Question on PSL's

Stroke 17

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Guess I need to get to more games in the next 4 years... that's the Bills window anyway.  

Erie County can choke on the 15 event per year, big albatross , after that.     

Still not buying that a tiny market like WNY benefits from a $1.4+B stadium ,relative to the cost.   For example, I don't see the NFL banging on Green Bay to build something new.   How is it that Green Bay gets away with it, but WNY needs to cave in to the NFL to the detriment of the average fan, the county and the state? 

If you have ever been to Green Bay you might understand that place has been completely redone or at least it looks like it has the place is a shrine ! 

2 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Guess I need to get to more games in the next 4 years... that's the Bills window anyway.  

Still not buying that a tiny market like WNY benefits from a $1.4+B stadium ,relative to the cost.   For example, I don't see the NFL banging on Green Bay to build something new.   How is it that Green Bay gets away with it, but WNY needs to cave in to the NFL to the detriment of the average fan, the county and the state? 

In fairness, Green Bay completed a major stadium a few years ago similar to what Kansas City did.

Western New York had the same option, but the study determined that the renovation would add only 20 years to the life of Highmark stadium.

Between the 65" TV, blue tooth sound system, furniture and bar I built, I'm in for $5500 for my man cave. I get to choose my neighbor (not some drunk @&#) and the weather is always nice. September and October games on the back deck with my grill and smoker set up. If you have a medical weed card, you get parking preference and we can do the tailgating festivities like beer pong, cornhole etc. No table jumping! This will be the 7th straight season. I do try to make 1 home game. I'm September or October.  Sooo much better, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Purchase of a PSL allows and obligates the season ticket holder to purchase season tickets every year.  You won’t be able to purchase them without one.  Also won’t be able to decline purchase of your season tickets without selling or losing your PSL.  This last point is an important one.  If the team goes on a bad run and there is low demand for PSLs and season tickets, then the PSL holders would have a tough decision.  The choices would be to: 1) continue to buy season tickets they might not want, 2) sell their PSLs at a loss or 3) if there is no PSL market walk away and allow their PSLs to revert back to the team.  In the last instance the team could sell those seats as single game tickets until demand picked back up.  At that time the team could resell the PSLs and pocket that money.

this is the key in the legal spdocument…

if yiu win a PSL, do you also have to buy season tickets or can you pass on it for a season.

this is subject to NY stsate law

5 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

without a dome to hold events year round the PSL really is less value.  Great point about Green Bay, or Bears for that reason.  Yeah they renovated, but so did we. 

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

great.  let's do that and skip the PSLs and the burden on the community, who will get very little use out of a new stadium, or the current one for that matter

this ain't LA.  Buffalo is not getting an outdoor Super Bowl in February.  An outdoor stadium will be useless 8 months out of the year. 

It all seems negative to me.  Not seeing any positives out of this.   

exactly.  there will be increased travel to games because they are inside, wait, nevermind.  The whole thing is ill conceived.  I don’t live in NYS (Pgh) but this stadium will only serve Buffalo at most late April to October for non-football and the rest of the time is used once a week.  

3 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

In fairness, Green Bay completed a major stadium a few years ago similar to what Kansas City did.

Western New York had the same option, but the study determined that the renovation would add only 20 years to the life of Highmark stadium.

that study seems suspect given that Soldier Field is still around.   Wrigley, etc.  

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

great.  let's do that and skip the PSLs and the burden on the community, who will get very little use out of a new stadium, or the current one for that matter

Read the articles.  It's not economically feasible to rebuild the stadium  It would cost nearly as much to rebuild the stadium as to build the new one, the rebuild stadium would have a shorter life span, and it wouldn't be as nice.  

The options are build a stadium or lose the team.  Pretty simple.  Sounds like you're prepared to lose the team.  I'm not a New York State taxpayer, so I'm all for a new stadium.   I can see how some state and local taxpayers might feel differently.  

The Permanent Sucker License (PSL) skinny

1.  If you fail to buy season tickets EACH season, you must either sell you PSL or surrender it to the BIlls.  The Bills can then resell surrendered PSLs.

2. My friend sold his Baltimore PSL for very little extra return after holding it for 10+ years

3. The closer you get to the field, the higher the PSL cost (of course)

4. They can be transferred in your estate, but see number 1 above

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

that study seems suspect given that Soldier Field is still around.   Wrigley, etc.  

Soldier field is a brand new stadium.  They kept the facade and built a new stadium inside it.  

Wrigley field seats 40,000.   If you want to remove the upper deck at HighMark and have 40,000 for Bills games, sorry, that doesn't meet NFL minimums.  

Literally hundreds of smart people have worked for 10 years to find the best solution to a new stadium in Buffalo.   When they all finally agree on a path forward, some people think that they have a better idea.   If there was a better idea, some people would have suggested it before now.  

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

1.  If you fail to buy season tickets EACH season, you must either sell you PSL or surrender it to the BIlls.  The Bills can then resell surrendered PSLs.

2. My friend sold his Baltimore PSL for very little extra return after holding it for 10+ years

And the real problem with seat licenses, as you point out, is that they often become worthless.   The Jets forced a lot of people to buy seat licenses, and three years later they were selling season tickets in the same section without requiring a PSL.   So why did those people have buy them?

25 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

exactly.  there will be increased travel to games because they are inside, wait, nevermind.  The whole thing is ill conceived.  I don’t live in NYS (Pgh) but this stadium will only serve Buffalo at most late April to October for non-football and the rest of the time is used once a week.  

Soldier field was rebuilt from the ground up. All that is original are the roman columns at the gate. It's only 20 years old.

1 minute ago, DieHardFan said:

Key question for me is whether the PSLs will be sold to current STHs on a senority basis like the last time they revamped the stadium or will present day greed set aside the best ones for pegula family, friends, and corporate cronies?

I believe Bills STHers get first crack by seniority. 

1 minute ago, DieHardFan said:

Key question for me is whether the PSLs will be sold to current STHs on a senority basis like the last time they revamped the stadium or will present day greed set aside the best ones for pegula family, friends, and corporate cronies?

They have suites set aside for the owners, etc.

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

And the real problem with seat licenses, as you point out, is that they often become worthless.   The Jets forced a lot of people to buy seat licenses, and three years later they were selling season tickets in the same section without requiring a PSL.   So why did those people have buy them?

Yep..  The only person(s) this hurts is/are the loyal season tickets holders.  The rest of us who catch a game or two, will buy single season games priced based on location and the record of the Bills at the time.  Season ticket holders will be given a choice of comparable seats to what they current hold and given a defined window of time to either accept the new seats, choose new seats (that aren't being held for other ST holders), or pass on the opportunity.  And the loyal season ticket holders will be held to legal extortion by the Bills and NFL.

Edited by wjag

15 minutes ago, wjag said:

You have to think of PSL's as a user's contribution to the cost of construction. I mean if you are a season ticket holder you get more benefit from a new stadium than someone who doesn't.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, eee1776 said:

I live in Charlotte, NC where I think this whole mess started. I have friends that either sold there PSL's and made a profit. Or sold theme for even money. PSL's; in my opinion it holds the seat license holder hostage. The only benefit is to the Owners of Football teams, a cheap way to pay them back for building a stadium. Basically, it's the same benefit you have now at High Mark without having to buy a seat for the privilege of buying your game tickets. Wait until you seat the cost of good seats. Watch a panther game, it's all corporate seating.

Anyway, it just my opinion. 

I also live in Clt, moved here in 98 right when the Panthers started playing in the stadium here.

I know multiple PSL holders. You have to renew your seasons every year or the PSL is lost. 
    Also, the best time to sell is also the best time to watch . PSL values are analogous to housing values in as much as they are defined by the market conditions. You can sell when your team sucks but you won’t get that much for them.

I don’t know a single “ Die Hard” Panther’s fan. All the people I know who have PSLs sell most of their tickets during the season. 
   My guess is the price of tickets is about to go through the roof. Joe Six pack is pretty much priced out of the lower bowl and much of the upper bowl here.

Edited by Buffalo Boy
  • Like (+1) 1

Live in Vegas and a season tix holder for Raiders. PSLs suck - you pay a one time fee over an agreed upon time - typically 4 years - with a percentage down when buying. The hook is, you NEED to buy season tix EVERY YEAR (till eternity) in order to keep your seats. Should you ever decline to buy season tix you lose your seats and aren’t refunded the cost of PSLs. It’s a racket because there’s really no reason to charge people for seats twice (PSL and season tix) but kinda forced people to remain season tix holders. One small benefit is early access tix sales to events at the venue, but also creates a crazy second market for events at said venue. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.