Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

3 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Not sure Crowder is an upgrade, but good enough to keep the offense humming

Beasley fell off a cliff last year. Crowder should at least add a little more speed than Beasley when he is on the field.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Beasley fell off a cliff last year. Crowder should at least add a little more speed than Beasley when he is on the field.

Was crowder not the one that took a crosser about 50 yards to the house against us last year? I definitely think he adds a bit of pop there, and everything i've read said he's an absolute technician in the slot.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Was crowder not the one that took a crosser about 50 yards to the house against us last year? I definitely think he adds a bit of pop there, and everything i've read said he's an absolute technician in the slot.

Crowder's problem is that he never stays on the field, hence his availability for the Bills.

If he can remain available, he can be a huge upgrade over Beasley and relegating poor poor McKenzie to gadget duties. 😁

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why does Bates automatically (or even probably) walk next year? is he going to take personal offense at being given a tender?

As far as the misplay is concerned, I think you provided my answer: "no one is making him an offer if it costs a 2nd rounder". So, now instead of us being able to make an offer on our terms, we had to compete with the highest bidder.

Most free agents want to see what they’re worth on the open market. 

Getting to free agency is a HUGE deal for players. It’s, in most cases, their only chance to make life (generation) changing wealth. It doesn’t matter if it’s RFA of UFA… any chance to have multiple parties lobbying for your services gives them an outstanding opportunity to make more money. 

So yes, nobody is making Bates an offer at greater than $4M/year in return for a RD2 pick. Bates gladly signs his RFA tender for 1 year, starts for a Super Bowl contenders and waits to see what the market looks like next year… where he’s not inhibited at all by the RFA process. Meaning the highest bidder has the best chance. 

The point being, RFA more often than not don’t sign long term extensions with their original team after accepting the 1 year tender, because they want to reach FA. The time to get a long term deal worked out was before the RFA tender was given… after it’s given you’re most likely not inking a guy to a long term deal. 

Your point about us “not being able to make an offer on our terms” and being at the mercy of the “highest bidder” is just wrong. That opportunity was BEFORE the tender was placed. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, njbuff said:

What?      He had 82 catches, second most for a slot receiver in the league.   Yes, his YPC and TDs were down from 2020.   But that is nowhere near "dropping off a cliff" performance.

Cole_Beasley.jpg

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shake_My_Head said:

What?      He had 82 catches, second most for a slot receiver in the league.   Yes, his YPC and TDs were down from 2020.   But that is nowhere near "dropping off a cliff" performance.

Cole_Beasley.jpg

I'm talking about his game day speed that has fallen off a cliff. 

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Most free agents want to see what they’re worth on the open market. 

Getting to free agency is a HUGE deal for players. It’s, in most cases, their only chance to make life (generation) changing wealth. It doesn’t matter if it’s RFA of UFA… any chance to have multiple parties lobbying for your services gives them an outstanding opportunity to make more money. 

So yes, nobody is making Bates an offer at greater than $4M/year in return for a RD2 pick. Bates gladly signs his RFA tender for 1 year, starts for a Super Bowl contenders and waits to see what the market looks like next year… where he’s not inhibited at all by the RFA process. Meaning the highest bidder has the best chance. 

The point being, RFA more often than not don’t sign long term extensions with their original team after accepting the 1 year tender, because they want to reach FA. The time to get a long term deal worked out was before the RFA tender was given… after it’s given you’re most likely not inking a guy to a long term deal. 

Your point about us “not being able to make an offer on our terms” and being at the mercy of the “highest bidder” is just wrong. That opportunity was BEFORE the tender was placed. 

Great take and well written. To add, allowing Bates to go to market and see his value around the league let the Bills know they were making a good deal. Bates’ situation is a very unique one and I think it would have been very difficult to project his value. Now we know, and he knows, and we get to have him for 4 years for a deal the market deemed fair. 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Malazan said:

BPA isn't a thing. Most teams use something that if you describe it would be "BVA" aka Best Value Available. Drafting BPA is a bad strategy. To explain this in the extreme, the BPA could be a QB.. a QB at 25would be a massive waste on the Bills though..

Same thing if you look in the draft and you're in the 2nd round and the BPA is a player who's going to have a hard time making the team then.. well, you have better value elsewhere. It's not drafting for need, but it's a balancing act. Then you look at things like a safety... don't draft a safety in the 1st because solid productive players are available in FA every year at that position and even the cost of the elite ones don't compare to pass rushers and wide receivers.

It's more like BPAPNNGN (best player available at a position of not necessarily greatest need).  And BPA is largely subjective after the first 10-15 picks.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Why does Bates automatically (or even probably) walk next year? is he going to take personal offense at being given a tender?

As far as the misplay is concerned, I think you provided my answer: "no one is making him an offer if it costs a 2nd rounder". So, now instead of us being able to make an offer on our terms, we had to compete with the highest bidder.

When do you think we would be making that offer 'on our terms?'

Bates only has to sign the tender, if we had given him the 2nd round one, and that's it for this season.

The reasons to give him the 2nd round tender, are imho, twofold. Firstly, you want to keep the player (retrospectively obvious).

Secondly, you are protecting your 'investment' by getting a 2nd round pick should someone actually sign him to an offer sheet.

The reality being with respect to Bates, that the original round offer doesn't get you any return at all, as he was a UDFA.

Personally, I was of the opinion, that we should have tendered him at the 2nd round level, but I was more concerned about 'protecting an asset' than particularly thinking about the implications going forward. i.e. the greater potential to lose him next year when he would have become a FA.

For a starting Guard, I thought that the $3.98m was a decent deal, but with Bates, you get the added value of being able to play any position along the line, something that very few seemed to be thinking added any real weight to his value.

As things have turned out, Beane looks like he's pulled a masterstroke, assuming Bates continues to play well. 4 years at £4.25m average, is, imho, terrific value for a guy as versatile as Bates, who will be a starter as well.

It also represents additional value going forward, because if Saffold is 'one and done', then we have a ready made replacement at LG.

I wanted us to retain Bates all along, but the way in which it has panned out, is far better for us long term.

Essentially, I was wrong about the 2nd Round tender being the right move, and Beane deserves a good deal of Kudos for having the cohones to see this through (by only putting the lowest tender on him).

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

29 minutes ago, njbuff said:

16 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

Cole_Beasley.jpg

19 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Crowder's problem is that he never stays on the field, hence his availability for the Bills.

If he can remain available, he can be a huge upgrade over Beasley and relegating poor poor McKenzie to gadget duties. 😁

Best Season: 

Crowder (2019) - Catches: 78, Yards: 833, Yard/Rec: 10.7, TDs: 6, Catch: 63.9%, YAC: 365

Beasley (2020) - Catches: 82, Yards: 967, Yard/Rec: 11.8, TDs: 4, Catch: 76.6%, YAC: 354

Last Season: 

Crowder (7 Games) - Catches: 51, Yards: 447, Yard/Rec: 8.8, TDs: 2, Catch: 71.8%, YAC: 327

Beasley (16 games) - Catches: 82, Yards: 693, Yard/Rec: 8.5, TDs: 1, Catch: 73.2%, YAC: 305

Career:

Crowder (28 years old / 96 games / 18 games lost to injury) - Catches: 409, Yard/Rec: 11.3, TDs: 29, Catch: 66.9%, YAC: 1895

Beaseley )32 years old / 149 games / 2 games lost to injury) - Catches: 550, Yard/Rec: 10.4, TDs: 34, Catch: 71%, YAC:  2446

Edited by Malazan

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Best Season: 

Crowder (2019) - Catches: 78, Yards: 833, Yard/Rec: 10.7, TDs: 6, Catch: 63.9%, YAC: 365

Beasley (2020) - Catches: 82, Yards: 967, Yard/Rec: 11.8, TDs: 4, Catch: 76.6%, YAC: 354

Last Season: 

Crowder (7 Games) - Catches: 51, Yards: 447, Yard/Rec: 8.8, TDs: 2, Catch: 71.8%, YAC: 327

Beasley (16 games) - Catches: 82, Yards: 693, Yard/Rec: 8.5, TDs: 1, Catch: 73.2%, YAC: 305

Career:

Crowder (28 years old / 96 games) - Catches: 409, Yard/Rec: 11.3, TDs: 29, Catch: 66.9%, YAC: 1895

Beaseley )32 years old / 149 games) - Catches: 550, Yard/Rec: 10.4, TDs: 34, Catch: 71%, YAC:  2446

Actually Crowder's best season was in 2016 (67, 847, 12.6, 7, 67.7%, don't know).  And it was better than Beasley's best season prior to joining the Bills.  The question is staying healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Best Season: 

Last Season: 

Career:

Crowder (28 years old / 96 games) - Catches: 409, Yard/Rec: 11.3, TDs: 29, Catch: 66.9%, YAC: 1895

Beaseley )32 years old / 149 games) - Catches: 550, Yard/Rec: 10.4, TDs: 34, Catch: 71%, YAC:  2446

What was Cole's best season prior to playing with Josh Allen?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.