The world we live in

cv05

I didn't hear NYC crying when the new Yankee Stadium was built or Citi Field, Barclay Center, UBS Arena. If we count NJ you can add MetLife and the Prudential Center as relatively new stadium/arena's.

Edited by Greg S
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Fascinating that this post comes from a guy in Seattle. 

Yes, and he also overlooks the number of jobs and boom to the local economy that will be created by the building of the new stadium. So the tax payer funds can rightfully be viewed as a genuine investment.

Edited by 2003Contenders
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Yea I agree with him that it is sickening that taxpayer money is going to this, but it is the cost of doing business. If the Bills were to leave due to a lack of stadium, we would never get them back (or if we did it would cost more money to relocate them back) and the deal seems to repay itself over time better than I was expecting (based on the info the study info that was in the Bnews article if I interpreted it right).

Overall, I wish the $800 million could have been allocated to other things and Kim and Terry pay their own way. But, I am glad that the taxes are at least going towards something all of Buffalo can enjoy for the next 30 years.

• Like (+1) 1

I posted about this in the stadium thread just last night and it is a false and misleading argument. 

Hochul's proposed NYS budget cuts Children and Family Services funding by $800M (msn.com)

"CNY Central has reached out directly to Governor Hochul's office for more context and perspective, as well as the Office of Children and Family Services. A spokesperson for OCFS tells CNY Central the proposed budget does not show a reduction in funding to local child protective services programs. Although the number may seem shocking, state leaders from the Governor's office and the Office of Children and Family Services tell CNY Central the absence of one-time pandemic relief money that was there before is the reason behind it."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hochuls-proposed-nys-budget-cuts-children-and-family-services-funding-by-800m/ar-AAVuWtR

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I didn't hear NYC crying when the new Yankee Stadium was built or Citi Field, Barclay Center, UBS Arena. If we count NJ you can add MetLife and the Prudential Center as relatively new stadium/arena's.

Well that's different.

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, cv05 said:

Yet American citizens will re-elect the very same shysters from both parties over and over and over…, humans are not very smart, the cool thing for the parties is that they have successfully divided and conquered the nation, just look around, we have all been duped with this red state blue state crap, both parties are to blame, and we fall for it every election. 

There are alternatives, we could elect smart honest people who have the citizens best interests as their  priority. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can't please everybody...especially those in Seattle.

Bills stadium is infrastructure...which is something both political parties generally agree on spending money on.   Infrastructure = jobs and revenue for surrounding areas.  Nobody would bat an eye if NY state quietly spent 800 million to build a new state of the art library or bus terminal.   

I'm typically and advocate for lower taxes because I really don't trust the government to spend my money in an efficient manner but as long as it's being spent, I'd rather it be used for something tangible, that has lasting returns.  

Edited by Lost
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Keeping the Bills in Buffalo had to be a huge priority for the state.  I don’t think some people realize that when there’s a game played here both teams are paying state income taxes for that game check.  That’s a ton of money yearly for the state.  Without the Bills they’d have to cut back even more.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This should really be in PPP.

That said, Dan Price usually makes some good points, and I see why outsiders are upset about the deal, but both decisions mentioned in that tweet deserve additional context. I believe the $800M cut from Family Services was the additional money that was added to their budget in 2020 in the COVID emergency.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Yes let's completely overlook the 10,000 jobs created, millions in taxable income for the state, increased entertainment options and quality of life for the region, opportunities for more business and sponsorship, national media coverage, and guaranteed 30 years of keeping our favorite team. Anyone who agrees with this nonsense doesn't understand how businesses work. You don't think an $850 million investment into the region will result in way more money coming back in? How much money does child services make for the state? Oh nothing? Hmm tough choice. Also I highly doubt it was an either or as they are proclaiming it to be, they are completely unrelated. Virtue signaling at it's finest.

As I posted in a thread yesterday, the Pegula's are billionaires meaning they don't have to work a day in their life. They can float around on their yacht and live the good life and live off their investments. The fact that they choose to work so hard for our community and have created thousands of jobs between all of their companies in the process is so admirable it's almost unfathomable. Nobody should ever talk poorly about the Pegula's for all they have done for Buffalo. If they weren't making money on the Bills they would probably be making much more with less work elsewhere and then we wouldn't have a team. Because of them we will never have to worry about that again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

This is the guy that tries to be hero taking a $75k salary as a CEO, but then gets sued by all of his business partners for taking too much stock

He also has set a $75k Minimum Wage for his company which has been wildly successful and popular.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1