New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's about the dollars, not the perCENTS

Exactly.  They walk away from a billion+ dollar monument, awaiting demolition.

While true... things cost way more to build now then they did just a few years ago...

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I’m sure the NFL would love to have a team in Toronto given they’re the fourth largest city population wise in North America.  LA isn’t exactly a football city but the market is so big they put two teams there.  

It would have happened by now.  It hasn't because it's Bills' territory.

14 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I’m sure the NFL would love to have a team in Toronto given they’re the fourth largest city population wise in North America.  LA isn’t exactly a football city but the market is so big they put two teams there.  

5 hours ago, Doc said:

It would have happened by now.  It hasn't because it's Bills' territory.

Not only is Toronto in Bill’s territory, but Canada has a law protecting the CFL that enacts penalties and prevents any local, public funding of stadium builds, tax breaks, or other subsidies to anyone operating a franchise connected to a foreign based league or team.

In 1974 - Canada enacted legislation to block the NFL from expanding North and that has been used over and over to keep NFL teams from looking North.  

When Rogers was looking at purchasing the Bills after Ralph’s death - this was a major sticking block to moving the team to Toronto.  Rogers was trying to get the law changed because the Rogers Center was not adequate for permanent NFL and he wanted/needed help securing additional land and building a new stadium.  He was shut out of public funds to build and tax incentives to secure the land and build were also threatened.  The CFL and the Argos were also asking the government to impose addition fees on work unless it was for a new stadium exclusive to the Argonauts.  

That was part of the reason when it first came up - that the Toronto ownership group was going to “play out” the rest of the lease - they needed the law redacted or they could not financially put an NFL team in Toronto.  

As long as the CFL is viable and not part of the NFL - Toronto is going to be a hard place to land a franchise.  If the CFL had folded - I think Toronto and the NFL work with the Pegula’s on a deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’m sure the stadium will be great but I’m a little disappointed that the new stadium is being rushed because the current stadium is falling apart.

How is it being rushed? Won't open until 2026.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

There was pressure to get it built quickly because the stadium was falling apart. 

Sounds like if they had more time a downtown stadium was possible. 

The stadium has been falling apart for twenty years. They've been putting band-aids on ad hoc. If they wanted a downtown stadium with all the expense of infrastructure and dealing with municipal politics, they could have done so. Orchard Park was always the favorite and there are good reasons for that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

The stadium has been falling apart for twenty years. They've been putting band-aids on ad hoc. If they wanted a downtown stadium with all the expense of infrastructure and dealing with municipal politics, they could have done so. Orchard Park was always the favorite and there are good reasons for that.

Why make the deal now then? Basically they waited until they had no time. The upper deck will be unsafe in a few years. They had to get a deal done quickly. Maybe that was strategic by the Pegulas to force the public money.

• Eyeroll 2

On 4/11/2022 at 1:16 PM, BillsfaninSB said:

No, that is not it.  There was some chatter the Bills would have to play temporarily somewhere else while stadium is built.  Toronto and Penn State were thrown out there. 

I stopped in the Bills store today got my Von jersey and a cool Zubaz trucker hat,  and talked to one of the staff.

No idea if he is in the “know”.  

1.  Tearing down ECC South.  
2.  Construction won’t start this spring, but next.  Parking this year won’t be impacted, next season it will.

3.  He “heard chatter” that the Bills will need to play a season in a college stadium because of the current stadiums condition.

Believe 1&2, not 3.  I could see it being a problem for parking once the new stadium starts, but would it impact the ability to have games?  Is the current stadium really that bad that they couldn’t dump a bunch of money into it for repairs?  I’m sure the Bills would lose money holding games elsewhere and would make sense to keep our fans in the seats.

Can’t say if the dude really knows anything, or just got his info from where we all do.

1 hour ago, davefan66 said:

Is the current stadium really that bad that they couldn’t dump a bunch of money into it for repairs?  I’m sure the Bills would lose money holding games elsewhere and would make sense to keep our fans in the seats.

Can’t say if the dude really knows anything, or just got his info from where we all do.

There is no way to fix structural issues like the upper deck has without tearing it down and rebuilding. They have already put all the band aids they can safely engineer onto it. It would be a huge safety issue and liability to deal with.

They can come out and play in the Dome here in Syracuse. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

There is no way to fix structural issues like the upper deck has without tearing it down and rebuilding. They have already put all the band aids they can safely engineer onto it. It would be a huge safety issue and liability to deal with.

Penn State makes more sense.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

I don’t believe that.  If it’s the concrete that I’ve seen, fix it.  If it’s steel, add supports.  Might not look great, but could be done.

How bad is it really?  Cause I sit upper deck and it would really ruin my day if something happened during a game.

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

It would be funny if they played in a dome.

• Haha (+1) 1

There is no word of ECC South being closed. If it was close, students and staff would have to be moved to the other 2 campuses.  Not saying it won’t happen, just a lot of work behind the scenes before they ever closed the campus, and began demolition. 

33 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I don’t believe that.  If it’s the concrete that I’ve seen, fix it.  If it’s steel, add supports.  Might not look great, but could be done.

How bad is it really?  Cause I sit upper deck and it would really ruin my day if something happened during a game.

“The county study did not consider the cost of replacing the stadium’s upper deck, which is generally believed to be in need of replacement in the next five to seven year. The state study pegged the replacement cost at $96 million, a figure the county now says is understated.”

https://www.investigativepost.org/2022/03/30/stadium-rehab-costs-lower-than-advertised/

I'm guessing that any discussion about playing in another stadium for a year is more about the logistics of completing the new facility while still keeping Rich Stadium open. (I seriously doubt it has much of anything to do with it being unsafe....or they would 'red tag' the place.)  At some point the new and the old are going to have to live next door to each other, and then the old one will be torn down. That's part of what the final design studies are about. As I've mentioned a couple of times in this thread, the new Tottenham Stadium was an interesting construction feat. It was actually built in two halves so as to reduce the time that the Team had to play elsewhere. Now, the Bills site nowhere near as tight, but you'll be surprised as to how much larger the new stadium's footprint will be even with a smaller capacity. In the end, you want the new facility to be in the best location on the property. It will be there for 50+years.  Nobody's going to want to walk all the way around the new stadium just to get inside because the old stadium was in the way 50 years ago. Make sense?