New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

9 minutes ago, Lost said:

Can someone explain PSLs to me?  Is it just season tickets or something else? What's the difference?

You won't like it.

But here you go: An introduction to the wonderful world of Personal Seat Licenses.

Briefly, it means you pay for the right to pay for a season ticket. But you do (usually) get the money back if you sell it PSL to someone else. If you drop your season tickets, you often forfeit the money.

Edited by Rubes

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

I'm assuming the stadium will be made to handle buffalo weather. 

Unlikely my old college campus in Rochester that was designed for Phoenix.

Undoubtably you mean RIT?  Rotate in Tightly.......81-85 was my sentence.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

Everyone has to remember that the stadium hasn’t been designed yet. It still needs to drawn, permitted, etc before they can even start construction. 

If they want it ready by 2026 I would guess the spring of 2023 is when we see shovels in the ground at the latest.

1 hour ago, billykay said:

Can the season start a week earlier ??

The NFL doesn't want to start their regular season in the poor TV ratings time of summer.........they want to wait until after Labor Day.

Makes A LOT more sense ratings wise to extend the season until the beginning of NCAA March Madness..........which is the way it's trending.

Edit- also:

-No new taxes to fund county portion.
-Use of budget surplus and money currently allocated for stadium operating costs towards costs. County will no longer pay operating costs in the future.

all things considered, this doesn’t really look that bad for Erie county.

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

You won't like it.

But here you go: An introduction to the wonderful world of Personal Seat Licenses.

Briefly, it means you pay for the right to pay for a season ticket. But you do (usually) get the money back once you drop your season tickets.

Provided that the buyer will pay your full PSL value.

If it goes like it did for MetLife, where they had PSL's from 2 fan bases, the PSL values plummeted.

The Giants had that multi-year waitlist at the time so they figured demand would hold up the values.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Greg S said:

If they want it ready by 2026 I would guess the spring of 2023 is when we see shovels in the ground at the latest.

Something like that…yes. People comparing this to Rich Stadium are not being realistic. Rich was essentially a hole in the ground that they poured concrete on top of. I’m guessing this new stadium is going to be larger and way, way more complicated to both draw and build. 

41 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

So you think a new stadium with a lager capacity would have cheap tickets?  I'm a season ticket holder, and it's a fantasy that we have no problem filling up the current stadium.  There are games that I can't give away my tickets.  With a new, expensive, stadium in this market- a lower capacity makes sense.

Ok so legit question...why are you as a season ticket holder trying to get rid of tickets?  Is the weather a big factor in which games you don't want to go to?  And when you are struggling to find takers for the tickets, is it because its a bad weather game and you cant find someone as easily to take the tickets because not as many people want to sit in the miserable weather?

I don't want to turn the thread into a debate of dome vs outdoor, the decision has already been made to be an open air stadium again.  So no value in anyone discussing what is better choice.  But, I can't help but wonder if the problems of getting rid of your tickets is more weather related than related to how many people actually want to go to the game.  

I don't live in Buffalo, never have.  But as a fan, I still get the allure of being outdoors even in the cold for a football game.  But, if a team wanted to maximize the PSL's, the year round use of the stadium, and capacity...a dome or retractable roof would have made much more financial sense...or even like what they did with SoFi with the glass roof and open air sides making it kind of a hybrid indoor/outdoor stadium.  I personally thought a stadium like Allegiant that was built for the Raiders made perfect sense for Buffalo, but thats just my non-local opinion.  

None the less, still think 65,000+ seating makes more sense for this new open air stadium.  But it is what it is...they got their deal and their plan.  Just surprised they chose to build the smallest stadium in the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean looking at that chart, it suggests the stadium should be at least 65,000 seats, if not 68,000.  

I am not saying they should build an 80,000 seat stadium or anything, I am saying building the smallest seat stadium in the NFL makes no sense IMO.  Spending all this money and time for a stadium that has the least seats in the NFL is puzzling to me.  And I know they mentioned they could do another 5,000 standing, but that sucks...who wants to stand in the bad weather for 3 hours?  Especially if you had been tail gating all morning.  Do 3,000 more seats and make the standing area 2,000 people then.  

I mean talk about terrible tickets, lets stand on concrete for 3 hours in freezing weather after we tailgated for 3 hours.  

I’m wondering if the standing room provides for more areas for fans to congregate temporarily during the game. So people can hang out in a group similar to tailgating. Perhaps it’s not intended to be a whole game type thing. And it may be temperature controlled during later in the season. That doesn’t seem to be too difficult to accomplish. 

2 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I’m wondering if the standing room provides for more areas for fans to congregate temporarily during the game. So people can hang out in a group similar to tailgating. Perhaps it’s not intended to be a whole game type thing. And it may be temperature controlled during later in the season. That doesn’t seem to be too difficult to accomplish. 

Dallas and Los Angeles both offer a standing room end zone option. It’s somewhat of a gimmick but it’s a cheap thing to provide in the end zone, and can offer some design help if you’re putting a roof over the seats.

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Ok so legit question...why are you as a season ticket holder trying to get rid of tickets?  Is the weather a big factor in which games you don't want to go to?  And when you are struggling to find takers for the tickets, is it because its a bad weather game and you cant find someone as easily to take the tickets because not as many people want to sit in the miserable weather?

I don't want to turn the thread into a debate of dome vs outdoor, the decision has already been made to be an open air stadium again.  So no value in anyone discussing what is better choice.  But, I can't help but wonder if the problems of getting rid of your tickets is more weather related than related to how many people actually want to go to the game.  

I don't live in Buffalo, never have.  But as a fan, I still get the allure of being outdoors even in the cold for a football game.  But, if a team wanted to maximize the PSL's, the year round use of the stadium, and capacity...a dome or retractable roof would have made much more financial sense...or even like what they did with SoFi with the glass roof and open air sides making it kind of a hybrid indoor/outdoor stadium.  I personally thought a stadium like Allegiant that was built for the Raiders made perfect sense for Buffalo, but thats just my non-local opinion.  

None the less, still think 65,000+ seating makes more sense for this new open air stadium.  But it is what it is...they got their deal and their plan.  Just surprised they chose to build the smallest stadium in the NFL.  

I'm not the person you quoted.. but I've been a season ticket holder and I've heard his argument for years

There's games I can't give my ticket away.. 

First, the pegulas really don't care..  that ticket was already bought from them.. they made money

Second, remember before the Patriots playoff game.. there were tons of threads here about how we can't sell a playoff game and we're going to be a laughing stock... Look how many tickets are on the market

And then 70,000 showed up

Buffalo Bills tickets are not investments.. it's not something you should buy to make money on.. because you're not going to

That doesn't mean we're not going to fill the stadium.. lowest attendance ever at the Ralph is 61,000 for a season.. with all the piss poor seasons

Edited by Buffalo716

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Our group goes to a couple games a year and then sell the rest.  Don't have the energy for any more than that, it's a long day.

Weather is not a major factor for us, but it is THE issue when you are trying to sell them.  But I think it goes beyond just the weather during the game where a dome would help.  Driving in the weather sucks, especially with stadium traffic.  And tailgating isn't as pleasant either, a major factor for many.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

Lol good luck selling 50K PSLs to an open air stadium in OP

They'll have no problem. Raccuia said they would start at $1,000 which is way less than I expected. I will assume they will stretch payments out over a few years to cushion the blow.