Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

13 minutes ago, finn said:

What would the Bills be paying him if they had offered him a second-round tender? Just wondering if that was just a flat-out mistake not to. 

About 3.9 million - maybe 0.5 million less, but then he would be a FA next year and would have a full year of tape in Kromers system.

A 2nd round tender would have been the absolute stupidest thing for the Bills to do.  

There was never a reason to use the 2nd round tender - long term that was always going to be the costliest decision.

The ideal would of been to get a long term deal done before tendering him, but there was no reason for the Bates camp to do that.

The next best option was exactly what Beane did - it was textbook for handling the situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Glad we kept him.  Prefer we keep our own guys than shop for guys that may not be as good.  

I wonder why the Bears didn’t front load the contract more?  Seems another 1 to 1.5 million this year may have tipped the scales to the Bears.  Glad it worked out for us though.

Just wanted to point out that the Bills have really transitioned to a highly athletic offensive line this offseason. Every guy in the starting five posted good to great RAS scores. Dawkins was the lowest at 7.63. The rest, if I'm not mistaken, all posted 9+.

Saffold is a former tackle and moves like it. Morse is one of the better and more mobile pass blocking centers in the league. Bates is a former tackle and moves like it. Spencer Brown is an athletic freak. 

Whether the Bills lean fully into the zone blocking scheme or continue with some of the pin-and-pull stuff they got into late last year, look for them to take full advantage of the elite athleticism of their offensive line this year.

Almost makes you wonder if they're thinking of pairing a speedy new running back with this retooled, athletic line in order to take fuller advantage of its talents...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Magox said:

Maybe, maybe not.

There was a lot of hand-wringing over Beane not tendering Bates at the 2nd round, $3.986M level.  He tenders him at that, it's a 1-year deal and the Bills go through this all over again next year, likely losing him because they can't tender/match.  For about $250K more a year (than the 2nd round tender) and $1M more total, he got him locked-up for 3 additional years.  He played this perfectly.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

7-8M is pretty nuts for a guy like Bates. He’s started 5 games and didn’t grade out very well.

Since it's being reported as $8.8M total guaranteed for a 4 year deal, I think it's safe to say that it's not $7-8M this season.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

So how bad does the decision to not put a second round tender on Bates seem now?  Curious if folks think this 4 year contract at 17M is a better outcome than that. 

So let's walk through this.  Can we call the 2nd round tender at $3.98M a $4M contract for 1 year?

1) Bills give Bates 1 year, 2nd round tender.  Bates makes $4M this year.  If he plays and plays well, next year he goes out and gets PAID

2) Bills give Bates right of first refusal tender (lowest - lower than original round).  Bates goes out and negotiates 4 year contract for $4.25M/yr. 

If he plays and plays well, Bills have him locked up for 3 more years at a very reasonable price.

Which is better, over the long term? 

Course, we have to see the details yet.  But it wouldn't surprise me if Beane has kept our cap space small to snooker Da Bears into thinking they didn't have to go very high before we'd fold and not match.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

There was a lot of hand-wringing over Beane not tendering Bates at the 2nd round, $3.986M level.  He tenders him at that, it's a 1-year deal and the Bills go through this all over again next year, likely losing him because they can't tender/match.  For about $250K more a year (than the 2nd round tender) and $1M more total, he got him locked-up for 3 additional years.  He played this perfectly.

As I said all along.. Beane loves to let other teams do the work for him. Beane absolutely knows what Bates market value is now.. 

• Like (+1) 1

Good move to keep Bates in the fold, at worst He is an ok starter and great depth and tremendous versatility. The cost isn’t too bad either. Love keeping more players in house. My dream ending to the off season would be to resign D Williams for depth along the Oline and a veteran corner then hit CB at pick 25 and just go BPA the rest of the way.

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I think it will end up being better because I believe that abates will be the long-term answer but I also believe that Beane would have liked to have seen him play more before committing to this sort of contract.

Both things can be true at the same time.

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

Just wanted to point out that the Bills have really transitioned to a highly athletic offensive line this offseason. Every guy in the starting five posted good to great RAS scores. Dawkins was the lowest at 7.63. The rest, if I'm not mistaken, all posted 9+.

Saffold is a former tackle and moves like it. Morse is one of the better and more mobile pass blocking centers in the league. Bates is a former tackle and moves like it. Spencer Brown is an athletic freak. 

Whether the Bills lean fully into the zone blocking scheme or continue with some of the pin-and-pull stuff they got into late last year, look for them to take full advantage of the elite athleticism of their offensive line this year.

Almost makes you wonder if they're thinking of pairing a speedy new running back with this retooled, athletic line in order to take fuller advantage of its talents...

Thank God. Goodbye Bobby Johnson. That guy has held some of these guys back. I have enjoyed bursting the bubble of my Giant friends who are excited about him and Feliciano. 

And just to add, having a line with 4 former left tackles starting is a great way to do business when u have a star QB and want to throw a lot. And it would be five. The only reason Brown is a RT is because Trevor Penning. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

So we have...

Dawkins - Saffold - Morse - ? - Brown

And the question mark could be Ford, Bates, or Boettger?

I'm guessing the plan is for Bates to replace Saffold next year.

I agree, and think OL is still in play at 25 if it's the BPA and the Rd.1 CBs and WRs are gone.  Having a solid line with some continuity would be a huge upgrade for the offense.   

26 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Final grades on this situation will be pending the contract details, but I have to say it looks like a minor mistake on Beane's part to not go for the 2nd rd tender. 

I thought the 2nd round tender made sense, but I don’t pretend to really understand this stuff, or care enough to try. I trust in Beane, but sometimes you roll the dice and it doesn’t go the way you hoped. If it was a mistake, I’m not sure where it stands on a scale of 1-10. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.