TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - Completed

Virgil

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Depends on whether or not they believe in BPA, and to what degree they are slaves to "need".

I don't think Watson or Pierce are rated anywhere near Hill or Wyatt in terms of value.

I also think that WR, corner, and edge -- their three biggest needs -- are deep enough positions in this draft that with two 2nds and two 3rd, they can address them.

I also kind of expect the Chiefs to trade one of those late 1sts for an established WR in real life, and to sign Ingram, Clowney, Houston, or Hughes at edge.

i think they're all comparable...but who knows... 

16 minutes ago, Virgil said:

😁

Is it crazy to anyone else that 3 DT's from the same team are projected as first round picks?

I remember the year a mediocre NC State team had three DL go in the first round...unfortunately, the Bills took the worst of the bunch...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

I hope IRL that Watson does not end up in the Chiefs hands.

Not really scared of Watson. There are a ton of people with speed, but that doesn't mean anything. He never even put up 1,000 yards in a college season at an FCS school. He only has a whopping total of three 100 yd games in his entire college career. Send him to KC. 

Edited by H2o

With the 31st selection, the Cincinnati Bengals select Kaiir Elam, CB, Florida

We filled our OL needs in free agency and we feel good about our front 4. Boundary CB is by far our biggest need and this is a case where BPA matched up with need. We think Elam projects as a true #1 CB because of his length and athleticism.

The Lions @NewEra is on the clock.

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Lions (NewEra) are on the clock

With the 32nd pick, the Detroit Lions select Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia. 

We have another pick very soon, so we won’t be discussing the other players that we considered.

Off ball LB in the first round, meh.  Not ideal, but he was the BPA on our board and happens to play a position of weakness.  Can’t teach that kind of athleticism.  Solid in every aspect, a true 3 down LB.  Tough, fearless and a leader in every sense.  Fits the culture Campbell is looking to instill.

That concludes the first round.  

@section122 and the Baalkes are on the clock.

14 minutes ago, mannc said:

I remember the year a mediocre NC State team had three DL go in the first round...unfortunately, the Bills took the worst of the bunch...

We wound up with all three on our team at different points in their careers too

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 1.0 - The Jaguars (section122) are on the clock
2 hours ago, Logic said:

With the 29th pick in the 2022 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Daxton Hill, Safety/CB/deadly weapon, Michigan

Put simply, Hill was sticking out on our board like a sore thumb. While we ideally wanted to address wide receiver, corner, or edge rusher here, the value at those positions simply was not there at this spot. I also think that by the time the draft rolls around, the Chiefs will have signed Jadeveon Clowney or Melvin Ingram. We want to add playmakers on our defense at all three levels, and after the departure of Honey Badger, not to mention the increase in passing prowess in the AFC West this offseason, we needed a shot of playmaking ability and juice in our secondary. Enter Hill. He will instantly bring explosive, ballhawking ability as a safety, and also has the ability to effectively play nickel or even outside corner. In short, he will move around our secondary and make plays wherever he lines up. In 2022, he'll be a sub-package player and swiss army knife. In 2023, Juan Thornhill's contract is up, and Hill will ideally take over at Free Safety for the next decade+. While safety was not our biggest need, the value here couldn't be ignored, nor could the playmaking ability.

With the 30th pick in the 2022 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select Devonte Wyatt, Defensive Tackle, Georgia

Again, this was the best player on our board. A true BPA pick. The only defensive tackle under contract beyond 2023 is Chris Jones. Meanwhile, Khalen Saunders and Derick Nnadi are nothing to write home about. After giving up an eye-popping 4.8 yards per rush in 2021 -- second worst in the league -- we wanted to add talent to the interior of our defensive line and give Chris Jones some help. Wyatt's best position may be at 3T, but he can play -- and has played -- anywhere along the line of scrimmage, from 0 to 7 technique. His addition helps both our run and pass defense and gives us two movable pieces (Jones and Wyatt) that will allow us to diversify our pass rush package. David Ojabo and Boye Mafe were considered here, but the recent injury to the former gave us pause as to his potential for full recovery, and it was a touch early for the latter.

@HappyDays and his Cincinnati Bengals are now on the clock.

I get your “logic” here, and Chiefs definitely need the defensive help.  But I think it’s unlikely they don’t give their half billion dollar QB a new shiny toy here with one of these 2 picks.  Hill was just too important of a piece for them.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I get your “logic” here, and Chiefs definitely need the defensive help.  But I think it’s unlikely they don’t give their half billion dollar QB a new shiny toy here with one of these 2 picks.  Hill was just too important of a piece for them.  

But they have JuJu and MVS now!! Championship!!!  🤣 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I understand that perspective and don't necessarily disagree.

If I had my say, there would have been a WR on the board here worthy of a 1st round pick. The way this draft played out, there was not one, in my opinion.

So my choices were to either say "to hell with value and BPA, I'm taking a WR come hell or high water", or to do what I think NFL GMs more likely ACTUALLY do: Take the best player available.

In real life, I think the Chiefs are going to trade up and get Jameson Williams and I'm going to hate them for winning their "trade Hill away" gambit. In this exercise, though, I couldn't turn down adding two premium defensive playmakers, both of whom fell further than they should have, for the sake of reaching for a WR who was not worthy of a 1st round pick. 

The Chiefs defense also legitimately needs an infusion of talent, and I think part of the calculus of trading Hill away may have been to get extra draft capital to improve the team in other key areas.

Classic "need vs value" argument here, and for me, value wins out. Only bad GMs reach for need, in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Meh, he's a low-ceiling player. I think you have to do better than that in the first.

If we're faced with that situation in real life, I hope we trade back, improve our 2 and take Tariq Woolen and the best available WR.

I agree McDuffie is low ceiling. Woolen in the 2nd is extremely high ceiling. But super low floor.

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree McDuffie is low ceiling. Woolen in the 2nd is extremely high ceiling. But super low floor.

No question he's low floor. I just think we'll be good enough, and have a good enough staff and ability to coach him up, to take that risk. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't know that I agree that he has a low ceiling, I think that is being a bit over exaggerated with him personally.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mannc said:

i think they're all comparable...but who knows... 

I think Watson is. Pierce isn't. 

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't know that I agree that he has a low ceiling, I think that is being a bit over exaggerated with him personally.  

Fair enough but in my view you have a very low chance of having an all pro player with McDuffie. Equally I think you have a very low chance of a complete bust. 

I wouldn't hate it, but I'd feel it was a cautious, safe pick. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

I understand that perspective and don't necessarily disagree.

If I had my say, there would have been a WR on the board here worthy of a 1st round pick. The way this draft played out, there was not one, in my opinion.

So my choices were to either say "to hell with value and BPA, I'm taking a WR come hell or high water", or to do what I think NFL GMs more likely ACTUALLY do: Take the best player available.

In real life, I think the Chiefs are going to trade up and get Jameson Williams and I'm going to hate them for winning their "trade Hill away" gambit. In this exercise, though, I couldn't turn down adding two premium defensive playmakers, both of whom fell further than they should have, for the sake of reaching for a WR who was not worthy of a 1st round pick. 

The Chiefs defense also legitimately needs an infusion of talent, and I think part of the calculus of trading Hill away may have been to get extra draft capital to improve the team in other key areas.

Classic "need vs value" argument here, and for me, value wins out. Only bad GMs reach for need, in my opinion.

Or maybe Beane trades up a bit and takes Williams. I don't think that is outside the realm of possibility. Keeping him away from KC is a not inconsiderable bonus.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If we're taking a CB in the 1st it isn't because we think he can complement Tre White as a #2. Any CB we take in the 1st needs to be able to hold up as a #1 CB against the best WRs in the league. We are NOT drafting Levi Wallace's replacement in the 1st round. McDuffie does not project as a true #1 outside CB. His length is going to limit him.

Edited by HappyDays

With the 33rd pick the jacksonville jaguars select david ojabo edge michigan.

I know its doubling up on the position. I know its probably not popular but...

I think taking Hutchinson allows them to gamble AND wait.  The jags had success with myles jack who dropped and I think the value is excellent here.  A top 15 talent who can redshirt.  Does anyonw really think the jags are sb contenders no matter who the pick is?

The and Lions @NewEra are on the clock

Edited by section122
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If we're taking a CB in the 1st it isn't because we think he can complement Tre White as a #2. Any CB we take in the 1st needs to be able to hold up as a #1 CB against the best WRs in the league. We are NOT drafting Levi Wallace's replacement in the 1st round. McDuffie does not project as a true #1 outside CB. His length is going to limit him.

You're beating a dead horse at this point. Arm length is not the be all, end all when it comes to being a baller. You yourself pointed out that we took Ed Oliver because his on field play outweighed his less than ideal measurements. Is it less than ideal? Yes. But Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson's size were also less than ideal. 

McDuffie's very good vertical makes up for some of that length on reach. And his very good football IQ and lock down production, not allowing a TD in his final two seasons in College cannot be completely undermined simply because his arms are a whole quarter inch under 30.

Beane would not have met with him and scouted him as hard as he has if he was off the Draft board like you're determined to make him. You're entitled to your opinion. But you are in the extreme minority.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.