New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

1 minute ago, Doc said:

I figured that the PLA was already factored-into the cost.  And the Pegulas I believe are on the hook for any cost overruns.

Yep, but that doesn't negate the argument that the cost could've been lower. And decreasing the chance of overruns is exactly why the Pegulas would want the PLA. They care more about the certainty and timing of the project than they do about the dollar difference. They're going to recoup that difference anyway.

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

I figured that the PLA was already factored-into the cost.  And the Pegulas I believe are on the hook for any cost overruns.

It doesn’t work that way. Unlike what most lay people think, architects design with a budget in mind. In fact it’s written into their Contract. So if the architect knows the client has chosen a really expensive delivery model, they just design less stadium. Make sense? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It doesn’t work that way. Unlike what most lay people think, architects design with a budget in mind. In fact it’s written into their Contract. So if the architect knows the client has chosen a really expensive delivery model, they just design less stadium. Make sense? 

You would know better than I do.  Hopefully they don't cut corners.

11 hours ago, Doc said:

You would know better than I do.  Hopefully they don't cut corners.

There are corners everywhere in design. With few exceptions, no projects have unlimited budgets. The Bills Stadium already has one. The architects will make a hundred decisions every day about what can and cannot be included in the final design. It’s what we’re trained to do. As I’ve mentioned previously on here, Populous is known for producing very contemporary designs. I’m not sure how appropriate that is for suburban WNY and I’m a bit concerned that they’ll produce what we call an ‘object building’ and thus be forced to cut the functional corners that Bills fans would prefer over some iconic structure only visible by the relatively few people who attend home games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep, but that doesn't negate the argument that the cost could've been lower. And decreasing the chance of overruns is exactly why the Pegulas would want the PLA. They care more about the certainty and timing of the project than they do about the dollar difference. They're going to recoup that difference anyway.

In todays labor market, just having a consistent workforce will generate cost savings. 

16 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Having a PLA in place has zero impact on cost overruns. The two are completely unrelated. Once the design is set and permits are pulled the vast vast majority of what lay people call cost overruns are caused by unforeseen conditions (unexpected ground water, excessive rain, etc), and by the Owners changing their minds about design issues and amenities during construction. 

Lawmakers approve budget with $500 million for Titans' new stadium (msn.com)

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/16/tennessee-titans-new-stadium-conceptual-design/

According to Adam Friedman and Melissa Brown of The Tennessean, who cite documents from Govenor Bill Lee’s office, the approved $500 million will cost taxpayers $710 million over 20 years.

The remaining funds for the enclosed stadium, which is projected to cost anywhere from $1.9 to $2.2 billion and could be finished by 2026, will come from the team, Metro Nashville, and the NFL.

Looks like they will have a top on theirs :(

Edited by What a Tuel

On 4/20/2022 at 8:21 AM, SoCal Deek said:

Populous is known for producing very contemporary designs. I’m not sure how appropriate that is for suburban WNY and I’m a bit concerned that they’ll produce what we call an ‘object building’ and thus be forced to cut the functional corners that Bills fans would prefer over some iconic structure only visible by the relatively few people who attend home games.

Scott Radecic (Populous' senior principal) is VERY familiar with Buffalo as he played here.  That's actually sort of incredible, when you think about it--what other new stadium can say a former player was invoved in its design.

I have no doubt that Populous will design a beautiful, WNY-friendly stadium, not some generic monolith.

https://populous.com/people/scott-radecic

4 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

• Building downtown may not have been worth it anyway

Hearsay! Fake news!  Misinformation! 

Downtown and the dome was the way to go🤑 

Not for the extra infrastructure costs

People are complaining about the deal now but you think if it was downtown and a dome ... Which would probably be a billion Dollars more after everything...

That people wouldn't complain? 

Please , their was going to be complaining regardless... And all the reports show stadiums DO NOT impact an economy that much 

So downtown buffalo was or is not a downtown stadium away from revival .. in fact it's been in revival for 15 years sans stadium 

It's a beautiful city and it's going to continue to be a beautiful city regardless of where the stadium is

6 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Lawmakers approve budget with $500 million for Titans' new stadium (msn.com)

https://titanswire.usatoday.com/2022/04/16/tennessee-titans-new-stadium-conceptual-design/

According to Adam Friedman and Melissa Brown of The Tennessean, who cite documents from Govenor Bill Lee’s office, the approved $500 million will cost taxpayers $710 million over 20 years.

The remaining funds for the enclosed stadium, which is projected to cost anywhere from $1.9 to $2.2 billion and could be finished by 2026, will come from the team, Metro Nashville, and the NFL.

Looks like they will have a top on theirs :(

Now it's getting ridiculous.  Their stadium won't even be 30 years old (built in 1999) when the new one is done.  Have we entered the time of disposable stadiums?  

54 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Now it's getting ridiculous.  Their stadium won't even be 30 years old (built in 1999) when the new one is done.  Have we entered the time of disposable stadiums?  

Yep.  FedEx is apparently no good.  The St Louis Rams needed a new stadium.  Both built in mid 90s.

I wonder if Cincinnati is next.

At least they got their moneys worth out of Highmark. 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Yep.  FedEx is apparently no good.  The St Louis Rams needed a new stadium.  Both built in mid 90s.

I wonder if Cincinnati is next.

At least they got their moneys worth out of Highmark. 

like I said.....

PLA On Bills Stadium Project Is Good For Taxpayers

The $1.4 billion construction plan that will include a Project Labor Agreement (PLA) guarantees highly skilled union trained workers will only be hired with a promise that the best construction practices will be carried out to ensure a high-quality stadium build. Further, the yet to be signed PLA promises a timely supply of workers and a no strike guarantee.

https://www.post-journal.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/2022/04/pla-on-bills-stadium-project-is-good-for-taxpayers/

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

like I said.....

Some teams will demand new stadiums and (also) get tons of money from their states and counties.  Others will have renovations done.  What the Bills do in 25 years is anyone's guess.