Anyone have Spectrum streaming TV or Spectrum wireless?

davefan66

Anyone have spectrum streaming TV or their wireless phones and can offer any insight and reviews?

Directv bill out of hand and looking into streaming services.  Directv bill around $190 without my $50/month discount.  Spectrum streaming TV around $80 for the same channels.  Only reason I keep Directv is for Sunday ticket, specifically Redzone.  Spectrum has Redzone but with Scott Hansen.  As much as I love Andrew Siciliano, I can’t justify paying the monthly bill anymore.  I have received the ticket for free many times, and as paid as little as a $100 but am tired of the dance every year trying to get it for free.

The TV service I can trial and see if I like.  Will be doing so along with Sling, YouTube TV and Fubo.  Had Sling for a few months when I was having trouble with streaming Directv to my phone and didn’t hate it.  All seem to be around the same,PPE price with varying DVR storage and base/ala cart channels.  Sling seems to have the least number of channels at that price.

My main concern is the wireless service.  They use the Verizon network with the cost being $30/per line (including fees) for unlimited talk, text and data which is throttled at 20 GB.  Cost is $40/per line throttled at 30 GB.  Will be checking with ATT to see what our usage has been.  I hate Spectrum customer service and am concerned they are too new to cell service to offer proper tech support.

Edit:  Thinking about it, part of the cost of ATT is upgrading phones.  Can be 20 to 50 bucks depending on phone and trade in value of old phone.  Have phone cost that needs to be figured into the Spectrum rates.  Doesn’t seem it as cost effective as I thought.  

Overall I’m paying $190 ($140 with discount) for Directv and $230 for 4 lines at ATT for a total cost of $420/month before the discount. I could drop it all to around $200 bucks for TV and phones through Spectrum.

Appreciate anyone who has these or knows anyone to give me some insight.  Thanks.

Edited by davefan66

Is that $80 only for the first year? I’m guessing so. I know that’s how it works with their normal cable packages. 

For ex, the their base cable + internet package (with a cable box, not streaming) starts at $120/month but that’s only the price for the first year. Then it goes up to $200+ a month.

If you’re getting a permanent $50/month discount I’d call spectrum and make sure that $80 is the long term price, not the new customer price for the 1st year.

As far as the spectrum streaming app, it’s not bad. I use it on a couple of my TVs that don’t have cable boxes. As long as you have good internet speeds you shouldn’t have an issue streaming it. 

The app isn’t really available on many platforms though. Only Roku, Apple TV and Xbox afaik. Like I can’t download it on my fire stick or android (Sony) smart TV. 

definitely check how much data you use though. I don’t know how much data streaming uses. I don’t have a data cap. 

edit - I’ve also been a Verizon cell phone customer for decades and like their cell service.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

Is that $80 only for the first year? I’m guessing so. I know that’s how it works with their normal cable packages. 

For ex, the their base cable + internet package (with a cable box, not streaming) starts at $120/month but that’s only the price for the first year. Then it goes up to $200+ a month.

If you’re getting a permanent $50/month discount I’d call spectrum and make sure that $80 is the long term price, not the new customer price for the 1st year.

As far as the spectrum streaming app, it’s not bad. I use it on a couple of my TVs that don’t have cable boxes. As long as you have good internet speeds you shouldn’t have an issue streaming it. 

The app isn’t really available on many platforms though. Only Roku, Apple TV and Xbox afaik. Like I can’t download it on my fire stick or android (Sony) smart TV. 

definitely check how much data you use though. I don’t know how much data streaming uses. I don’t have a data cap. 

edit - I’ve also been a Verizon cell phone customer for decades and like their cell service.

It works on Samsung, which I have.  Limited for sure on streaming devices.

The $50 is for 12 months.  That’s all they do, at least for me.  Hate begging every year for that discount and Sunday Ticket, worth getting the discounts hate the rigmarole.  That’s one of the reasons I’m checking alternatives.

Spectrum TV is bundled with my internet and phone and comes to $65 the first year and $80 thereafter.

Liked Verizon coverage better than ATT for sure.  Not sure the coverage for Spectrum cellular is great using the Verizon towers though.  Seems as if people have trouble with  5G and strength.  Probably not switching phones, doesn’t seem to make much sense.

• Like (+1) 1

I migrated from DirectTV/ATT to Spectrum cable/internet and Spectrum mobile several years ago because of cost.  

I stream through ROKU to three TVs (one time cost of about $90 for 3 boxes) and have a cable box on the fourth.  I have the Spectrum cable silver option which includes HBO and SHOWTIME along with "Spectrum On Demand" shows and movies (steaming) plus all the standard cable channels.  Streaming via Spectrum, Amazon, and PBS is fine.  During the football season, I subscribe to Red Zone for $5 a month -- about $25 for the season.  It takes a phone call to turn it on and turn it off. 

I pay about $200/month for cable and internet.  I have Spectrum mobile for my phone, one line for $45 with unlimited talk, text, data.  I will probably need a new phone soon, which will add between $25-50 to my bill depending upon the phone.   Total for TV, internet and phone is < $250 a month, including Red Zone when I want it.

Lots of people who aren't current Spectrum customers complain about Spectrum customer service but I have not had any issues.  There have only been a few outages of cable/internet or mobile.   I'm quite satisfied, including the fact that I don't lose my TV signal during heavy rain and that I don't have to try to clean off the satellite dish from heavy snow.   If you call customer service with a problem, you get directed to an appropriate slot, which may include a general message when there's an area outage.   When the call volume is high, you can choose to have a rep call you back when your slot comes up.  I've found the techs to be very pleasant and knowledgeable, even a couple of times when I've called with really stupid problems caused I messed up my preference settings with my ten unruly digits on the remote.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.