New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

5 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

not passed yet, but will be today

It worked out perfectly for the Bills when Hochul took over as Gov. A WNY girl born in Buffalo who is a life long Bills fan. They were never leaving under her watch. 

• Like (+1) 5

13 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Regardless of what people may think of Billionaires getting public money for new stadiums what Gov. Hochul pulled off here was nothing short of amazing. She used a bumper crop of a budget surplus to slip the stadium funding through. She then hedged her bet by quietly negotiating a long-outstanding debt with the Seneca Nation and earmarked that money for the stadium deal while telling Albany and NYC naysayers that the money was generated in WNY and deserved to benefit the people of that region.

The result is the Bills are cemented in Buffalo for the next 34 years (something that seemed impossible just a few short years ago) and I’m not sure if it would have happened had the stars not aligned to put her in the Governor’s mansion last year.

Disclosure,  I'm not a Democrat nor live in NY but I do applaud her for how she finessed the deal through.  Part of the stars aligning was having Josh Allen too.  Had the Bills not been on the path they're on and still stuck in perpetual 7-9 seasons, I think there would have been much less urgency to get a deal done for a new stadium.     

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Not much detail yet, but they worked out a deal

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/deal-reached-on-220-billion-new-york-budget-here-are-the-key-items/article_7931e454-b6a9-11ec-89d0-cfaa5717d281.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Thought this was thread worthy on it'sown as opposed to merging with ironclad deal....

There was very little doubt it would pass.  There was a lot of posturing to be done and complaining, but the reality was the legislature was never going to rework the entire budget and get agreement from the governor’s office and they are required to pass a budget - so as long as it was included in the full budget - it was nearly guaranteed to pass.

Now we move to the next phase - where the rest of the planning of the stadium comes out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Lost said:

Disclosure,  I'm not a Democrat nor live in NY but I do applaud her for how she finessed the deal through.  Part of the stars aligning was having Josh Allen too.  Had the Bills not been on the path they're on and still stuck in perpetual 7-9 seasons, I think there would have been much less urgency to get a deal done for a new stadium.     

Agreed. Very much like how Flutie was having his magic season the last time the Bills needed a huge public infusion of cash or they would be moved. Kind of makes you think that this team and this community are blessed and truly meant to be together.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Will the owner be NYS or Erie County? I thought it was EC but I may be mistaken.  

NYS - Erie county was transferring the land to NYS and the state will own the stadium.

The state will get lease money and fees on parking, food, and tickets to recoup some/most of the money spent.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

There was talk that the Bills would have to play elsewhere for a season while this new stadium is being built.  Is that still a possibility with this plan?

I haven’t heard any news on that lately.

Nope.  One of the advantages of building across the street.

6 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

There was talk that the Bills would have to play elsewhere for a season while this new stadium is being built.  Is that still a possibility with this plan?

I haven’t heard any news on that lately.

I haven't heard anything about needing to play elsewhere at any time while the new stadium is under construction.  At least, not anywhere reputable since anyone can make any claim they want.

On 4/8/2022 at 6:11 AM, Rochesterfan said:

NYS - Erie county was transferring the land to NYS and the state will own the stadium.

The state will get lease money and fees on parking, food, and tickets to recoup some/most of the money spent.

Reports are that the State will recoup their outlay by the 22nd year of the deal.   After that it is new revenue.

But I’m sure someone will say a new stadium does not help the local economy. “Just look at the studies BS”.

How much would it cost with the loss of taxes and revenue as well as figuring out what to do with Highmark when, not if, the Bills left?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bills-officially-600-million-york-174040911.html

The Buffalo Bills have officially gotten $600 millionfrom New York for a new stadium in Buffalo. The powers-that-be included the payment within the state’s $220 billion 2022-23 budget.

And only $182M of it is coming from taxes that people pay. 

• Thank you (+1) 1