New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

1 minute ago, arcane said:

I think people are forgetting that we were being made fun of for how long it took us to sell tickets to that Pats game, the first full attendance playoff game in Buffalo since 1995.

Yep, and tickets were going for like $10 on the secondary market.  Less capacity is a no-brainer.   

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Rich was built in 14 months.. why the wait? theres no reason this cant be done in 2 years... 

The new stadium will all be built above ground.  Adds tremendously to cost and construction timeline.  

Only the upper deck at Ralph was above ground.  

bad location.......should be downtown combined with a convention center

bad open air......should be retractable roof......shoveling out the snow in january playoffs will suck.....playing in bad weather is NOT an advantage

bad PSL's......only options will be expensive and extremely expensive

bad sightlines.....a soccer field is considerably WIDER......seats will be farther away

but other than that, this is great news

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

It took 3 years to build MetLife right next to Giants Stadium. It was a pain in the ass with the parking those years. Both stadiums were standing which reduced the amount of parking spots. I would imagine it will be the same thing here.

took that long cause it was a domed stadium

9 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

The new stadium will all be built above ground.  Adds tremendously to cost and construction timeline.  

Only the upper deck at Ralph was above ground.  

does not matter if its above ground or not.. your still building from the ground up.

1 hour ago, Draconator said:

Oh hell yeah. I could totally see a USA vs Canada send off friendly match right before the 2026 World Cup (being dual hosted by Canada, US and Mexico.) Would be an ideal "soft" launch in May/June 2026 to work out the kinks before the Bills season

2 hours ago, Process said:

Lol good luck selling 50K PSLs to an open air stadium in OP

I’ll take your season tickets if they’re up for sale. A thousand bucks isn’t going to keep me from going to games for the rest of my life.

6 minutes ago, papazoid said:

bad open air......should be retractable roof......shoveling out the snow in january playoffs will suck.....playing in bad weather is NOT an advantage

bad sightlines.....a soccer field is considerably WIDER......seats will be farther away

tw5a5.jpg

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

How does it make sense to build a new stadium with LESS seats than the current stadium despite taking up 600,000 more square footage?  I mean it literally has a 66% bigger footprint than old stadium but 8000 less seats.  

Especially for a team that sells out every home game regardless of weather or how good or bad the team is.

8,000 less seats is almost 12% less seats than the current stadium.  That’s just gonna make tickets cost even more and harder to get.  

Bills literally just made a deal to build the second smallest stadium in the NFL in terms of seating capacity.  Only Soldier field will have less seats (only 500 less seats).

This makes no sense, why have less Bills Mafia at each home game?  Best and loudest fan base in the league.

Most stadiums these days also house restaurants etc and just aren't stadiums parse. The reason for less seats is you can justify making people buy PSLs because the ability to be in house will be even more limited etc. The NFL is about earning money and they can earn more by seeling 45k PSLs tickets with 15k tickets than just selling 70-75k tickets only. 

7 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

does not matter if its above ground or not.. your still building from the ground up.

Unless you’re underground, and the earth provides a foundation you don’t have to build. 

42 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean looking at that chart, it suggests the stadium should be at least 65,000 seats, if not 68,000.  

I am not saying they should build an 80,000 seat stadium or anything, I am saying building the smallest seat stadium in the NFL makes no sense IMO.  Spending all this money and time for a stadium that has the least seats in the NFL is puzzling to me.  And I know they mentioned they could do another 5,000 standing, but that sucks...who wants to stand in the bad weather for 3 hours?  Especially if you had been tail gating all morning.  Do 3,000 more seats and make the standing area 2,000 people then.  

I mean talk about terrible tickets, lets stand on concrete for 3 hours in freezing weather after we tailgated for 3 hours.  

I certainly understand your point, but I think we should get used to the fact that economics around the new stadium (and all new stadiums) are designed to benefit the owners of the business, not the fans.  From the owner's perspective, fewer seats than potential maximum demand, each more expensive, is a better economic model.  It benefits the team to have higher demand which restricted supply helps create.  They can make more money not selling an extra 5 or 8k tickets to the general public by restricting the supply and increasing prices.  The team gets the extra revenue (or at least a bigger %), not the ticket brokers.

The figure being thrown out there is 50,000 target for season tickets, each carrying a seat license.  That leaves only 10k seats for casual fans and demand will be very high.  The price of attending a Bills game is going way up.  Buffalo has been spared this until now, but it has been the way of things elsewhere for quite some time.

Of course the team could collapse and the models with it, but then again an extra few thousand seats are not going to help them either.  

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Rich was built in 14 months.. why the wait? theres no reason this cant be done in 2 years... 

If you've got an idea on how to cut the time on site by 50%, I think you need to get in your car and drive down to Albany for a chat. They're going to want to hear from you.

Their current people want it to take twice as long as your plan. Imagine the savings in manhours alone!

Get going!

• Haha (+1) 2

I know I sound ignorant, but it just seems insane that this stadium won't be usable until September 2026. That'd almost be like if they started a new stadium when we drafted allen, and this upcoming season it'd be opening. I just don't believe it. I think it's done before the 25 season, if not sooner. 

Just now, Steptide said:

I know I sound ignorant, but it just seems insane that this stadium won't be usable until September 2026. That'd almost be like if they started a new stadium when we drafted allen, and this upcoming season it'd be opening. I just don't believe it. I think it's done before the 25 season, if not sooner. 

You lose a lot of construction days in the winter

2 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Not being a dome will ultimately cost them if/when the team isn't doing as well

No it won't

This franchise has gone through multiple spells of terrible terrible droughts and 60,000 plus still show up

The worst season ever at the Ralph, attendance still averaged 61,000.. the new stadiums only holding 60

26 minutes ago, papazoid said:

Tell that to the Buffalo Bills 12 and 1 all time record at home at the Ralph in the playoffs

Which always takes place in the winter

Statistically it's absolutely been an advantage to the bills

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2