning it all and they could hold off another year before they make the move)

Edmunds- Probably fetches a low to mid 2nd round value (low to mid likelihood, He probably isn’t worth what he will command on the open market, this would be the year to trade to get some value for him, however trading him does create a hole and it could be difficult to replace with similar level of play)

Poyer - probably fetches an early 3rd value ( Likelihood low, he’s a team veteran and popular with the team and the trade value won’t most likely net a suitable replacement)

Motor - probably fetches a mid 3rd to early 4th round value ( likelihood is low to mid.  If they love one of the top two backs in the draft and they think they need it to move up a couple spots it could make sense, but without replacing him I don’t see it)

Epenesa - Probably fetches a mid 5th to 6th round pick (likelihood is mid, DE room is getting crowded, his production wouldn’t be missed, but he wouldn’t net much of a difference in terms of moving up for a 1st rounder)

Moss - Probably fetches a 6th rounder ( Likelihood is mid to high, can easily replace his production but his net value wouldn’t assist with moving up with a 1st round selection.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

He's been great for this team but looking strictly at the production on paper, the Vikings landed the better,  younger, and most importantly cheaper player with the pick we sent them for Diggs.

If we’re looking at production on paper, they’re virtually identical.

The rest of the the stuff you listed isn’t “production on paper.” 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.