NFL Teams mandated to hire minority coach as offensive assistant

UKBillFan

58 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Yaaa...US had slavery 50 years, Constitutional  slavery for 100 years...and another 100 years of legal, legislated racism...that was till active in my lifetime and is 80 percent of the timeline of our countries history.

I tend to think white dudes have zero concept on what it is to be a minority in this county.  

Ok lol

I do see the point of being aggressive in their candidate searches, and there is merit to push to interview, but not

pushed to hire.  It’s a knee jerk reaction.  

There is merit to diversity candidates getting lower level coaching jobs increases the pool of higher level position later as they develop.  So there is a point I can see to really aggressively interview diverse candidates.

i just dont Like the idea of forcing

hires and is disrespectful to the legitimate candidates.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

Yaaa...US had slavery 50 years, Constitutional  slavery for 100 years...and another 100 years of legal, legislated racism...that was till active in my lifetime and is 80 percent of the timeline of our countries history.

I tend to think white dudes have zero concept on what it is to be a minority in this county.  

Maybe you should talk with some people on how Italians were treated in this country when they first started coming over. 

I'm not comparing but I do think you're ignorant of the ability of whites to conceptualize.  White people are among the people hardest working on racism. 

On 3/29/2022 at 6:56 AM, Bill Lewes said:

LOST -

I agree that equity isn't the same as equality, so no flame, just questions ...

What if the real numbers are able to show that minorities aren't being hired fairly?
How do you get from "one offensive coach" to 40-50% of a coaching staff?

I'd disagree with your suggested representative percentage of job-seekers should equal hires -- that seems like just an unfairly forced arbitrary number which has little to do with quality of applicants.

The 9 Isles - 

I appreciate your optimism that NFL owners and their partners are socially conscious investors ...   ;)

isn't this EXACTLY what the new proposed rules/ guideline are, unfairly forced arbitrary number with little to do with quality of applicants?

On 3/29/2022 at 7:12 AM, Big Turk said:

The problem is the racism is far more of an issue with these coaches not getting hired in the first place. And it's not always intended racism, a lot of times it's hidden racism...two equally qualified candidates that people are on the fence with...one white, one black...which do you think gets the job? I'd say in 90% of cases it's the white person. Why? Because 90% of the time they are being hired by other white people.

I honestly don't believe that. Obviously it's just my opinion and I'm subject to be wrong. I live in south Alabama and trust me I know racist people and good luck ever changing their mind, they only leave their "world" to make money at work.

In sports you come up with a melting pot of a locker room that is majority black by the time you get to college. I don't think those white guys that end up head coaches are racist in any sense. 

I don't like the new rule, I find punishing or rewarding someone simply based off skin color is bad business. 

Edited by Southern_Bills

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would just make up a new position like assistant assistant RB coach and hire the hottest chick that interviewed just to show how stupid it is to mandate anything.

Over/Under on how long it'll be before we see a lawsuit about this? 

I was hired by "X" team to be an assistant to the traveling secretary, and they only gave me menial tasks to do! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, TH3 said:

Dude I’m with ya.  Then these same ignorant people have kids… teach them their good ol beliefs…. and repeat for generations to come.  Endless cycle.   

18 hours ago, TH3 said:

I'm a 'white dude' and I tend to agree.  

The more you read about this stuff, and hear about it from the vantage of people of color, the more you realize how unjust/unfair society remains.  I'm not saying we haven't made progress, but we still have a ways to go.   There are no easy or perfect answers.  But I'm glad the NFL is trying to do something more.

In a league where owners make more money when they win , 75%+ of the players are black, and they are paid millions.... people really and TRULY believe an owner / GM won't hire a coach because of their skin color. It's an insane thought. "Yeah, this coach will help me win the most games and make the most money but ehhh he's a minority, I won't hire him." 

Let's not forget that 2 black GMs that were hired passed on minority candidates and hired white coaches (Chicago and Minnesota). What's the reasoning there? Chicago literally passed on Jim Caldwell for a guy that was never a head coach.

If I'm a minority coach, this infuriates me. I would feel as though I'm being hired because I HAVE to be, not because I'm qualified to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.