Off Topic guess Lamar’s new contract

78thealltimegreat

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Dont know, you look it up but what I do know is the current rate of QB inflation is unsustainable, at this rate in a few year franchise QBs will be getting what, half of the total salary cap.  This qb infation like ANY investment/craze will hit a peak, they always pop  since the great tulip Craze in the 1600s, be it the nifty fifty,  dot.coms, oil and gas, bitcoins, etc etc etc.  Simple human nature.

The cap will continue going up. And when the new deals are factored in, should go up substantially.

And I dont have to look it up to tell you what we both know. It's never happened.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

This is one QB you don’t blowout your budget on unless he has another monster year—-or at least can get to 3500-4000 passing.  They won’t pay him going coward to rush for 1000 a year.  

Well, going coward or not ;) 

you do pay him to rush for 1000 IF he passes for well over 4000 yards per season 

Lamar might be the smartest of them all-let the other QBs hire agents who gets a % of their contract, have them set the market & then go in asking for his market value.  The lawyer will go over the contract at a fraction of the cost.

He could even give the Ravens a 5% discount & still pocket more money than the guys with agents.  

6 hours ago, nucci said:

Franchise tag next year....whatever that number is

He's played in 4 playoff games. He's 1-3 with a 68 qb rating. You know the Ravens are factoring this in. He'll make his $23M this year and likely get tagged 2 straight years. So that will buy Baltimore some time to definitively decide if he's long term worthy.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's played in 4 playoff games. He's 1-3 with a 68 qb rating. You know the Ravens are factoring this in. He'll make his $23M this year and likely get tagged 2 straight years. So that will buy Baltimore some time to definitively decide if he's long term worthy.

The problem is Lamar's skill set is hard to replicate or have anyone excel at it. As we saw with Tyrod and Kaepernick Roman's offense slowly eventually shows too limited in the passing game. So if the Ravens are looking at other QBs they'd also look at different OCs too. 

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Lamar might be the smartest of them all-let the other QBs hire agents who gets a % of their contract, have them set the market & then go in asking for his market value.  The lawyer will go over the contract at a fraction of the cost.

He could even give the Ravens a 5% discount & still pocket more money than the guys with agents.  

How would that work - Agents are capped at significantly less than 5% based on NFL/NFLPA rules.

He might save 1% maybe doing this - which is potentially 2 million dollars on a 200 million dollar deal.

He risks losing more by having a small loophole with a lawyer that missed something because he does not deal with the Salary Cap and NFL lawyers.

I have no issue with him doing it, but the reality is the Agents make a lot, but if you are a top end talent - they also spend a lot of time massaging the deal to benefit you as a player because that benefits them as an agent.

3 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Dont know, you look it up but what I do know is the current rate of QB inflation is unsustainable, at this rate in a few year franchise QBs will be getting what, half of the total salary cap.  This qb infation like ANY investment/craze will hit a peak, they always pop  since the great tulip Craze in the 1600s, be it the nifty fifty,  dot.coms, oil and gas, bitcoins, etc etc etc.  Simple human nature.

and yet, as a percentage of the cap, these contracts are pretty darn close to what they were 20 years ago. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The problem is Lamar's skill set is hard to replicate or have anyone excel at it. As we saw with Tyrod and Kaepernick Roman's offense slowly eventually shows too limited in the passing game. So if the Ravens are looking at other QBs they'd also look at different OCs too. 

Yea but his skillset is still one dimensional. That's why I think they wait this out before making a huge investment. He'll still probably make 95+ million over the next 3 years. Then he can go the Cousins route. 

15 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It’s obvious he’s the next in line for a big payday as I think it would be very difficult to trade the best player the franchise has had since Ray Lewis.

So if Watson got 230 million guaranteed you have to think Lamar is using that as a starting point. 

Whatever it is he doesn't deserve it, just not a good QB

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

"No" - Ravens

Now what?

It definitely isnt the easiest deal to do seeing as how he isnt a typical QB, puts his body at more risk with his running, and missed time due to multiple COVID infections while refusing to be vaccinated (I get all the COVID stuff is over, but who knows what comes up next that he wont play along with and cost himself time). Plus, that MVP award he won is looking more and more like a joke considering he's never made it past the Divisional round while being on a well-built, well-managed, well-coached team.

So nah, I offer him Dak money at best. See how he negotiates with that.

Considering that Dak is noticeably over paid, and noticeably under performs, yet is a better QB,   that would be a generous offer for a QB of Lamar Jackson overall skill set and potential, of course he will say he is being disrespected by being offered such a pittance…, will be fun to watch it play out, 😁👍

Edited by Don Otreply

Have to think Lamar’s negotiations begin at the Watson deal.  

He’ll point to his MVP and no off-the-field issues.  

We can point out his post-season struggles, but it’s not like Watson has been much better.  

How many times are they gonna pay these guys and watch them fail to be any better than they have been in the past, getting to the playoffs a couple of times doesn’t rate a kings ransom, being slightly above average rates a pay check for being slightly above average, how hard is it for a GM to say this to a player?  QBs like Cousins are a prime example of grossly over paying for a bit above average performance, the Watson deal is ludicrous, it in effect nullifies the overall benefit of the cap dollars going up, it remains just as hard to build a team if the percentages of cap use stays the same…,  

13 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

How would that work - Agents are capped at significantly less than 5% based on NFL/NFLPA rules.

He might save 1% maybe doing this - which is potentially 2 million dollars on a 200 million dollar deal.

He risks losing more by having a small loophole with a lawyer that missed something because he does not deal with the Salary Cap and NFL lawyers.

I have no issue with him doing it, but the reality is the Agents make a lot, but if you are a top end talent - they also spend a lot of time massaging the deal to benefit you as a player because that benefits them as an agent.

Thanks for the info, I thought agents got 10%. For 3% or less, he's foolish to be negotiating his own contract.  I once heard an opinion that criticized Lamar in 2018 saying that an agent would have prepared him better in marketing himself for a higher draft spot.  If that is true, he's been costing himself $ for over 4 years already.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, aristocrat said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/steve-bisciotti-lamar-jackson-approach-to-contract-unique-as-hell/

Apparently Lamar doesn't want an extension right now? 

The kid is so obsessed with winning a Super Bowl, that I think deep down, he doesn’t think he’s worthy. I think he wants that to say, ‘Now, I deserve to be on top,'” Bisciotti said.

That's nuts if true.

He should be trying to take advantage of his status as most overrated QB in the history of the game, and get paid now before the gig is up.

Crazy how the former MVP is the 4th best QB in that division right now... Ok maybe 3rd, maybe.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.