New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Who the hell are these people and why do they feel they should get anything when the stadium is not in Buffalo? 

Talk about leeches.

Stadium is in Erie County, and Buffalo is in Erie County,  and Erie County is a part of the funding group no? 

Edited by plenzmd1

It’s so iron clad that it is hard to describe, being that it’s clad in iron,

• Haha (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
Just now, Simon said:

It's a speculative article about if the Pegulas would sell the Bills

He was also talking about Kim’s health being in question after her daughter posted that she’s been doing well. The guy writes as if he wants the bills to leave Buffalo. I guess there’s a Mike Florio everywhere. 

On 1/17/2023 at 11:09 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

So the Bills could move if the buyer pays back the $850MM? Guess what? The Bills could move right now with a $400MM buyout .

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

investigativepost.org

Must be legit

Interesting set of donors.  Basically it is an off-main "nonprofit" (I have seen nonprofits where almost all of the money goes to those in charge and family/friends services) news alternate site which has some formerly active reporters associated with it.

Tom Toles is part of board of directors along with a couple of people I heard of who disappeared for a while.

I don't think its wrong to consider what will happen with the Bills down the line. 30 years puts Terry Pegula at 101 and his wife Kim at 83. It is concerning that the stars may align for a purchase and relocation at the perfect time when the lease is expiring but it could also be renewed/extended before then.

That said, I am not sure how this isn't the best deal for WNY. We make an investment and if they move we get our money back. The NFL/Buffalo Bills were never going to sign a "you can't ever move" contract.

Edited by What a Tuel

16 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I don't think its wrong to consider what will happen with the Bills down the line. 30 years puts Terry Pegula at 101 and his wife Kim at 83. It is concerning that the stars may align for a purchase and relocation at the perfect time when the lease is expiring but it could also be renewed/extended before then.

That said, I am not sure how this isn't the best deal for WNY. We make an investment and if they move we get our money back. The NFL/Buffalo Bills were never going to sign a "you can't ever move" contract.

Truth is Buffalo has no business economically in the NFL. (Barely in the NHL either.) Only with heavy subsidies do we get to stay. 

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Truth is Buffalo has no business economically in the NFL. (Barely in the NHL either.) Only with heavy subsidies do we get to stay. 

This is true.  Once the stadium breaks ground, we will possibly be in our safest place in 50 years (if not ever).

10-15-20 years ago, I thought it was a certainty the Bills were gone, likely for Toronto.  The league has outgrown the city/county ten fold.  

You don't want to dwell on 30 years down the line and miss the moment... but it isn't unreasonable to worry a bit.  The biggest hope would be if we can snag a few Fortune 500s to anchor downtown, the city proper hits a nice growth over a few decades and we see actual people living down there in a thriving, younger bustling city community.  It will radiate a higher median/mean income, lots of corporate dollars and investment, Catch up a bit.  Those great lakes and the climate of Buffalo may actually become a much more desirable thing in the decades to come.

Who knows, Im kind of rambling.  My main feeling is I will feel pretty great about the Bills when the new stadium has broken ground.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 2

I don't love that there seems to be some sort of holdup. For all the talk of a deal being done it isn't 100% done and that deadline keeps moving. 

Probably it's nothing to be concerned about, but it's also not "we're ready to start digging."

Also, I think it's fair at this point to wonder what really is going on with Kim Pegula, because she runs both professional sports teams in Buffalo. Obviously she deserves some degree of privacy, but she also was the person running both teams and she has been 100% absent for 6 months now. 

I think most people assumed that she (being young and seemingly healthy) would run the team for the next 30+ years with Terry more of a behind the scenes type, who (as much as we love him for saving both of our teams) the less he speaks publicly the better. 

To be totally honest, if the Bills ever moved we would probably also leave NY, which we've considered for a while now anyway. It would totally gut the psyche of this entire region. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

no business?

They made $470 in revenue with an operating margin of 83 million.  The value of the team has gone up 360% in the past 10 years. They just got a (mostly) free stadium deal.

The Bills are a very good business for the Pegulas.

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1