2022 WR List…who do you like?

Magnum Force

5 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Velus Jones 4.31 6’ 204

I know nothing about this guy but if those are his measurables and speed I think he is worth a flyer. Guy is built solidly and instantly one of the fastest players in the league. But can he play?

I like Velus for his return ability if nothing else. He averaged over 27 yards per KO return this year and over 15 per PR. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

Here’ are 15 Wide Receivers and I tried to put them in general categories.  You can decide how they would fit in to our current lineup.  I just generalized the categories so they aren’t totally accurate.

Average Size, Good Route Runners with good to great speed
Garrett Wilson 4.38 6’ 183
Chris Olave 4.39 6’ 187
Jahan Dotson 4.43 5’11” 178
Jalen Tolbert 4.49 6’1” 194
John Metchie 4.51 6’0” 191
Skyy Moore 4.41 5’10” 196

Bigger, more physical with so so speed
Drake London 4.53 6’4” 219
Traylon Burks 4.55 6’2” 225

Taller, Lankier with good to great speed
Jameson Williams 4.48 6’2” 179
Christian Watson 4.36 6’4” 208
George Pickens 4.47 6’3” 195 
Alex Pierce 4.41 6’3” 211

Great speed
Calvin Austin 4.34 5’7”” 173
Velus Jones 4.31 6’ 204
Danny Gray 4.33 6’ 186

My preferences - 

Chris Olave 4.39 6’ 187

George Pickens 4.47 6’3” 195 - Not sure he's a McBeane kind-of-guy though

Great speed

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

My preferences - 

Chris Olave 4.39 6’ 187

George Pickens 4.47 6’3” 195 - Not sure he's a McBeane kind-of-guy though

Great speed

I think Wilson. Olave and Williams are off the board by pick 25.   Round 2 or 3 might be a better Rd to go WR depending on who is there and how the draft unfolds.  Good draft for WRs regardless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

I think Wilson. Olave and Williams are off the board by pick 25.   Round 2 or 3 might be a better Rd to go WR depending on who is there and how the draft unfolds.  Good draft for WRs regardless. 

It is for sure...I'm a REAL big Pickens fan...He's a big time upside guy IMHO...He could also develop into a very good blocking WR to boot...I think if he goes out of the 1st he's a bargain...B-)

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, NewEra said:

Dodson really does make a lot of sense if we can sign a vet corner. Speed with tremendous hands.  Josh’s passes aren’t like the others. Gotta have guys with glue for mitts 

Super understated point, Josh throws some serious heat and nothing at all wrong with having oversized mitts to reel them lasers in.  In watching Watsons tape I also noted how naturally catches the majority of passes with his hands, love how he brings the ball in.  In all honesty I would be thrilled if we took him at 25 and don't think it'd be a reach at all.   I literally salivated watching his YouTube video.  IMO he'd look damn good in a Bills uni...

• Like (+1) 1

Garrett Wilson, Jameson Williams, Chris Olave, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Alec Pierce, Velus Jones, and Tyquan Thornton.

4.41 is my cut off as both Beane and McDermott has been preaching needing speed. One of those guys needs to be a Buffalo Bill, even if it's just Jones or Thornton late.

Idk enough about Danny Gray to add him to the list. I'd make an exception for Jameson Williams though bc I think he's a next level WR.

On 3/31/2022 at 10:20 AM, RunJoshRun said:

The BOARD MODERATORS HAVE TOLD MANY POSTERS OVER AND OVER AGAIN that this is "worn out thread".  They've deleted them all.  Why not this one???  The draft is just too far away and who knows what free agency may bring???  Stick to the process mods!

This had thought behind it. The ones that were shut down were mostly someone having a vagrant thought shoot through his mind and expressing it, generally a thought that had been expressed before many times, often nothing more than one or two sentences along the lines of "I like this" or "we should do that."

This thread is a ton more thoughtful and has, as Hap has said several times, more substrate for discussion, than many of those other, far poorer threads.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 3/30/2022 at 9:22 PM, whorlnut said:

I really want Dotson. His hands are unbelievable. Runs good routes. Has good speed. He honestly reminds me of Diggs.

Big PSU fan so of course I’m biased 

the thing that sets Dotson apart from all the guys is his truly exceptional ball skills. The guy never drops a ball, and makes unbelievable catches.  OBJ like one handers for TD. Plus he runs precision routes, exceptionally smooth. Hope Bills take him if he’s there at 25. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Big PSU fan so of course I’m biased 

the thing that sets Dotson apart from all the guys is his truly exceptional ball skills. The guy never drops a ball, and makes unbelievable catches.  OBJ like one handers for TD. Plus he runs precision routes, exceptionally smooth. Hope Bills take him if he’s there at 25. 

I've been researching and am really warming up to Christian Watson AND at 25!!  6'3" 208 with 4.36 speed.  He doesn't have the stats in college, but ND St was a running team.  He has the 2nd best athletic score of any WR since 1987 and can't teach that.  Sounds a lot like a certain QB that we drafted 4 years ago.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I've been researching and am really warming up to Christian Watson AND at 25!!  6'3" 208 with 4.36 speed.  He doesn't have the stats in college, but ND St was a running team.  He has the 2nd best athletic score of any WR since 1987 and can't teach that.  Sounds a lot like a certain QB that we drafted 4 years ago.  

Same here… good 1st round pick…Great 2nd round pick.  Same with Tariq Woolen at CB …he is raw but 6’4” 205 4.26 speed with 42” vertical jump.  

2 hours ago, Magnum Force said:

I just wonder how drafting a 1st Round WR would effect Stefon Diggs with the current state of affairs.  

Helps him get more open. Means we can pay him without having to pay free agents.  But we need to nail a couple other starters at other positions like db and o line so we can keep from paying huge salaries. 

Edited by aristocrat
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

Same here… good 1st round pick…Great 2nd round pick.  Same with Tariq Woolen at CB …he is raw but 6’4” 205 4.26 speed with 42” vertical jump.  

we think alike - Maybe we trade out of the 1st (and grab an early 3rd) to a qb needy team and draft watson in the early 2nd.  Like Woolen too, raw but ridiculous athleticism.  Maybe we sign a veteran CB and draft Woolen with the acquired early 3rd.  With the 2nd rounder, take the best guy on your board (RB if Hall or the kid from Mich St drop).

• Like (+1) 1

After spending the last few days evaluating the WR class I'm less excited about Chris Olave than most people. His ceiling projection is Stefon Diggs 2.0... That's great but we already have Stefon Diggs 1.0. If we're adding a WR in the 1st or 2nd I would want it to be a different skill set than what we already have. The WRs I see as 1st round talents that would add something new are Williams, Watson, Pierce, and Dotson. I would be happy with one of those WRs in the 1st round.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

After spending the last few days evaluating the WR class I'm less excited about Chris Olave than most people. His ceiling projection is Stefon Diggs 2.0... That's great but we already have Stefon Diggs 1.0. If we're adding a WR in the 1st or 2nd I would want it to be a different skill set than what we already have. The WRs I see as 1st round talents that would add something new are Williams, Watson, Pierce, and Dotson. I would be happy with one of those WRs in the 1st round.

Man we have very different tastes in wide receivers. 

14 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Super understated point, Josh throws some serious heat and nothing at all wrong with having oversized mitts to reel them lasers in.  In watching Watsons tape I also noted how naturally catches the majority of passes with his hands, love how he brings the ball in.  In all honesty I would be thrilled if we took him at 25 and don't think it'd be a reach at all.   I literally salivated watching his YouTube video.  IMO he'd look damn good in a Bills uni...

I think it would be a reach. But it is a reach we should absolutely be willing to gamble on. 

• Agree 1

John Metchie has not worked out this spring, having been injured (ACL) in the SEC championship, but NFL Draft Buzz estimates him as running a 4.36.  They aslo think Jameson Williams is much faster - in the sub 4.3 range.  Jameson has run a 4.39 at Alabama.

Personally, I'm looking at 6' as the floor size wise.  I'd rather have 6'2."  Tyquan Thornton is certainly intriguing, but there is a reason he' likely to fall into day 3 of the draft.  If Buffalo does their due diligence and thinks the weaknesses in his game can be coached up, I'd be OK with drafting him in round 4 or 5, but don't expect him to be real productive as a rookie.

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Man we have very different tastes in wide receivers. 

I think it would be a reach. But it is a reach we should absolutely be willing to gamble on. 

Posted this in the Mock Drafts thread but haven't received any responses. May be better to post in a thread more people are interested in.

There is a lot of discussions regarding reaching, value and 5th year options. So my question is, At what point is considered a reach? Poor Value? Versus having the 5th year option?

For instance (just using a player, not saying right or wrong). You can use any top 5-10 pick of the 2nd round you like.

Kyler Gordon. Most project as a top of the 2nd rnd pick. Would it really be a bad choice/reach to take him at 25 and get the 5th year option if you are unable to find a trade back partner?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.