New OT rule is approved for postseason

YoloinOhio

38 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Should have been this way from the beginning. Including the regular season.

Yep, it was obvious from the beginning. Not sure why it took this long nor why they aren’t including regular season this time 🤦‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

Next time you are depressed at work unable to perform the simplest of tasks.

Just remember the NFL rules committee that wasn't  smart enough to think ahead that some team could get screwed and never get the ball back.

YOU ARE SMARTER THEN THE ENTIRE RULES COMMITTEE , not to mention the owners

Maybe you should ask for a raise...:w00t:

Edited by HOUSE

13 minutes ago, MJS said:

No, because if both teams score, whoever has the third possession can go win the game with a TD or field goal. You want that third possession, so you take the ball first.

That makes sense too... Actually this could get interesting. 

If you take the ball 1st, you would get a potential 3rd possession if both teams score a TD. However, if you don't score a TD you are on the line to get beat by 1 play. A lot depends on the type of game. 

If it's a KC/BUF type game then you probably take the ball 1st since defense was not being played. But it's extremely unusual to see a TD-TD-TD type game. 

But in most games, I would still expect teams to choose to kick, because then they know what they need to win. 

Seems to be a good rule change.  I'm not sure that any set of overtime rules can be perfectly fair, short of having a full 15 minute overtime period, but this may be better for the playoffs.  I don't concern myself much with "woulda, coulda, shoulda."  If this is such an obvious improvement in the overtime rules, why didn't Buffalo propose it a few years ago?  The answer:  NFL rules changes are almost always reactionary.  It never anticipates a problem cropping up sometime in the future.  Since that is the case, why worry about it?  Just keep tweaking the rules as it seems appropriate, and hopefully as the NFL evolves it will become more fair over time.  Use the past as a tool to inform a better future rather than fretting about stuff in the past we cant change.

I understand why they changed the OT rule for playoffs..But it's a lock, the next time the Bills play a postseason OT game, they will score a TD on their first possession.  And somehow the new rule with bite us and the Bills will ultimately lose the game.  Book it.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I understand why they changed the OT rule for playoffs..But it's a lock, the next time the Bills play a postseason OT game, they will score a TD on their first possession.  And somehow the new rule with bite us and the Bills will ultimately lose the game.  Book it.

It doesn't change anything really..if I understand correctly. After each possession it goes into sudden death, right?

Well going back to that game. The chiefs score /bills score..

Chiefs going down the field again n scored a td or field goal and the game is over....sooo u still lose? 

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone remember the Tampa game? Josh and the Bills offense was in the zone heading to OT. They won the toss went 3 and out. Tampa won on the next possession.

You mean the Tampa game where they ignored the PI on Diggs in the endzone that would have allowed the Bills to win in regulation, but then in OT called a PI on Wallace when Mike Evans was pulling him into himself by the back of Wallace's helmet. This OT rule would obviously have requisite designed "Brady offsets" inherent in the way it's enforced.

• Like (+1) 2

Not as fun as what I cooked up. I came up with this back in January as an alternative:

OT would result in each team getting at least one possession to score points. The team that gets the ball first may punt, score a field goal,  or a touchdown. The second team must beat the previous teams points:

1. if the first team punted, the second team can kick a field goal to win. 

2. If the first team kicked a field goal, the second team must score a touchdown to win.

3. If the first team scored a touchdown, the second team must also score a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion to win.

The only way to end the game without each team getting a possession is if the first team gives up a safety on their possession, or if they go downfield, score a touchdown AND a 2 point conversion themselves. If they convert the 2 points they win, if they fail they only score 6 and the second team can then simply score a touchdown to win. High risk/reward.

if each team has a possession in which they both punt, the next team to score any points is the winner.

22 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Now watch. It will be 3-5 years before we see OT in a playoff game.😂

You may be right, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. Personally I hate these ot conversations. Everyone has an opinion and nobody seems to agree when it comes to ot. Ideally I'd love the bills to always win in regulation 

1 hour ago, The 9 Isles said:

A year too late. 

A decade too late.  The rules have been stupid for years, obviously stupid, and the NFL for its own purposes refused to recognize it.  They had to wait until the whole country could see that one team was getting screwed before they changed it.  

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure how I feel about this rule.  Yeah, it would have helped us in the chiefs game, but moving forward will the chance benefit or hurt us?

And why not the regular season?  What if a team needs a win last game of the season to get in and a non-playoff bound team wins the toss and wins the game on a walk off TD?  How is that fair that the very next week same scenario and both teams get the ball?

This may be an unpopular statement but if the Bills had done the right thing at the end of the 4th, we wouldn’t have this rule change.

Now we have two Bills’ rules, the Tasker Rule, the gunner can’t run down the sideline out of bounds and renter the field and make the tackle, and now the Josh Allen Rule.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.