Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

15 minutes ago, Process said:

What was Cole's best season prior to playing with Josh Allen?

It's the season under "Best Season" in my post aka 2020. I did not differentiate between QBs. That is not how stats work. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Buftex said:

I wonder, did Beane overplay his hand with Bates at all?  He probably could have offered him less, and he would have been happy to sign a contract, knowing that he was was returning. But he let Bates go out and find another team to draw up a contract for him.  It looks as though the Bears structured a deal they didn't think the Bills would match.  Glad he is back, but wondering if this is one of those few times where Beane got a little too cocky.

No this is Beane's philosophy - players have earned right to free agency. 

If agent approached Beane with numbers the Bills would have done a contract with him.

Bates got some free hotel stays, meals and frequent flyer miles in off season.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Actually Crowder's best season was in 2016 (67, 847, 12.6, 7, 67.7%, don't know).  And it was better than Beasley's best season prior to joining the Bills.  The question is staying healthy.

The two seasons are pretty close. I went with 2019 personally because more catches and my own bias that I watched every jets game with him and he put that team on his back. You're probably correct that while he fewer catches, he had 1 more TD, 14 more yards and 3.8% higher catch percent in 2016. 

11 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Last Season: 

Crowder (7 Games) - Catches: 51, Yards: 447, Yard/Rec: 8.8, TDs: 2, Catch: 71.8%, YAC: 327

Beasley (16 games) - Catches: 82, Yards: 693, Yard/Rec: 8.5, TDs: 1, Catch: 73.2%, YAC: 305

Last Season:

Crowder:  (12 games)

Beasley: (18 games w/ playoffs)

2020 Season:

Crowder: (12 games)

Availability is a big ability.

Just now, Shake_My_Head said:

Last Season:

Crowder:  (12 games)

2020 Season:

Crowder: (12 games)

Availability is a big ability.

ok?

I posted stats. No one posts stats that include regular season and playoffs. You can do with them what you will. 

3 minutes ago, Malazan said:

The two seasons are pretty close. I went with 2019 personally because more catches and my own bias that I watched every jets game with him and he put that team on his back. You're probably correct that while he fewer catches, he had 1 more TD, 14 more yards and 3.8% higher catch percent in 2016. 

I went by totality.  Fewer catches but better numbers everywhere else.  And I think the bigger point is his best season pre-Josh was better than Bease's was pre-Josh, and Josh can certainly do for him what he did for Bease.  Hopefully the training staff does their best with him.

Beasley absolutely didn’t fall off a cliff last year - he never had any speed to begin with. Some fans like to justify a player Leaving by saying such things. My opinion is the Bills grew a bit sick of his antics and Beasley didn’t like some of the backlash he got from the public. Fresh start for both I suppose

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Turbo44 said:

Beasley absolutely didn’t fall off a cliff last year - he never had any speed to begin with. Some fans like to justify a player Leaving by saying such things. My opinion is the Bills grew a bit sick of his antics and Beasley didn’t like some of the backlash he got from the public. Fresh start for both I suppose

The stats speak for themselves. You should take a look. Beasley fell off a cliff (that's not to say he wasn't effective, but compared to previous seasons.. there was a stark difference). Whatever the Bills felt about him off the field, they replaced his production for about half the cost with a younger player which strikes me of much greater interest to them. 

3 hours ago, Magox said:

Personally, I think this is better because I believe Bates will be the long-term option.  But, I think in a perfect world they would have wanted to see one more years worth of production before committing to the $8m, hence the 2nd round tender.

This does not compute.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

At first I was confused as to why they didn't put him on a 2nd round tender so they could have had him for cheaper with no competition.

But now that I think about it, I wonder if this was what Beane wanted all along. He wanted Bates to sign a long term deal with another team so that he could get Bates locked up long term at what his market is now after a small sample size. As opposed to what he perceives his market will be after a full year as a starter.

5-D Chess out hereeeeeeeeeee

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

At first I was confused as to why they didn't put him on a 2nd round tender so they could have had him for cheaper with no competition.

But now that I think about it, I wonder if this was what Beane wanted all along. He wanted Bates to sign a long term deal with another team so that he could get Bates locked up long term at what his market is now after a small sample size. As opposed to what he perceives his market will be after a full year as a starter.

This is a fascinating example of fandom.

• Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Malazan said:

ok?

I posted stats. No one posts stats that include regular season and playoffs. You can do with them what you will. 

And I posted games played.    Beasley missed only one game over the past two years, including the playoffs.     Versus nine regular season games for Crowder, across two seasons.

You can do with that what you will.

Edited by Shake_My_Head

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.