Bills Sign Ike Boettger

aristocrat

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Will Hernandez is terrible.  Not an NFL caliber player.  Kyler will be running for his life, more then he already has.

Would love to know what the Bears offer is.

I like Hernandez more than most, but my point was that his signing may have been a sign that the Bates thing was coming to a conclusion. 🤷‍♂️

57 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

We will probably take either a OT or a OG in the draft at some point even with the signings.....but our starters appear to be set which is a good thing.

Now....address corner please

I agree …maybe they will take both..

I think Bates is the only OG signed past 2022… 

I would draft an OL, CB, S and WR each year …even if you are set at any of those positions, try and find the next Diggs or Hyde late Day 3 where these guys were picked …

Edited by Aussie Joe

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i wish I could say that this was a bad prediction, but I have made far worse. 

I could start a thread about the dumbest things I’ve ever said or done, but I’m afraid I would break the internet. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Now this is a bit of a headscratcher.

And even if we would have lost Bates it doesn't make much sense to sign a guy that likely isn't even going to play in 2022 unless it's strictly under the agreement that if he's not healthy before the season starts he'll get cut without any penalty to the Bills.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

With Boettger back and Greg Mancz signing it definitely could mean Bates is gone. I'd welcome bringing in another veteran OG/T to compete for the RG spot (as expected Stafford to be our LG). 

We'll find out tomorrow, I have a feeling it's going to be in the $3-$3.5 milion range.

Boettger injured his Achilles in game 16 this past season.  He's probably not going to be available at the start of the season, and if he is, the Bills can't count on him being very effective.  I think, if the Bills don't trust Cody Ford, they might want a little more quality competition at the guard position. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I suspect he ends camp on IR, it would be best for him and the Bills that they see how he is doing in camp and then “red shirt” his recovery with the teams doctors and trainers. But if he is somehow responding well he adds some depth to the Oline that badly needs it.

He could go IR in camp or more likely in my mind he starts on PUP where he still has a chance to get activated if the recovery looks ok and we have a need.  That would give him potentially 6-11 weeks I believe to get activated - before moving to IR.

Plus on PUP - even though he doesn’t count as a roster player - I believe he can attend meetings and rehab - so he can learn the Kromer system if he wants to come back later.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Now this is a bit of a headscratcher.

And even if we would have lost Bates it doesn't make much sense to sign a guy that likely isn't even going to play in 2022 unless it's strictly under the agreement that if he's not healthy before the season starts he'll get cut without any penalty to the Bills.

When a depth player gets significantly hurt with a team - that team will generally re-sign them so that they can have access to coaches, doctors , S&C and facilities they otherwise wouldn’t have access to.

It’s just the right thing to do.

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I am not as high on Ike as some others.....but he isnt horrible he to me is exactly what a backup OL is supposed to look like on a good team

That was more or less my reaction. I like Ike as a backup but as a starter he was pretty meh. You could certainly do a lot worse. They spent a lot of time developing Ike so I’m not surprised they brought him back. 

Super psyched to see Bates got retained. I think he played really well down the stretch. I still wonder why it took them so long to get him in the starting lineup. Maybe they saw him strictly as Morse’s backup or they felt like he wasn’t showing it in practice, who knows. I think eventually he takes over as the starting center. 

18 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

This looks like a 'doing right by one of your guys' moves

not so much a quality roster signing because of the Achilles and how he played last year

Maybe this is good optics to lure future FA not named J.D. McKissic?

No, nothing to do with that. He's good line depth. Signing a backup OL is not going to make any difference in FAs coming to Buffalo

Edited by nucci

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.