Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

Question for the contract/capologists:

There's been a lot of talk about the Bears drawing up a contract with a poison pill with a huge up front number. I guess the idea would be a very high first year salary. (Since any other kind of guaranteed money would be prorated across the contract.) But I feel like I remember reading that NFLPA agreement prohibits a drastic salary cut from one year to the next within the same contract. Don't remember what the number was. And I could be wrong, because I think I read that a few years ago. But if my memory is correct, that means you can't pay a guy $10,000,000 one year and $500,000 the next (in salary).

If that's true, the Bears really couldn't have artificially jacked the front end of the contract up too much. Does anyone else remember this rule or know about it? Or am I just mistaken?

BTW, clearly there is no rule against large increases in yearly salary within the same contract - Watson is supposedly getting only $1,000,000 in salary his first year in Cleveland so any suspension won't hurt him financially (which is pretty effed up in my opinion).

I find this very peculiar.

Beane did not tender him with a 2nd round designation that would have given abates $3.9 million and would have provided the Bills with a 2nd round pick if he was signed elsewhere.

But Beane was willing to give him a 4 year deal with an average of more than $4 million per season.

I must be missing something.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a terrible way to look at the cap impact.  First year cap hits can always be minimized.  They neglect to mention that Williams and Feliciano now have $5.1M in dead cap this year and Saffold will have $2M in dead cap next year.  They turned Williams and Feliciano’s cap hit total of $14M into a total cap hit of $13.5M (est) this year plus $2M next year to make the swap. I’ll be happy with the swap if we upgraded, but pretending that we just improved our cap is ridiculous. 

• Disagree 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Beane did not tender him with a 2nd round designation that would have given abates $3.9 million and would have provided the Bills with a 2nd round pick if he was signed elsewhere.

But Beane was willing to give him a 4 year deal with an average of more than $4 million per season.

You actually think the Bears would of gave up a 2nd round pick? lol

3 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Which combo is better:

A) LG Saffold, RG Bates

or

B) LG Bates, RG Saffold

This has yet to be answered.

I'm guessing A)

Usually, the better run-blocking G plays LG and the better pass-blocking G plays RG, as the RG handles more 1-on-1 pass-blocking assignments than the LG, as the line slides left to protect the QB's blindside. At this point in their careers, Ryan Bates is probably a better pure 1-on-1 pass-protector than Saffold.

Saffold will play LG

If and it’s a big IF he is a good starter, this was great, if he’s not, the Bears got us.  I always worry about handing a big deal to a guy who was buried on the depth chart, then suddenly looks good for a short stretch.  If he plays as well as he did down the stretch it’s a great deal for the Bills.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

You actually think the Bears would of gave up a 2nd round pick? lol

I never said that or intimated that. 

I simply said Beane chose not to tender him for what would have been a slightly lower amount, and would have provided additional protection (via a 2nd round pick).

17 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Which combo is better:

A) LG Saffold, RG Bates

or

B) LG Bates, RG Saffold

This has yet to be answered.

I'm guessing A)

Usually, the better run-blocking G plays LG and the better pass-blocking G plays RG, as the RG handles more 1-on-1 pass-blocking assignments than the LG, as the line slides left to protect the QB's blindside. At this point in their careers, Ryan Bates is probably a better pure 1-on-1 pass-protector than Saffold, while Saffold remains one of the league's best run-blocking guards.

Yeah I wrote about this the other day. I think Bates is a great fit at RG. You also have an extremely athletic right side.  In Bates’ world he may feel more comfortable on the left as a former LT, but I think he plays the right. I don’t think he cares. I think he just wants to start. 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Just now, Einstein said:

I never said that or intimated that. 

I simply said Beane chose not to tender him for what would have been a slightly lower amount, and would have provided additional protection (via a 2nd round pick).

Beane frequently says, you don't know what the market will be for the player until it starts.. too many factors. If he had tendered him at a 2nd round.. he was negotiating against himself. He's also telling the rest of the NFL what he values Bates at.. 

Now the NFL has told him.. exactly what the market for Bates is... The risk of someone giving Bates a crazy deal (and to be clear I think the Bears deal is on the high end) that they wouldn't match was low. Beane got the player, he doesn't have negotiate a new deal with him and got information on how other teams in the league are valuing players. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Motor26 said:

IF by some miracle Penning is there at 25 do you draft him still? 

I really don’t think so, unless ypu think he’s significantly better than Brown. You can’t take him there if he is coming to sit the bench. It’s gonna be a corner. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.