New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It's far easier for an NFL owner to demand and get a new stadium from his current town than to simply move his team  into another public stadium in another town.  

The owners as a group don't vote on public stadium financing.  They do decide what city gets a new team.  That decision these days more than any, depends on the money that team will bring the group.  For that reason it's hard to imagine Buffalo would entice an existing team to move there into a stadium that's what...20+ years old at that time?  Or that the NFL owners would even consider it.

So then in 20+ years the stadium expense will be fully amortized and the cost be the proverbial drop in the bucket. Rich Stadium cost $20 million back in the mid 70’s. Does anyone even think about that expense? Nope! (Im old enough to remember when the original video scoreboard cost $1 million and everyone said yikes.) 😉

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Because people like to complain. Especially people with the last name WEO. 

You're arguing with a wall.

Not arguing....just two old people having a front porch discussion.  (Picture rocking chairs and a cold beverage.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not arguing....just two old people having a front porch discussion.  (Picture rocking chairs and a cold beverage.)

Well, that's not another old guy in a rocking chair. It's a wall. 

And that's not a rocking chair, it's a wheel chair.

(Nurse comes and takes you away.)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm just happy the Bills will be staying in WNY for the next several decades so we can just relax and enjoy the team.

AND I'm looking forward to seeing some design renderings!

I hope they let Josh draw the initial designs.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

keep licking your wounds, bruv!

lol

Keep trying to find a sense of humor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

There was talk that the Bills would have to play elsewhere for a season while this new stadium is being built.  Is that still a possibility with this plan?

I haven’t heard any news on that lately.

22 hours ago, Doc said:

I haven't heard anything about needing to play elsewhere at any time while the new stadium is under construction.  At least, not anywhere reputable since anyone can make any claim they want.

Does Austin Bills sound familiar.? Some Albany shrill was talking about that but has sense went into witness protection program.

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

And teeth in a jar on table.

19 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Does Austin Bills sound familiar.? Some Albany shrill was talking about that but has sense went into witness protection program.

No, that is not it.  There was some chatter the Bills would have to play temporarily somewhere else while stadium is built.  Toronto and Penn State were thrown out there. 

28 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And teeth in a jar on table.

You know I laughed when somebody first floated the Austin idea but I recently gave a seminar there and was honestly amazed at the size of downtown Austin. Dozens of new buildings and cranes everywhere…and of course the main University of Texas has been there for a century. That place is booming! (Great BBQ)

35 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Talk of the Bills having to play elsewhere never made any sense, what with the current stadium being good enough in the short term.  It only made sense for an extensive renovation.  

As for Austin, it's a possibility.  Just like LA always was.  Again the rumors are that the NFL wants to expand, so there obviously must be other markets out there, no?

Upthread someone mentioned renderings are 3-6 months away. Why?   Do they want us to believe renderings weren’t completed prior to going to EC and NYS for funding?

IMO…The odds that the new stadium will be ready for the 2026 season are slim.   It is WNY…nothing ever happens in a timely manner. 

• Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, BTB said:

Upthread someone mentioned renderings are 3-6 months away. Why?   Do they want us to believe renderings weren’t completed prior to going to EC and NYS for funding?

IMO…The odds that the new stadium will be ready for the 2026 season are slim.   It is WNY…nothing ever happens in a timely manner. 

It took 3 years to build MetLife. They can have the new Bills stadium ready by 2026 if they get shovels in the ground by 2023.

31 minutes ago, BTB said:

Speaking as the Architect among us, I’m sure real design didn’t start until the ironclad budget was established. Hard to complete renderings without a budget.

40 minutes ago, Doc said:

Talk of the Bills having to play elsewhere never made any sense, what with the current stadium being good enough in the short term.  It only made sense for an extensive renovation.  

As for Austin, it's a possibility.  Just like LA always was.  Again the rumors are that the NFL wants to expand, so there obviously must be other markets out there, no?

The new stadium will be built in the parking lot. Parking will be a challenge during the two years of construction but games can still be held at ‘Rich’ Stadium 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’m sure the NFL would love to have a team in Toronto given they’re the fourth largest city population wise in North America.  LA isn’t exactly a football city but the market is so big they put two teams there.  

5 minutes ago, Arkady Renko said:

With the Bills assured of staying here for the foreseeable future, how much do we care about Toronto getting an NFL team now?

It would take away from the Bills fanbase. Don't the Bills draw a good portion the season ticket base from Toronto? I doubt the Pegula's would be happy with a team in Toronto.

1 hour ago, BTB said:

Ron - the head of PSE - talked about this repeatedly.  They have initial thoughts, but with a finalized budget and the location and style set - they had not begun work on true renderings.  They have some blank filler renderings, but nothing finished.

Based upon the timing - they were still working on things they want based on visits to other newer venues.  They want to pick the nicest features that fit with the styling.  Now that the NYS budget is done - they can begin to put together the features and then come up with a final rendering.

I am sure they could whip something off, but the final renderings will be ready once the Pegula’s decide on the final touches - things like a party deck that might hole as many as 5000 standing fans with food and bars.  Some of that will exceed the original plans and the Pegula’s are picking up the overages.  

We will see, but everything seems to be going right in the expected time line.  They have the funding done, location and style picked, they have the schedule end date set - now you work backwards to when to get shovels in dirt and parts and pieces ordered.  A bit of a delay here is probably good to let some of the global prices settle.  

Maybe everything falls apart, but so far the timeline seems settled and very doable.

40 minutes ago, Greg S said:

It would take away from the Bills fanbase. Don't the Bills draw a good portion the season ticket base from Toronto? I doubt the Pegula's would be happy with a team in Toronto.

I thought it was less Toronto and more Southern Ontario.  Certainly weren’t a ton of Bills fans at the Toronto-series games. 

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

I'm just happy the Bills will be staying in WNY for the next several decades so we can just relax and enjoy the team.

AND I'm looking forward to seeing some design renderings!

Same here! I am just glad the deal got done. I’m not a fan of all the tax breaks/handouts billionaires get. But I also know it isn’t changing any time soon and I had no interest in seeing NY take some principled stand over it that could result in the Bills moving. They are far too important to WNY to take that risk (IMO). If NY wasn’t willing to pay, I guarantee some other city was.

Very happy I don’t have to worry about it. The Bills are locked into WNY for a long time now and I couldn’t be happier about it!

Can’t wait to see renderings too! It’s going to be so cool to have a modern NFL stadium. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1