NFL Teams mandated to hire minority coach as offensive assistant

UKBillFan

1 hour ago, Lost said:

Unpopular opinion - Equity is racism.

I support minority candidates getting more coaching positions but I don't like the idea of mandating such things as it could create an eventual artificial disparity amongst coaching staff in the league.   I don't know the numbers here but what if only 5% of the potential applicants seeking coaching positions are minority in some instances?  What if a team has no minority candidates currently seeking a position within their organization?   In a few years we're could be looking at a situation where minority coaches are 40-50% of all coaching staff when maybe 10-15% of individuals seeking coaching positions are minority.   I think its a better representation of the league and society in general to have the number of minority coaches actually representative of the percentage who are seeking position vs. a forced arbitrary number.  if 60% of of applicants are minority then it makes much more sense for the coaching staff makeup to also be around 60%

okay, flame away

In a league where 70% of players would be considered minority, the coaching ranks don’t match that. Especially on the offensive side of the ball where most NFL Head Coaching jobs are coming from nowadays.

If anything this is trying to fix an artificial disparity between coaching and players that already exists. As far as whether minority people want to apply for a job, I’m sure teams can find one of thousands of retired players who would be willing to take a job in a coaching staff.

Whether this works is one thing, but I don’t think it’s a bad idea to try this.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, I don't know what the right answer for any of this is.

I don't necessarily like the idea of people being "forced" into positions...but on the other side I don't see how people think absolutely nothing is wrong and there isn't any kind of bias whatsoever when we literally have what, 2 black head coaches in the entire league? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lost said:

I support minority candidates getting more coaching positions but I don't like the idea of mandating such things as it could create an eventual artificial disparity amongst coaching staff in the league.   I don't know the numbers here but what if only 5% of the potential applicants seeking coaching positions are minority in some instances?  What if a team has no minority candidates currently seeking a position within their organization?   In a few years we're could be looking at a situation where minority coaches are 40-50% of all coaching staff when maybe 10-15% of individuals seeking coaching positions are minority.   I think its a better representation of the league and society in general to have the number of minority coaches actually representative of the percentage who are seeking position vs. a forced arbitrary number.  if 60% of of applicants are minority then it makes much more sense for the coaching staff makeup to also be around 60%

okay, flame away

You just made what is called "an availability pool argument"  Its a valid concern, and objectives in other court ordered hiring/promotion actions take that factor into account.  The NFL just lacks the smarts on how to handle this right now.

As a black man, these kind of rules make a mockery of black people/people of color candidates. I understand what the NFL is trying to do and that is to "Save face". The problem is that they keep trying to make the NFL more diverse from the coaching level up. It doesn't work that way and it hasn't worked that way. I personally think that the owners need to hire more diverse candidates at the higher executive level (Director of PPP, VP, Presidents, Director of college scouting, Senior VP of player personnel/development). Then just let the diversity naturally trickle down to the coaching level. Idk it's just kind of counter intuitive. It creates this narrative that people of color or women are only hired because of a forced rule rather than them just being qualified for the job. 

Edited by Santana
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The NFL is also looking at having teams invite staff members to league events, an idea Commanders coach Ron Rivera said he believes would help the cause since it would allow minority candidates to get acquainted with decision-makers in more relaxed settings, Battista added.

i like this idea. I think it could actually potentially help. 

2 hours ago, Lost said:

okay, flame away

AHHH....the old reverse racism problem ...why is it white dudes always come up with this? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

As long as the NFL is paying for it...I think its fine. 

Its like pretty much hiring an intern. Just sit there and learn how to be an offensive minded coach.

Its just training. If minority coaches and assistants believe they are above it....then thats fine too.

Ill bet there are plenty of minorities looking to learn the ways of NFL coaching.

EDIT:

Just imagine you are an ex NFL player thats gotten into coaching and has interest in climbing the ladder.

You just got the job to be an offensive assistant under Sean McVay. You learn under him for a couple of years and you get it. Youll be a coordinator in no time.

Edited by Ramza86
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TH3 said:

AHHH....the old reverse racism problem ...why is it white dudes always come up with this? 

Actually plenty of people of all ethnicities acknowledge racism is bad and don’t subscribe to the theory of eliminating racism with more racism as acceptable practice.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

To me, inviting assistant coaches to these league get togethers makes a lot of sense. It allows them to network and it doesn't really "cost" anything to do. So you put out a little more food at the fancy coaches breakfast. 

It seems like an easy win

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-forming-new-committee-to-review-league-and-team-policies-regarding-diversity

Plus other changes noted. I guess we meet the criteria as Kelly Skipper is our Running Backs coach? In theory, it’s a positive step for the NFL.

My concern as far as football is related is that there will be to many chefs in the kitchen. Ken Dorsey is our OC, We hired Shula to be senior offensive assistant, we hired Joe Brady a former OC as QB coach... adding another coach to these game plan meeting can get confusing. Based off new NFL rules they have to be involved in these meetings... and honestly I dont think Skipper deserves this type of promotion. He hasnt done much for our running backs. Singletary is ok but so far he has failed to develope Moss.

2 hours ago, Lost said:

okay, flame away

I think your logic is a little forced.

image.thumb.png.671f06ccdc03f14fcde7cf81a434009b.png

Relax!! The NFL is not going to run out of white coaches any time soon. Giving opportunity to others won't hurt the product on the field.

9 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

My concern as far as football is related is that there will be to many chefs in the kitchen. Ken Dorsey is our OC, We hired Shula to be senior offensive assistant, we hired Joe Brady a former OC as QB coach... adding another coach to these game plan meeting can get confusing. Based off new NFL rules they have to be involved in these meetings... and honestly I dont think Skipper deserves this type of promotion. He hasnt done much for our running backs. Singletary is ok but so far he has failed to develope Moss.

Or there might be some extra talent in the room that leads to innovation...

Why do we go to these guys are worthless....

30 minutes ago, julian said:

Actually plenty of people of all ethnicities acknowledge racism is bad and don’t subscribe to the theory of eliminating racism with more racism as acceptable practice.

I'm not sure how adding a minority person to the room is racist.

• Sad 1

Maybe Moss just wasn't a good pick? It's not always the coach's fault when a player doesn't succeed. Aaron Maybin, Andy Katzenmoyer, John McCargo, for example. Other times, it's a scheme fit/coaching that brings out the best in a player (like Jerry Hughes). It depends on the situation.

1 hour ago, Santana said:

As a black man, these kind of rules make a mockery of black people/people of color candidates. I understand what the NFL is trying to do and that is to "Save face". The problem is that they keep trying to make the NFL more diverse from the coaching level up. It doesn't work that way and it hasn't worked that way. I personally think that the owners need to hire more diverse candidates at the higher executive level (Director of PPP, VP, Presidents, Director of college scouting, Senior VP of player personnel/development). Then just let the diversity naturally trickle down to the coaching level. Idk it's just kind of counter intuitive. It creates this narrative that people of color or women are only hired because of a forced rule rather than them just being qualified for the job. 

What viable solution would you suggest. Looking at the current coach development pipeline there does seem to be evidence that it's not working.

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I mean to some degree with women yes, but I'd say the hotter the women is, the less likely it is she faces it...in fact I'd say she jumps over other candidates because...well, I think it's obvious why.

The bigger issue for that situation would be salary being lower than that of her male counterparts.

Statistically speaking, women are far less likely to reach the top of a company than males.  There’s any number of reasons that may be, but I’d say it’s fair to suggest there is a underlying bias in the world that plays out negatively for both women and minorities.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

All very fair.  

Not trying to be a wise guy, but in today’s climate, couldn’t one simply “identify” as a minority and it would stand? 

Ideally, that would be great.  I envision it being abused quite a bit.  I can see people who would "identify" as a minority if they thought it would give them a better opportunity for the job, even if they were not 1/16 "X".  Since my mom was adopted, can I "identify" as a minority?  I might be!

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Honestly, I don't know what the right answer for any of this is.

I don't necessarily like the idea of people being "forced" into positions...but on the other side I don't see how people think absolutely nothing is wrong and there isn't any kind of bias whatsoever when we literally have what, 2 black head coaches in the entire league? 

This is how I feel. I can't understand how some people will add an eye roll or thumbs down emoji at the mention of racism or race based biases. NFL owners and GMs aren't walking around saying the n-word. They would all, probably, tell you that they aren't racist (just like many of the eye rollers here). That doesn't mean they don't harbor subconscious racial biases. Numerous sociology studies have shown this is a factor in modern workplaces.

But what is the solution? You can't mandate racism away. You have to educate people about racism and its history. But you can't educate the unwilling. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Covid ushered in a lot of mandate culture.  .Gov and corporate America saw the majority of people want to be team players and will tolerate *a lot* before getting upset about it and doing something about it.    

The NFL is no different.  In a different time, they wouldn't have dared telling owners and teams who they *will* hire.  I can't imagine the NAACP of the past being cool whatsoever with the message not said aloud with such a directive.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.