League admits mistake on late TyreekTD vs Bills

Simon

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Me too.  It's a stupid rule and it needs to go.

I dislike the taunting more than the rule personally, I'm just glad they ignored it late in that particular game.

• Eyeroll 1

I made a post about this back then and got scorched for it. Then again that was an ugly week of posting. Most peoples opinions on here at the time was it shouldn't have been called. Which I agreed with, but my point was it was a rule and was being called all year in that spot. So it should have been called.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Inconsequential

Yeah, it wouldn't have changed the TD. Just been enforced on the Kickoff. 

A lot of us were confusing the Matt Ryan taunting penalty that resulting in a 3rd and long when he seemed to have scored a rushing TD... He was ruled short of the goal bc he gave himself up...

Edited by Motorin'
  • Agree 1

I'm torn on this taunting thing. I hate most of the penalties after a big play and showing emotion and celebrating. But flashing a peace sign in a defenders face while the play is still going on should be called. Thats not showing emotion, that's being a duechebag. Literally the definition of taunting. Probably inconsequential, but should be called.

Edited by Bferra13
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Inconsequential

Agreed. Wouldn’t have negated the score. Plus, we scored after that. Can’t really get worked up about it. 

the one missed call I was mildly irked at was the illegal shift on the chiefs GW TD. But the way they were moving the ball, they were going to score a TD on that drive no matter what. 

15 minutes ago, Nostradumbass said:

We caught a break on the Matt Ryan taunting call

Stupid rule that needs to go

You call it a break and I say that probably cost us the Super Bowl. I'm not gonna go back and do the math now, but us being the 4 seed (i.e. Bengals route) would have been so much better. How I remember it anyways. The penalty needs to stay, but go back to the parameters it was called before.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

I dislike the taunting more than the rule personally, I'm just glad they ignored it late in that particular game.

I agree on both counts. I really don't like taunting. And I'm not really big on celebrating an inconsequential first down by jumping around and signaling it, either.  I would prefer guys hand the ball back to the official after scoring a TD.  I'm an old fuddy-duddy. So really, who gives a damn what I prefer?  I understand the game should be fun for the players, and the fans. So I prefer penalties not be called most of the time, especially in an important moment like that.

But celebrating to excess (elaborate choreographed bits), excessive delay of game or blatant taunting should be called, IMO.  I'm not sure how I would define "blatant taunting", but I know it when I see it. Waving, a peace sign, etc, doesn't rise to the penalty level, IMO. 

I'd like to think the pendulum just swung a bit too far after the league made it a point of emphasis last year. (After pretty much ignoring it for a long time.)  I figured they'd dial it back a bit this coming season. But judging by this news, perhaps I'm off base.

4 hours ago, Simon said:

Just a taunting they didn't call.

It certainly looked like a penalty at the time but I'm glad they didn't call it.

Who cares he was scoring it doesn’t affect the play on the field idc 

now if there was a holding or off PI I would be pissed but he was scoring don’t change the game bc he is celebrating idc if it hurts feelings 

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

I'm torn on this taunting thing. I hate most of the penalties after a big play and showing emotion and celebrating. But flashing a peace sign in a defenders face while the play is still going on should be called. Thats not showing emotion, that's being a duechebag. Literally the definition of taunting. Probably inconsequential, but should be called.

thing about that "peace" sign was,  it wasnt really about peace,  it was throwing 2 fingers in the Bills' faces,  as in,  we just beat u twice in the playoffs.   thats a douche move by Hill.    should it have been called?  by the letter of the law,  yes.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.