New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

1 hour ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

You realize Ralph Wilson was a AFL champion back to back in years 4 and 5 from a start up Buffalo Bills franchise in 1964 and 1965. Also Ralph Wilson protected the Buffalo community more he had a little bit more of a heart compared to Terry Pegula. When has Terry Pegula had a press conference about the new Buffalo Bills stadium? If he believes the new Bills stadium is so wonderful why is he hiding behind lawyers? Look at the Kansas City Royals stadium that opened in 1973. The Kansas City Royals owner was talking about the new Royals stadium with pride it’s on YouTube 1972 and 1973 Kansas City Royals highlight film. Where is Terry Pegula not his lawyers and public relations where is Terry Pegula? He needs to own this new Bills stadium be accountable put your name on it pose for pictures answer the questions directly from the Buffalo media why this or why that in his own words. Not the Buffalo Bills public relations people Terry Pegula that is least he can do for $850 million dollars. Ralph Wilson was a man remember that he didn’t hide from anyone. Same with Seymour and Norty Knox they were men that spoke for themselves not hiding behind a team of lawyers and public relations people. Love him or hate him Ralph Wilson was a man who spoke for himself. Ralph Wilson at least gave interviews with the local media explaining the Bills ownership side. Terry Pegula never faces the music or ever takes any accountability for anything with the Buffalo Bills or the Buffalo Sabres which is sad in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Yes.  I realize that and it's why he's in the Hall of Fame.  It was a joke.  I'll give him a mulligan on the horrendous Toronto Series because he was pushing 90 at the time.  Which, by the way, the guy you despise put an end to right away when he bought the team.  Also, what music does Pegula have to face?  I'm not even sure what you're arguing.  Is this a Bon Jovi burner account?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

The Buffalo Bills would have been better off renovating the upper deck removing a lot the seats to create the artificial Bills ticket demand with less seats. Highmark Stadium dome it, technology it and building around Highmark Stadium like the Green Bay Packers would have been better money spent because then Bills fans get the dome Highmark Stadium should have had 50 years ago with things built around the stadium so it doesn’t look so E-I-E-I-O. Keep the turf but switch back to the red end zones and the Bills helmet at the 50 yard line but staying at Highmark Stadium would have been a better option choice than this because we are paying mostly for the high steel cost and high labor costs today. Your still spending the same money but getting more with a renovation. The Buffalo fan with a renovation of Highmark Stadium would then have the money for a dome and the stuff built around Highmark Stadium that Bills fans aren’t getting with this new Bills stadium just a modern stadium structure of the same as Highmark Stadium. I think that is why a lot of the disappointment among Buffalo fans we aren’t getting Green Bay Packers Land. Buffalo fans are getting a cheaper vision of Dallas Cowboys Jerry Jones world which sounds awful actually in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

lol. Okay man. Those are, uh, ideas.

”Yeah just take the existing 50 year old decrepit stadium and dome it and technology it.

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

You realize Ralph Wilson was a AFL champion back to back in years 4 and 5 from a start up Buffalo Bills franchise in 1964 and 1965. Also Ralph Wilson protected the Buffalo community more he had a little bit more of a heart compared to Terry Pegula. When has Terry Pegula had a press conference about the new Buffalo Bills stadium? If he believes the new Bills stadium is so wonderful why is he hiding behind lawyers? Look at the Kansas City Royals stadium that opened in 1973. The Kansas City Royals owner was talking about the new Royals stadium with pride it’s on YouTube 1972 and 1973 Kansas City Royals highlight film. Where is Terry Pegula not his lawyers and public relations where is Terry Pegula? He needs to own this new Bills stadium be accountable put your name on it pose for pictures answer the questions directly from the Buffalo media why this or why that in his own words. Not the Buffalo Bills public relations people Terry Pegula that is least he can do for $850 million dollars. Ralph Wilson was a man remember that he didn’t hide from anyone. Same with Seymour and Norty Knox they were men that spoke for themselves not hiding behind a team of lawyers and public relations people. Love him or hate him Ralph Wilson was a man who spoke for himself. Ralph Wilson at least gave interviews with the local media explaining the Bills ownership side. Terry Pegula never faces the music or ever takes any accountability for anything with the Buffalo Bills or the Buffalo Sabres which is sad in my opinion. Go Bills! Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You’ve obviously never seen a Terry P. interview before. The family has been occupied for the last almost year with Kim’s condition following the cardiac event. She was the public face to the franchise and if she were able would have been doing a presser / presentation / etc. They have seemingly hired someone to do her former job and Ron R. seems to be the point person for stadium issues.

Terry belongs on the background. You don’t want him at a microphone.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, eball said:

I think my favorite part of the deal might be the requirement for a public transportation hub within walking distance of the new digs.

I do think it's a good idea but can only imagine how quickly that will go downhill when fans are drunk of their asses and leave the game.  Those things are gonna get disgusting pretty quick.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

That is fine I have been called worse and I don’t care because I am old. Old people like myself don’t care. Oh boy some Buffalo fan said I had a clown post how am I going to pick up the pieces. The nice thing is we will see if I have a clown posts. The Buffalo fans will be the judge when they see the potential problems with grass in Buffalo in December and January games how natural grass is in the new Bills stadium. Again this city isn’t getting a MLS soccer team so I don’t understand the grass part of the new Bills stadium that PSE is insisting on. Grass is very expensive to maintain ask UB Bulls football whose season ends end of November got rid of grass and I never missed it as a fan. The turf today is really good the grass our climate struggles with it. I wonder if the Buffalo Bisons should have grass anymore with the longer IL season into September now. Especially if you are going to have other events I don’t get the grass it’s costly in our climate in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Do you drink? No? START!

• Haha (+1) 1

In case anyone is wondering, the costs of a natural grass field and an artificial field are relatively comparable. The former has way more ongoing maintenance while the latter has a much higher initial installation cost. The payback period on that initial investment  is generally in the seven to ten year range. That cost is relevant at the high school level but is more or less chump change at the major college or NFL level. Conclusion….cost is NOT a factor on the selection of the field surface in an NFL stadium. Playability and versatility are. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

5 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

lol. Okay man. Those are, uh, ideas.

”Yeah just take the existing 50 year old decrepit stadium and dome it and technology it.

I think you nailed it @JoPoy88  at first I was going to comment but I am not sure I have it in me. Sounds like a 10 year hoped in his dads laptop for the first time. I’m pretty sure he’s just trolling now at this point. 

I will say this though, Terry has been silent about everything in this process. I get that he’s got things going on. I get that Kim was the point person in things like this. But man, his own daughter is out there living her life, playing tennis. Being her self. Terry can clearly answer some things about this whole process. But he won’t. It was Kim that really did it all. Terry just wrote the checks. He’s pretty clueless on this stuff. Honestly, we’re probably better off this way. But the fact remains that HE IS the owner of a multi billion dollar NFL franchise and his team is getting a 1.5B+ stadium being built for them. He should be available for questions. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

I think my favorite part of the deal might be the requirement for a public transportation hub within walking distance of the new digs.

Fwiw, could have had that easily if it was downtown. At the Perry St project site you would have been about 50 ft from the 190 going both north and south easily. And about a 1/2 mile from  the subway. Which actually goes almost nowhere. But if you’re spending over 1B to build the stadium, another 1B adding a few subway stops would have made sense. At least over the years if not all at once. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, mrags said:

Fwiw, could have had that easily if it was downtown. At the Perry St project site you would have been about 50 ft from the 190 going both north and south easily. And about a 1/2 mile from  the subway. Which actually goes almost nowhere. But if you’re spending over 1B to build the stadium, another 1B adding a few subway stops would have made sense. At least over the years if not all at once. 

Are people really going to continue to cling to this?  It's over, man.  The deal is done.  We're going to have a sweet new stadium in a few years, and the Bills are here to stay.

There's really nothing to complain about, IMO, aside from the realization it's going to cost you more to attend games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, eball said:

Are people really going to continue to cling to this?  It's over, man.  The deal is done.  We're going to have a sweet new stadium in a few years, and the Bills are here to stay.

There's really nothing to complain about, IMO, aside from the realization it's going to cost you more to attend games.

Yeah. It’s still a mistake. I get your point. But what transportation hub do you really foresee them building in OP and what good does it have other than 10-12 days a year for Bills games and a few concerts? 

yes I know the deal is done. Nothing is going to change it. Fwiw, Sounds like your as salty about people still bringing it up as I am about it actually happening. 

4 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

It was a really bad deal for the state of NY and the local area

Once Kathy Hochul (A WNY girl and lifelong Bills fan) took over for Cuomo than that was the day the Bills future in WNY became secure. She was never going to let them leave on her watch. She was going to make sure the Bills got past any political BS/red tape to get this deal done. The same thing happened to the Islanders with UBS Arena. They got Cuomo on board with the deal, and he made sure the Isles got their new arena. Fans/taxpayers will pay more but the Bills will be in WNY for a long time.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Once Kathy Hochul (A WNY girl and lifelong Bills fan) took over for Cuomo than that was the day the Bills future in WNY became secure. She was never going to let them leave on her watch. She was going to make sure the Bills got past any political BS/red tape to get this deal done. The same thing happened to the Islanders with UBS Arena. They got Cuomo on board with the deal, and he made sure the Isles got their new arena. Fans/taxpayers will pay more but the Bills will be in WNY for a long time.

100%

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Terry just wrote the checks. He’s pretty clueless on this stuff. Honestly, we’re probably better off this way. But the fact remains that HE IS the owner of a multi billion dollar NFL franchise and his team is getting a 1.5B+ stadium being built for them. He should be available for questions. 

Terry was beyond bad at public speaking 12 years ago when he bought the Sabres.  I can only imagine what he’s like now.

36 minutes ago, eball said:

I hate hate hate the whole argument of just being happy the Bills are staying. Bleh. The whole mentality of just happy to be here is disgusting. This was the chance for Buffalo to create a state of the art stadium and show they belong in the NFL. Instead they went for the cheapest stadium they could build. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, RiotAct said:

Terry was beyond bad at public speaking 12 years ago when he bought the Sabres.  I can only imagine what he’s like now.

Sad Happy Hour GIF

pretty much would look like this. 

1 minute ago, Jrb1979 said:

I hate hate hate the whole argument of just being happy the Bills are staying. Bleh. The whole mentality of just happy to be here is disgusting. This was the chance for Buffalo to create a state of the art stadium and show they belong in the NFL. Instead they went for the cheapest stadium they could build. 

Easy there. Don’t you know that people are sick of hearing your disapproval but somehow think their opinion is more important on the matter. 

• Eyeroll 1

30 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Per Forbes the Bills are now ranked #29 in the NFL with a value of 3.4 billion. So, the new stadium has increased their value. It was never going to be like the stadiums in LA, Vegas, or Dallas but as long as they can win a Super Bowl and hopefully more than one then I really won't care how good the new stadium looks. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Per Forbes the Bills are now ranked #29 in the NFL with a value of 3.4 billion. So, the new stadium has increased their value. It was never going to be like the stadiums in LA, Vegas, or Dallas but as long as they can win a Super Bowl and hopefully more than one then I really won't care how good the new stadium looks. 

That may be correct. They could play on a high school football field for all most of us care. That’s not the point. The point is they WERE building a new stadium anyway. No good comes from the one they are building other than “keeping the Bills in WNY” and that’s a lame excuse for a new stadium. Like JRB said. They had plenty of opportunities to really create something fun and exciting and they failed. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, mrags said:

That may be correct. They could play on a high school football field for all most of us care. That’s not the point. The point is they WERE building a new stadium anyway. No good comes from the one they are building other than “keeping the Bills in WNY” and that’s a lame excuse for a new stadium. Like JRB said. They had plenty of opportunities to really create something fun and exciting and they failed. 

How about you let them build it first, and then offer your opinion? You just might be pleasantly surprised! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2