Bills match Bears Offer Sheet for Ryan Bates, 4 yr deal

nato7412

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Isn’t this the opposite to “kick the can”?

They are paying him now.. not later..

Not a 100 percent sure though as it’s a saying I don’t hear where I am from…

Not on him - you restructure others to move more of their money down the road and use that to pay him now.

Then in 2 years - he is a nice bargain as a starting guard and his cost is lower.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Not on him - you restructure others to move more of their money down the road and use that to pay him now.

Then in 2 years - he is a nice bargain as a starting guard and his cost is lower.

oh ok.. I see…

Thanks for clarifying,,

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes.  

And there's something I keep thinking about that I think people don't see.  Beane professes to be, and I believe he is, strictly BPA in the first round.  He will take the BPA on his board, every time, in the first round.   However, that doesn't mean that he isn't thinking need.   Need is what causes him to trade picks.   If the BPA at his first-round pick is seriously someone he doesn't need, he won't take the BPA, and he won't take someone else.   He'll trade out of that pick.  

So, what I said about corner applies equally to WR.   I think what we'll see is Beane trade up in the first round to a place where the BPA also happens to be a position of need.  That is, he'll trade up for a corner or a receiver.   Maybe 25 to 20.   Trade a third or a fourth with the first to move up.  If he does that, we're all going to bed happy on the first night of the draft, because there's going to be a stud receiver or corner joining the team.  

One of the reasons he'll do this is that there aren't going to be many rookies making this team, so trading a pick or two is a smart move - why save a pick that will be used on a guy who's going to get cut instead of trading that pick to make it possible to move up for a player you want?   Also, of course, if you trade up, you help you cap situation, because it also means your likely to have fewer rookies eating cap.  

The door has swung wide open to continue hoarding DL. Maybe the broken kid from UM will be the pick.

1 minute ago, Magox said:

I think he miscalculated.  If he were to do it all over again he would have given him the 2nd round tender.  

That’s only for 1 year… a 4+ mill cap hit - not a wise move 

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

So how bad does the decision to not put a second round tender on Bates seem now?  Curious if folks think this 4 year contract at 17M is a better outcome than that. 

I think it’s obviously a better deal. Will wait to see the AAV but why would you use the 2nd round tender in this case 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

That may be, but if as was discussed the AAV is still around 4 million over 4 years you are talking 3 later years at less than 3 million per. 

Therefore you kick the can this year and get a great deal in years 2, 3, and 4 on him.

Beane had an AAV in mind and the way the Bears structure it has minimal impact if the AAV is in the acceptable range.

Teams no longer have the ability to truly poison pill a contract - teams have found ways to move money around with great effect.

They used to add contract statements making him the highest paid Lineman to discourage matching, but when the NFL blocked that and made the rule matching dollars - it has become easier to match these contracts.

Yes but the Bills are tight this year. And they have to match the exact offer of the Bears not just the AAV. It now appears the $8.8m number is the first two years though. That makes it less poison pill.

1 minute ago, WotAGuy said:

So how bad does the decision to not put a second round tender on Bates seem now?  Curious if folks think this 4 year contract at 17M is a better outcome than that. 

Well considering a team thought he was worth a little over $4M this year and we believe he’s an ascending player… who is to say he doesn’t get more money on the open market next season if he plays the way we believe he will?

It’s funny that so many people are struggling to grasp exactly what happened here with Bates. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

At first I was confused as to why they didn't put him on a 2nd round tender so they could have had him for cheaper with no competition.

But now that I think about it, I wonder if this was what Beane wanted all along. He wanted Bates to sign a long term deal with another team so that he could get Bates locked up long term at what his market is now after a small sample size. As opposed to what he perceives his market will be after a full year as a starter.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

But now that I think about it, I wonder if this was what Beane wanted all along. He wanted Bates to sign a long term deal with another team so that he could get Bates locked up long term at what his market is now after a small sample size. As opposed to what he perceives his market will be after a full year as a starter.

Your critical thinking skills are MUCH appreciated! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Buftex said:

I wonder, did Beane overplay his hand with Bates at all?  He probably could have offered him less, and he would have been happy to sign a contract, knowing that he was was returning. But he let Bates go out and find another team to draw up a contract for him.  It looks as though the Bears structured a deal they didn't think the Bills would match.  Glad he is back, but wondering if this is one of those few times where Beane got a little too cocky.

Definitely not. If they give him the 2nd round tender he signs it and he has a great year, now he’s a free agent next year at 26 years old and getting paid. This was the only way to get this type of deal done. He was playing with fire, but now we have a guy locked up with huge upside entering his prime. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s only for 1 year… a 4+ mill cap hit - not a wise move 

I think it’s obviously a better deal. Will wait to see the AAV but why would you use the 2nd round tender in this case 

Personally, I think this is better because I believe Bates will be the long-term option.  But, I think in a perfect world they would have wanted to see one more years worth of production before committing to the $8m, hence the 2nd round tender.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is really a weird logic. It's not like Beane haven't signed Williams and Feliciano at the first place.

This is not a knock on Beane. Just saying that if he is a wizard now for this he is less of a wizard for what he had done in 2021.

I'll eat my socks if I used correct English tenses in previous sentences btw :)

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.