League admits mistake on late TyreekTD vs Bills

Simon

2 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

thing about that "peace" sign was,  it wasnt really about peace,  it was throwing 2 fingers in the Bills' faces,  as in,  we just beat u twice in the playoffs.   thats a douche move by Hill.    should it have been called?  by the letter of the law,  yes.

2 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

thing about that "peace" sign was,  it wasnt really about peace,  it was throwing 2 fingers in the Bills' faces,  as in,  we just beat u twice in the playoffs.   thats a douche move by Hill.    should it have been called?  by the letter of the law,  yes.

When we play Miami next season, Hill will get 2 heaping servings of humble pie!!!

13 hours ago, Simon said:

Just a taunting they didn't call.

It certainly looked like a penalty at the time but I'm glad they didn't call it.

If they called it we loose the game in regulation. His TD was what allowed us to go down the field and leave only 13 seconds on the clock. 

Obviously if it were not for the biggest coaching choke in franchise history we would all still be hung over from the SB party but I digress 

3 hours ago, bigduke6 said:

The NFL has no letter of the law. They can create rules and use them or not at their discretion. It always takes 2 weeks or 2 months after the fact for the NFL to admit they can't get it right in the first place. And it's always at our expense. 

It helped the Bills that they didn't call it. Gave them enough time to score. 

The Bills D was 100% not stopping the Chiefs from scoring. 100%. If the Chiefs were facing 4th and 59, I'd have put money on the Chiefs converting the first. Frazier would play the safeties and linebackers 80 yards off to be safe. 

14 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah, it wouldn't have changed the TD. Just been enforced on the Kickoff. 

A lot of us were confusing the Matt Ryan taunting penalty that resulting in a 3rd and long when he seemed to have scored a rushing TD... He was ruled short of the goal bc he gave himself up...

Is that accurate?  I thought all penalties during a play were enforced on said play.  If the taunting occurs after the whistle is when it would have been enforced on the kickoff.

I don't know if taunting is different with how it is enforced so I could be wrong.  

Just now, The Wiz said:

Is that accurate?  I thought all penalties during a play were enforced on said play.  If the taunting occurs after the whistle is when it would have been enforced on the kickoff.

I don't know if taunting is different with how it is enforced so I could be wrong.  

I was thinking the same thing.  A quick google scan didn't yield much, either.

20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Yup, that surprised me too. Last season, a taunting penalty was always considered a dead ball foul.

ARTICLE 1. TYPES OF FOULS

(b) A Dead Ball Foul is a foul that occurs in the continuing action after a down ends, or a taunting foul that occurs at any time...

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/2021-nfl-rulebook/#preface

Edited by Motorin'

15 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

I'm torn on this taunting thing. I hate most of the penalties after a big play and showing emotion and celebrating. But flashing a peace sign in a defenders face while the play is still going on should be called. Thats not showing emotion, that's being a duechebag. Literally the definition of taunting. Probably inconsequential, but should be called.

That's rewarded with $50 million a year in GB.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

I believe that if it were called the Bills could have either the XP or the kickoff backed up.   The TD would have counted, it wouldn’t have affected the clock at all.

Exactly, taunting was enforced as a dead ball foul. The result of the play would have been a TD. The Bills would have the choice to enforce on the XP or Kickoff. 

No time would have been lost for the next drive. 

Disliking the rule and enforcing it are two separate things. I also hate the rule. BUT if you have a rule then enforce it. Dont pick and choose when you are going to call it. I am blanking on the scenario but recall the Bills getting screwed on a taunting call in the HOU playoff loss. 

I couldn't care less about their apology or the change in the overtime rule.  You go up by three with 13 seconds left you should win the game every time. 

Having said that, either get rid of the taunting rule or call it consistently.  

18 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Yeah.  It's accurate.  

On the play, Hill flashed his patented "peace" sign at Bills defenders at about the 16-yard-line before completing the 64-yard touchdown that gave Kansas City a 33-29 lead. A taunting penalty would not have wiped out the score; it would have either been assessed on the point-after attempt or the ensuing kickoff.

Same would've happened if Matt Ryan scored a TD there instead of giving himself up.

If you want to nit pick i guess you could say that but come on he had the dude beat & a peace sign doesn't hurt a thing !

Now these guys that get up in some ones face and all that okay but a little bit of trash talking or things like this particular thing would be ridiculous if they did it for every little thing !

Now if they called something like that against the Bills and not on them okay i get it but as log as they are consistent its all good to me .

Edited by T master

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.