Did the Bills Super Bowl run in the 1990's really influence your love of the Bills?

I think this question is probably best suited for the those in the mid 30's to late 40's age group but certainly anyone can answer.

I grew up in the 80's and started really understanding and loving football right as the Bills started their Super Bowl run.  First memories of watching the Bills was Harmon's drop and then Kelly's pick to Clay Matthews.  My friend tells me if the Bills weren't that good, I probably would have followed another team.  Them being so good attached me to them because kids like to cheer for good teams.  

I disagreed.  My whole family is from Buffalo and football was just our household.  I'm positive that I would have been just as diehard if they were bad....like if my childhood was the Mularkey/Williams/Jauron years instead of Levy. 

If the Bills had nothing in their history like the Browns and Lions....would your fandom be as strong?  Without those great 90's teams...would your interest be less today?

What was your interest level during the drought?

• Like (+1) 3

I became a fan in the 70's when I was a kid. OJ was my favorite player which is how I became a Bills fan. The 90's were certainly the best times because of the runs to the Super Bowl but my first great memories were 80 and 81. The Bills had some good teams with Knox. It was tough and frustrating during the drought but my fandom never declined. Hard core Bills fan till the day I die. I also plan on going to as many home games as I can at Rich Stadium/The Ralph ( I live in NJ) since we are entering the last 4 seasons at the current stadium before its demolished.

• Like (+1) 9

I'm in my 30's, but don't truly remember those Super Bowl games too much.  

My entire fandom has basically been through the drought.  I'd follow FA and the Draft.  Start every year excited, and then typically lose interest towards the end of the year once we were eliminated from the playoff race.  

I do think our fanbase may be stronger due to having had this success, and then losing it, as opposed to just wandering in the NFL wilderness for our entire lives.  You hear a lot of people reflect on what it was like, similar to muscle memory, now that we have a contender again. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

No. I was born a fan. It was embedded into my blood. Before I even realized who I was, I was in my cradle wearing Bills outfits. When I was old enough to get carted to games, I sat on a beer cooler in the Rockpile  handing out beers and sandwiches to my dad, grandpa and uncles.

I went to the first game at Rich Stadium, I saw OJ running from defenders, not the law. I saw the best and worst of Bills football for 50+ years. And I'll never change my allegiance. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I grew up in Alaska, and because the 90’s Bills were so good, there gear was sold in the stores. I picked a Bills backpack going into kindergarten thinking it was a moose, only for my mom to tell me it was a Buffalo. When I got home, my dad explained that it was a football team. After that, I started watching football with my dad on Sundays, but I was most interested in seeing Bills games and they were on often enough. 

After getting the backpack, it didn’t matter how good the team was, I was hooked. I became an obsessed football fan from a very young age. 

As an example of how Bills crazy I was. When they weren’t good anymore, they were not on the tv anymore (rarely). So I was on NFL.com every weekend watching the play by play on the old school game cast. Internet was so bad, I had to constantly refresh the page to see what was happening. That’s how I watched the majority of my Bills games in my youth. Then sport center for the highlights on Monday morning. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

I'm 42 and the teams of that era are the reason I'm a Bills fan. 

I must admit, it was a hard slog during the drought and it coincided with me having other distractions and the most disposable income I ever had so my interest waned but I never considered taking another team. I'd made my bed.

• Like (+1) 3

My first memories are with Joe Ferguson, Joe Cribbs and Jerry Butler.  The 1980 team that lost to the chargers in the playoffs.  Cribbs was my favorite player and when he went to the usfl and the Bills were then terrible I started rooting for Montana, Wendell Tyler/craig and Freddie solomon. The bills were still my favorite team, but I guess I had to have something fun to root for too.  

86 was the turning point for me.  JK was our QB and Joe Cribbs joined the 49ers.  I thought I’d be a fan of both team, but I had lost all of my love for Cribbs when i saw him in a different NFL uniform. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

I was in 6th through 9th grade for the SB runs.  That era ABSOLUTELY weighed into me sticking with them all these years.  For me it was my childhood team and even though there was so much pain in those SB losses that era hooked me for life.

Exactly the same for me. I was actually a Broncos fan for a couple minutes some time before I latched onto the Bills at age 9 or so. The Bills were great and I admired that greatness. Then they quickly proceeded to break my heart over and over again but by that point I was not letting go no matter what

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

No. I was born a fan. It was embedded into my blood. Before I even realized who I was, I was in my cradle wearing Bills outfits. When I was old enough to get carted to games, I sat on a beer cooler in the Rockpile  handing out beers and sandwiches to my dad, grandpa and uncles.

I went to the first game at Rich Stadium, I saw OJ running from defenders, not the law. I saw the best and worst of Bills football for 50+ years. And I'll never change my allegiance. 

This is how my daughter is. She was brought home from the hospital in a Bills outfit. She was born late August and she was in my arms watching Josh Allens first pro game. My daughter is not only a Bills fan, but a HUGE Josh Allen fan. Her and I watch every Bills game together, and we celebrate like crazy when good things happen, but especially good Josh Allen plays. She always wants him to get td’s 🤣

How lucky is she to grow up in the Josh Allen era?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was originally a huge Packer fan, with Bart Starr at QB.  Loved their colors and helmet logo. 

When they drafted OJ, it peaked my interest and I would catch games on the radio (thank you Van.)  I started really liking the Bills in 1980 with Fergy, Cribbs, Butler, Smerlas, and Knox.  It was really painful to watch them after Knox left (however they had some really good drafts during those few years, (Bruce, Talley, Reed) but once Marv took over, they signed Kelly (really wanted them to draft Marino) and they started their march towards greatness, I really got excited.  For me, the 1988 season was the second best/most enjoyable to watch.  Only the 2020 season was better.

The Kelly years were a roller coaster of emotions and look forward to many years to come.  

• Like (+1) 2

I actually disliked the Super Bowl Bills teams. I wasn’t a Kelly or Reed fan. I liked the defense but I wasn’t really a bills fan. I cheered for Atlanta back then as a kid. Loved Andre Rison and Jamal Anderson with the dirty bird. I joined the buffalo fan base after. Lol I’m dumb enough to become a fan after everyone jumped off the bandwagon. So this is all really new for me as a fan actually winning divisions and being a favorite. 

• Like (+1) 2

I became a Bills fan when I was 10 and the Bills drafted OJ.  Weirdly, despite growing up in the Buffalo burbs, I was as much a Browns fan as a Bills fan back then.  Maybe even more a Browns fan.

But when I left home for college in the late 70s, being a Bills fan was a way of connecting with home.  My love for the Bills began surpassing my love for the Brownies.   And when the Browns moved to Baltimore in 1996, I became entirely Bills- monogamous.  

While the 90s teams were fun - and I certainly appreciated them - their glory really didn't impact my fandom much.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm 52 so was in my late teens early 20's when those 90s teams got going.  Those teams were breath-taking in their talent and ability to score.

At the end of the run it changed my love because I lost the inferiority complex that so many fans have.  It made me appreciate the amazing time it was to witness Bills football in those moments despite the superbowl failures.  It was so much fun to watch and the failures actually helped me define how much of a fan I was, and screw the detractors. 

• Like (+1) 2

I grew up in the drought years and that's basically what I knew. But I was still influenced by the 90's teams. They were legends for me. Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas, etc. I'd go back and watch highlights and look at stats. I couldn't wait for the team to get good again and have another run like that.

So, even though I was too young to appreciate the 90's team when that was happening (I was born in 1989), I sure gained that appreciation later.

That being said, I am a fan because of my dad. He grew up in the Buffalo area and passed that fandom on to me. That's how it works for 99% of Bills fans.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I started being a fan in 1963, my father had season tickets, probably went to my first game in 1964. One of my brother’s friends at St Joe’s was Pat McGroder III. Pat McGroder Jr. was instrumental in bringing Bills to Buffalo, (Wilson’s franchise was supposed to be in Miami). It was the championship team of mid-sixties that hooked me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think this question is probably best suited for the those in the mid 30's to late 40's age group but certainly anyone can answer.

I grew up in the 80's and started really understanding and loving football right as the Bills started their Super Bowl run.  First memories of watching the Bills was Harmon's drop and then Kelly's pick to Clay Matthews.  My friend tells me if the Bills weren't that good, I probably would have followed another team.  Them being so good attached me to them because kids like to cheer for good teams.  

I disagreed.  My whole family is from Buffalo and football was just our household.  I'm positive that I would have been just as diehard if they were bad....like if my childhood was the Mularkey/Williams/Jauron years instead of Levy. 

If the Bills had nothing in their history like the Browns and Lions....would your fandom be as strong?  Without those great 90's teams...would your interest be less today?

What was your interest level during the drought?

I'm 51.  I became a Bills fan on the day of their Super Bowl vs. NYG.  My interest in the team has never waned.  The only time it came close was during the TuhROD Taylor era.  That was the absolute worst for me, but I never stopped watching/rooting/going to games.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

I'm 52 so was in my late teens early 20's when those 90s teams got going.  Those teams were breath-taking in their talent and ability to score.

At the end of the run it changed my love because I lost the inferiority complex that so many fans have.  It made me appreciate the amazing time it was to witness Bills football in those moments despite the superbowl failures.  It was so much fun to watch and the failures actually helped me define how much of a fan I was, and screw the detractors. 

You're my brother from a different mother...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.