Off Topic guess Lamar’s new contract

78thealltimegreat

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

It’s obvious he’s the next in line for a big payday as I think it would be very difficult to trade the best player the franchise has had since Ray Lewis.

So if Watson got 230 million guaranteed you have to think Lamar is using that as a starting point. 

The browns gave watson a desperation contract and everyone knows that.  Lamar will surely ask for that deal but Ravens will give him a bit more than the Allen deal imo. 

It was interesting as I listened to guys from the Owners meeting talking about QB contracts and LJ.  Basically - the premise is that according to the CBA any guaranteed money in the contract has to be placed immediately in an escrow account and is not available to the owner after that point.  It prevents an owner from going bankrupt and the NFL being on the hook for the money.

In talking with Baltimore owners and front office - the reporter basically came out and said they did not want to tie that much money into an escrow account to have the huge guaranteed money like Watson.  He is fine doing a big contract, but wants only a fraction 25% or less guaranteed.

The reporters were saying they expect this to be a Kirk Cousins style showdown where they franchise tag him at least twice and then look to trade him rather than tie upwards of 230 million into an escrow.  

It bears watching because they said they got similar vibes from Arizona and Cincinnati ownership with the guaranteed money.  They expect at least 2 of these 3 franchises will end up franchising and trading their QB to avoid the 100% guaranteed contract.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If I'm Lamar, I'm pushing for maximum guaranteed dollars over total money. So much of his value as a QB is tied to his legs, and not only is that the first thing to diminish, but one bad hit or juke and it could be over in an instant. Of course the Ravens know this, but unless they plan on drafting a replacement over the next year or two, what are they gonna do?

• Like (+1) 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/steve-bisciotti-lamar-jackson-approach-to-contract-unique-as-hell/

Apparently Lamar doesn't want an extension right now? 

The kid is so obsessed with winning a Super Bowl, that I think deep down, he doesn’t think he’s worthy. I think he wants that to say, ‘Now, I deserve to be on top,'” Bisciotti said.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It was interesting as I listened to guys from the Owners meeting talking about QB contracts and LJ.  Basically - the premise is that according to the CBA any guaranteed money in the contract has to be placed immediately in an escrow account and is not available to the owner after that point.  It prevents an owner from going bankrupt and the NFL being on the hook for the money.

In talking with Baltimore owners and front office - the reporter basically came out and said they did not want to tie that much money into an escrow account to have the huge guaranteed money like Watson.  He is fine doing a big contract, but wants only a fraction 25% or less guaranteed.

The reporters were saying they expect this to be a Kirk Cousins style showdown where they franchise tag him at least twice and then look to trade him rather than tie upwards of 230 million into an escrow.  

It bears watching because they said they got similar vibes from Arizona and Cincinnati ownership with the guaranteed money.  They expect at least 2 of these 3 franchises will end up franchising and trading their QB to avoid the 100% guaranteed contract.

I didn't know that rule. It's interesting because there is no way that Mike Brown is putting $200 million in an escrow account because he doesn't have it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/29/steve-bisciotti-lamar-jackson-approach-to-contract-unique-as-hell/

The kid is so obsessed with winning a Super Bowl, that I think deep down, he doesn’t think he’s worthy. I think he wants that to say, ‘Now, I deserve to be on top,'” Bisciotti said.

I think that the same could be said about a lot of players, but that's why you hire an agent.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't pay him.....he's one knee injury away from having to be a pass first QB, which he will never be.

I'm glad its Baltimore who will be saddled with a ridiculous contract for a QB who is  average at best in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

That's either really dumb, or complete BS.

I worry Lamar might end up getting screwed like Gordie Howe, making a fraction of what he should have, because he doesn't have anyone who understands the money game looking out for him.

He needs to get a real agent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.