New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

I'd bet that the final product will be pretty similar to this...Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. It is also designed by Populous, 62k seats, seats covered but open air, sized for soccer. End zones will probably be a little different with standing zones, more open. 

Hnet.com-image.jpg

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Tell that to the Buffalo Bills 13 and 1 all time record at home at the Ralph in the playoffs

Which always takes place in the winter

Statistically it's absolutely been an advantage to the bills

I know you like that stat but in fairness, almost all of those wins were clustered into a couple very brief periods in team history and games where they were clearly the superior team.    They haven't made the playoffs enough times and had games against SB contending opponents late in the playoffs to suffer inogminious defeats the way that Green Bay has in the Rodgers era, for instance.

And most of those Bills wins were in the early 90's which is long enough ago that intentionally excluding the home playoff losses in the 1960's in there is cherry picking.     They lost at home with a chance to play in the first SB.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The most expensive public contribution for any stadium ever--by 100 million.

Construction costs are outrageous now.  Can’t go by a raw cost.  Needs to go by a some ratio.

Should have done this 6 or 7 years ago.  Would have saved hundreds of millions. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How does it make sense to build a new stadium with LESS seats than the current stadium despite taking up 600,000 more square footage?  I mean it literally has a 66% bigger footprint than old stadium but 8000 less seats.  Especially for a team that sells out every home game regardless of weather or how good or bad the team is.

Well for one thing, we DON'T sell out every game. In fact selling tickets in December is damn hard, even with a playoff team.

8,000 less seats is almost 12% less seats than the current stadium.  That’s just gonna make tickets cost even more and harder to get.  

Fewer seats, more room to spread out.

Bills literally just made a deal to build the second smallest stadium in the NFL in terms of seating capacity.  Only Soldier field will have less seats (only 500 less seats.)

Buffalo is the smallest NFL market next to Green Bay.

This makes no sense, why have less Bills Mafia at each home game?  Best and loudest fan base in the league.

Because the trend is for more people to stay home and watch on TV.

2 hours ago, LanderPoke said:

It's amazing how these rich people don't have to pay for their stadiums

Rich people wouldn't build a stadium in WNY. There's not enough money here.

• Like (+1) 2

I went to games at SoFi and Allegiant this past year. Beautiful venues, but as a fan I felt completely disconnected from the game. Yes, it got noisy at times. But there's just sooo much extra space, and so much else to do and see on the concourses. I felt like I was watching a football game at the Mall of America. The game felt like an afterthought. Hopefully the Bills design can resemble something closer to Lambeau, Arrowhead or the new(ish) Seahawks Stadium, where the actual game remains front and center.

Edited by beebe
edit
  • Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m wondering if the standing room provides for more areas for fans to congregate temporarily during the game. So people can hang out in a group similar to tailgating. Perhaps it’s not intended to be a whole game type thing. And it may be temperature controlled during later in the season. That doesn’t seem to be too difficult to accomplish. 

Which would be cool, but that then doesnt "increase" capacity above the 62,000 thats being reported.  

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because the trend is for more people to stay home and watch on TV.

What trend is this?  Every other new stadium has been 3,000 to 18,000 more seats than this one.  A few people have said this, but there isn't any evidence of this in what other teams have planned and done.  

5 minutes ago, beebe said:

I went to games at SoFi and Allegiant this past year. Beautiful venues, but as a fan I felt completely disconnected from the game. Yes, it got noisy at times. But there's just sooo much extra space, and so much else to do and see on the concourses. I felt like I was watching a football game at the Mall of America. The game felt like an afterthought. Hopefully the Bills design can resemble something closer to Lambeau, Arrowhead or the new(ish) Seahawks Stadium, where the actual game remains front and center.

Regarding your thoughts.   This was mentioned by PSE executive Ron Raccuia when asked by Chris Brown

"We're going to build the best football stadium we possibly can for the Buffalo Bills and our fans. It will be state of the art and will have a great deal of modern amenities that we currently lack at Highmark Stadium. We do, however, want to maintain the intimacy, great sight lines and the amazing home field advantage and energy we currently have at Highmark Stadium. It will be a football specific stadium and we want to take advantage of all of the modern amenities, comfort, and technology available to us as we develop our plan with the architects."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, wiseman3 said:

I'd bet that the final product will be pretty similar to this...Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. It is also designed by Populous, 62k seats, seats covered but open air, sized for soccer. End zones will probably be a little different with standing zones, more open. 

Hnet.com-image.jpg

Haven't attended a game there but the last time we were in London we made it a point to take the train up to see the new stadium. It's super cool modern on the outside and resembles a space ship that landed in an old residential neighborhood.  There are little, brick row houses right across the street, and then you come upon this aluminum panel-clad flying saucer. In a word....WILD! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know you like that stat but in fairness, almost all of those wins were clustered into a couple very brief periods in team history and games where they were clearly the superior team.    They haven't made the playoffs enough times and had games against SB contending opponents late in the playoffs to suffer inogminious defeats the way that Green Bay has in the Rodgers era, for instance.

And most of those Bills wins were in the early 90's which is long enough ago that intentionally excluding the home playoff losses in the 1960's in there is cherry picking.     They lost at home with a chance to play in the first SB.

Josh Allen still hasn't lost at home in the playoffs

But he's lost on the road 

There's a million things that determine the outcome of a game..  but being comfortable at home is huge

And again I maintain every quarterback coming here will throw worse than Josh Allen in the winter.. that's the advantage

Josh could throw the football when other teams can't.. and it's really hard to just run the ball in the playoffs and win 1 dimensionally 

That's the whole perk about having a strong arm quarterback..  a lesser quarterback can play the game of his life in a dome.. that's not going to happen outside probably

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Our group goes to a couple games a year and then sell the rest.  Don't have the energy for any more than that, it's a long day.

Weather is not a major factor for us, but it is THE issue when you are trying to sell them.  But I think it goes beyond just the weather during the game where a dome would help.  Driving in the weather sucks, especially with stadium traffic.  And tailgating isn't as pleasant either, a major factor for many.

Fair point about driving in the weather, not something us non-locals would think about ha.  

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Okay. Now do that same add-on-neighboring-cities thing with every other NFL market. Buffalo is still near the bottom.

Also, doesn't the NFL use TV market ranking as opposed to population?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, beebe said:

I am sure the new stadium will be nice but I doubt it will have all the "bells and whistles" of those other stadiums. Buffalo is a football mad city. Fans want to tailgate before the game and then go watch the game. Having restaurants and bars in the stadium charging insane prices won't work. It doesn't work in NJ either as Jets/Giants fans prefer tailgating just like they do in Orchard Park. 

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

bad location.......should be downtown combined with a convention center

bad open air......should be retractable roof......shoveling out the snow in january playoffs will suck.....playing in bad weather is NOT an advantage

bad PSL's......only options will be expensive and extremely expensive

bad sightlines.....a soccer field is considerably WIDER......seats will be farther away

but other than that, this is great news

Ah.. but you contradict yourself.

You want a retractable roof stadium downtown with a convention center, by far the most expensive proposition possible, easily double the cost---yet you complain about the cost of PSLs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1