Rumor: Bills want to move up in draft, may move a veteran or two to accomplish it

Logic

We all agree that 8 rookies are not making this roster and that, therefore, trade-ups are likely.

Wouldn’t shock me if they thought that getting an elite corner on a cost-controlled 5-year deal was worth the cost of moving up and might be the “finishing touch” on this roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

Edmunds isn't going anywhere.

I still wouldn't rule it out given the amount of cap space it would free up and the fact we aren't likely paying him upwards of $15M - $20M a year going forward.

It makes too much sense to move him now instead of keeping him for a lame duck season even if he were to put together his best NFL season in a contract year (which would make him even more expensive anyway).

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Beane just doesnt let this kind of info out

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Could be any team he’s called to move up.

I second Buffalo_Stampede’s comment, but also…I could see this getting out if Beane WANTS it to get out for strategic reasons.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

Zig is good. I’m not saying this is a lead pipe lock, but it’s also not nothing.

Don’t be surprised if it happens. And for the love of God, let’s not turn this into a Tremaine Edmunds thread!

A perpetual Josh Allen trade is in the works!

Every year Josh Allen goes to the worst team in the NFL, and in return the Buffalo Bills get the first pick in the NFL draft. This year we get the 1st overall pick and the Jags get Allen. Next year maybe the Falcons get Josh Allen, and we get the first pick in the draft. Maybe Indy starts tanking just to get Josh Allen for 1 year. Suddenly really good players are taking pay cuts to go to terrible organizations so they can be around Josh Allen (in shorts!). 6 years later the Bills have 4 firsts and 6 seconds just by trading out of the pick and/or perpetually trading QB's.

This happens for eternity/until Josh Allen dies. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

The two key questions here:

Who would the Bills be moving up for?

What veterans have trade value?

The logical answers to the first question would seem to be a corner or WR. Maybe they really like Derek Stingley or Jameson Williams.

The only answers I could come up with to the second question are Tremaine Edmunds and Zack Moss. 

Interesting report. I can’t see them moving up TOO high, as it would cost a ton to get from 25th into the top 10. Maybe they just want to get inside the top 20 to ensure they get one of these WRs or CBS before the talent level drops off.

I will add to your insights here.   Moss for sure could be dealt.  Edmunds woiuld be a tough trade to make unless new team knows they can extend to buy down Yr 1 cap hit.  

As for who they are targeting I agree there may be a CB or WR they feel they must secure.  Matches the high cost position theory - stack talent on different contracts to survive loss of a key player in the future (Diggs or White)

I believe Cody Ford and Epenesa could also be on the block.  Why?  OBD re-signed 2 Gs and added another IOL in FA.  and we are meeting with a bunch of IOLs in draft process.  Not that OBD will take a G high.  As for DE, the draft is full of Edge talent and Shaq Lawson > Aj Epenesa imho, so why not deal AJ at this point.  Miller, Groot, Boogie and Shaq give them 4 DEs and they can draft another.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, freddyjj said:

I will add to your insights here.   Moss for sure could be dealt.  Edmunds woiuld be a tough trade to make unless new team knows they can extend to buy down Yr 1 cap hit.  

As for who they are targeting I agree there may be a CB or WR they feel they must secure.  Matches the high cost position theory - stack talent on different contracts to survive loss of a key player in the future (Diggs or White)

I believe Cody Ford and Epenesa could also be on the block.  Why?  OBD re-signed 2 Gs and added another IOL in FA.  and we are meeting with a bunch of IOLs in draft process.  Not that OBD will take a G high.  As for DE, the draft is full of Edge talent and Shaq Lawson > Aj Epenesa imho, so why not deal AJ at this point.  Miller, Groot, Boogie and Shaq give them 4 DEs and they can draft another.  

You package together Moss, Ford, and Epenesa- you get from 25 to 24.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Bills under Beane have gotten very aggressive with moving up when they see someone they want...multiple moves to get up to 7 to draft Allen, first trading our LT to Cincy and swapping picks to get to 12 and then giving up 2 2nds to move from 12 to 7 with TB.  Also moved up to get Edmunds.  

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah I’ve heard the Giants want to turn one of their 1sts into a 2023 1st.

I wonder if the Bills would trade #25 and next year’s first for Sauce Gardner or Derek Stingley. They certainly seem to be in an aggressive “win now” mindset, and while it would suck to give up next year’s 1st, corner IS a high value position, and a White/Stingley or White/Gardner pairing could take this defense to the next level.

The presence of close Beane buddy Joe Schoen in the top ten — twice, no less — and wanting to trade down is certainly interesting…

We could possibly get up to 7… framework would be somewhat similar to the Bills/Chiefs trade in 2017.

For reference that was…

2017 1st (27th)

2017 3rd (91st)

2018 1st 

FOR

2017 1st (10th) 

If we did something like…

2022 1st (25th)

2022 3rd (89th)

2023 1st

FOR

2022 1st (7th) 

You get pretty close on the trade chart…

1500 in exchange for 1200… not quite there yet. 

That’s where the veteran comes in… kick in a guy like Moss to make it work? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Kyle Hamilton is the defensive player McDermott has been wanting since he’s arrived in Buffalo.

Is Hamilton really better than Dax Hill, who will probably be available at 25?  Debatable…

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills under Beane have gotten very aggressive with moving up when they see someone they want...multiple moves to get up to 7 to draft Allen, first trading our LT to Cincy and swapping picks to get to 12 and then giving up 2 2nds to move from 12 to 7 with TB.  Also moved up to get Edmunds.  

Great point.

So again the key question is…

Who might Beane be “in love” with?

Gotta be a corner, right? It’s a high value enough position that moving up for an elite one makes sense.

If we’re talking “elite”, Gardner and Stingley seem like the two possibilities. Of those two, I’m not sure which is more of a Beane guy.

11 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

What if the Bills trade edmunds, and pickup Bobby Wagner in free agency who is looking for a 1 year deal? We move up for a top cb and even save 2 mil in cap space. 

yep, if we move up I'm thinking it's for a CB that we are specifically targeting.  Otherwise, I can't see moving for a WR or OL, or anything else.  

I more likely see us moving up in Rd. 2.  Lots of good, day 1 players should be available at 25, and you could get another by moving up in Rd. 2.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.