NFL Teams mandated to hire minority coach as offensive assistant

UKBillFan

23 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

The problem is, "most qualified" is a fairly subjective assessment, and for a long time, experience has been a critical factor.  If the white guys are always going to have the most experience because NFL teams have been hiring white guys since just about forever, how are the minority coach wannabes ever going to get the experience to compete on a level playing field.  It is not a level playing field at the present time because of the experience factor.  How do you level it without rule changes like this one?

Agreed, not sure what the answer is on how to get the experience needed to qualify, but I don’t believe simply forcing owners to hire based on skin colour is the solution long term.  Just my opinion of course and reserve the right to change when I gain more knowledge.

19 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Originally from Ireland so occasionally. When texting back home have to make sure autocorrect leaves the extra u in there or they give me crap 😂 

Haha family making sure you remember your roots, good on them

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

um, it’s an illegal step. 

Considering all 32 teams are on board with this NFL policy, and many of these will be new positions initially funded by the league, who you think would have standing to file suit against it?

Edited by BayBuck
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

To me, inviting assistant coaches to these league get togethers makes a lot of sense. It allows them to network and it doesn't really "cost" anything to do. So you put out a little more food at the fancy coaches breakfast. 

It seems like an easy win

This actually a good idea.  Its always good for the various individuals to know each other before the real evaluations have to occur to make a hire.  The lack of a network is a big disadvantage in hiring situations This is a start on breaking down those societal walls.  Other measures pre hiring assessment also could be considered.  One needs to recognize that putting a billion plus dollar investment in the hands of an individual requires confidence in  making the offer.  Who you know matters as communication up and down the line is critical and the  communications have to be easy, not formal.  Such networking also allows the applicant to decide if they really want to work for a given individual.

Personally, I am indifferent to race in hiring.   Pick the  best candidate, if they perform, great.  If not, fire them and move on to another candidate.

Look, I think rules forcing an arbitrary number of minorities to be interviewed/hired/whatever is dumb too, but I wouldn't worry about "oh no, what if they're not qualified enough?" as some people are bringing up.

First off, it's just one position on the entire staff, and an ASSISTANT at that. Then when you factor in that nearly 75% of the NFL's 1,700 active players are minorities, surely many are qualified for a position as an assistant, just as the thousands more of retired players interested in coaching could be.

Lastly, we all know being best qualified & pure merit isn't how it works anyway. How many assistant coaches & even coordinators are just sons or direct family of coaches already? Clearly, just having a spot on a staff opens up an entire new world of opportunity for these guys by getting their foot in the door, so that's likely what this rule is hoping to promote.

Doesn't mean I like it, but half these guys would just as easily hire a potato for an assistant if it had their last name. 

It is interesting because the people who oppose the Rooney Rule often say "the problem isn't racism it is the fact that the league has slanted heavily towards offense and there are not enough black offensive coaches in the pipeline."

Then when the NFL tries to tackle that they say "well you can't do that."

This is an arbitrary and slightly artificial solution and hopefully it is something that doesn't need to stay beyond a year or two. But it is worth trying. 

22 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

Why offensive assistants? Do they believe they are more easily offended?

Because the league is hiring mainly offensive coaches at the moment and there is a lack of minority coaches on the offensive side of the ball, which in turn means fewer offensive coaches getting HC jobs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

29 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would just make up a new position like assistant assistant RB coach and hire the hottest chick that interviewed just to show how stupid it is to mandate anything.

you are hiring a hot chick to show the NFL how they screwed up? Because that will show Dan Snyder he screwed up! 😀

On 3/29/2022 at 10:24 AM, julian said:

Actually plenty of people of all ethnicities acknowledge racism is bad and don’t subscribe to the theory of eliminating racism with more racism as acceptable practice.

Yaaa...US had slavery 50 years, Constitutional  slavery for 100 years...and another 100 years of legal, legislated racism...that was till active in my lifetime and is 80 percent of the timeline of our countries history.

I tend to think white dudes have zero concept on what it is to be a minority in this county.  

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

Just watch- in a few years, there will be a new rule that says if you have a white HC, the next HC MUST be a minority...And maybe the same for GM...

Just have a feeling, this thing isn’t going to stop here, based on how society only seems to judge people on skin color now...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, RangerDave said:

Wow.  My take on it is that the NFL acknowledges that equally qualified, or better qualified, minorities are unfairly being denied opportunities based on their skin color (or other minority attribute) and they are trying to rectify that problem.

But you do you.

Exactly right.  How anyone can be in denial of this given the history NFL coaching and personnel hires is beyond me.

Almost 100 years in and Jason Wright, hired by Washington in 2020, is the 1st black team President in NFL history.  Come on, now...

On 3/29/2022 at 5:16 AM, njbuff said:

So, the NFL is telling minorities they are too stupid to get these jobs on their own merit?

Ok

This is what I don’t like about practices like this. I want to get job or be rewarded for my actions, but getting a job based on my race would have me wondering, “did I really earn this”? In a way, it feels like this is cheating people out of a sense of accomplishment. 

I work in the construction industry, construction safety specifically. The projects with the best safety rates, are the ones with the best safety culture, everyone is bought in. But that culture is created over night, it takes time and by in by leadership.

I see diverse hiring practices in a similar vein. The culture surrounding the hiring of minority candidates needs to be fostered to where those hiring are truly picking the person who is the most qualified, regardless of race/sex. 

In this case, the NFL has bad PR surrounding this issue and they are forcing a quick solution in order to change their image, with little thought towards the future. 

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Yaaa...US had slavery 50 years, Constitutional  slavery for 100 years...and another 100 years of legal, legislated racism...that was till active in my lifetime and is 80 percent of the timeline of our countries history.

I tend to think white dudes have zero concept on what it is to be a minority in this county.  

The whole race issue has gone too far currently. I’m married to a non white woman (I’m white), and she is also from a different country. Her and I talk all the time of about the “soft” racism she experiences all the time. When I say soft racism, I mean people being overly nice or going out of there way to make comments about her skin, hair, clothes, whatever. It’s cool that people are nice, but at the same time, it’s so awkward and feels so forced. The funny thing is, it wasn’t this until the last handful of years and we live in a VERY liberal area. When we visit family in non liberal areas, she is treated just like a normal person, no special treatment, but also no aggressive racist treatment either. 

The current culture surrounding racism is such that now people are swinging in the opposite direction and being overly nice to those who are non white. That also isn’t right. People are people, and that’s how we as society need to see others. People should be treated based on they are as a person, not race. Also, why does there have to be labels like, “African Americans”, “Chinese Americans”, “latin Americans”, we are all Americans. These labels only further division. 

In an effort to solve racism, we are creating more racism. That’s not the answer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.