New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

20 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Not saying it is right but were the boos more about the Sabres than anything?

13 hours ago, nucci said:

Probably, they've been a league embarrassment for most of Pegula's ownership

Yes, but that was RJ's special night. That was neither the time nor the place to boo the Pegulas no matter how you feel about them. For those who booed, read the room. It was a classless move.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 7

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I’m seeing a lot of BAD DEALS articles 

Funny how Central and Western NY cries when something goes to the NYC region 

Now its the NYC region crying about Western NY. 

The state’s only team 

People downstate obviously don't care about that.  Northeastern NJ is part of the NYC metro area and they look at that as more NY than anywhere upstate.  Their football teams play a few miles away from Manhattan--about as close as OP to downtown Buffalo.  

Downstate they see how Metlife was funded and say tell the owner to fund it.  They look at Yankee stadium and say let the owner and the city of Buffalo/Erie Co split it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

People downstate obviously don't care about that.  Northeastern NJ is part of the NYC metro area and they look at that as more NY than anywhere upstate.  Their football teams play a few miles away from Manhattan--about as close as OP to downtown Buffalo.  

Downstate they see how Metlife was funded and say tell the owner to fund it.  They look at Yankee stadium and say let the owner and the city of Buffalo/Erie Co split it.

Metlife?  The 50/50 joint venture?

If only 2 owners would share the responsibility in Buffalo  🦬.  

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Metlife?  The 50/50 joint venture?

If only 2 owners would share the responsibility in Buffalo  🦬.  

...they might get the private burden up to 40% or so.

Anyway, the Bills have 2 owners.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

...they might get the private burden up to 40% or so.

Anyway, the Bills have 2 owners.

If the Pegulas do pick up the cost overruns which are  very likely with inflation they will pay a lot more.

• Like (+1) 1

I am a club seat holder and we have a PSL built into our invoice. I just looked at my invoice and the PSL currently represents ~60% of the invoice. Though this will undoubtably increase in a new stadium, a PSL is not new for club seat holders. It is not paid to then purchase your tix but is bundled in. 

But a PSL will be new for regular seat holders.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Neither the city of Buffalo nor Erie county paid anything towards new Yankees stadium. The team, NYC taxpayers and MLB funds paid for it.

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Have I mentioned that I’m really excited and thrilled that the Bills are getting a new stadium? I think it’s great! I can’t wait to attend a game there. 

as a kid I was excited for Rich Stadium. Hope I'm alive for this

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nucci said:

as a kid I was excited for Rich Stadium. Hope I'm alive for this

As a kid I clipped and saved every picture from the newspaper when Rich Stadium was being built. Back in the day we were all thrilled that our Bills had made it to the big time. Hard for me to digest some of the whining on here about the new stadium. Most people don’t realize that Rich Stadium is now older than the Rockpile was when it was finally replaced….and that the Bills had just added the major renovation to the Rockpile just over a decade before it was replaced. It’s all perspective! 

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As a kid I clipped and saved every picture from the newspaper when Rich Stadium was being built. Back in the day we were all thrilled that our Bills had made it to the big time. Hard for me to digest some of the whining on here about the new stadium. Most people don’t realize that Rich Stadium is now older than the Rockpile was when it was finally replaced….and that the Bills had just added the major renovation to the Rockpile just over a decade before it was replaced. It’s all perspective! 

I went to final game at Rockpile.....21-21 tie vs Lions

11 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I’m seeing a lot of BAD DEALS articles 

Funny how Central and Western NY cries when something goes to the NYC region 

Now its the NYC region crying about Western NY. 

The state’s only team 

Meanwhile Syracuse University wants state help for a Carrier Dome replacement.

5 hours ago, ALF said:

If the Pegulas do pick up the cost overruns which are  very likely with inflation they will pay a lot more.

AND, they face the greatest risk from the unforeseen. It’s like everyone else has a fixed rate mortgage, while the Pegula’s get an ARM in a volatile market, but with virtually ZERO chance of rates going down. That risk is VERY significant. 

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

There's something else behind it...

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

AND, they face the greatest risk from the unforeseen. It’s like everyone else has a fixed rate mortgage, while the Pegula’s get an ARM in a volatile market, but with virtually ZERO chance of rates going down. That risk is VERY significant. 

I'm sure they'll be fine

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

Another view of things...

Wow, I guess they know their audience but the lack of knowledge shown here is a bit stunning.

Why does everyone who is against public funding of sports focus all of their attention on how rich the owners are? They are rich for a reason and longtime NFL owners are largely responsible for the league's popularity and the revenue generation from TV, etc. The Pegula's paid $1B+ for the team that Ralph started with money from a shoebox. The players aren't 50 times better than they were 30 years ago but the league has been run so successfully over that period that players make 30x more now. Sorry, the players aren't responsible for the league's success, the owners are.

Insert "Buffalo Philharmonic" instead of "Buffalo Bills" and these people would have the opposite opinion. Local Sports teams are a "public good", just like the arts, parks, etc. Some are privately owned and some are publicly owned and managed. The only fact you really have to know here is the there are enough citizens in the county and state that want an NFL team in Buffalo and are willing to have their tax dollars fund a portion of it. It has "value" to the citizens that they receive when they watch the games, read news articles, watch the draft and read inane opinions on TBD. 

None of that "value" the citizens/fans receive would be possible if they became the Austin Bats. Citizens of NY think spending 0.4% of one year's state budget is worth keeping the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

I'm sure they'll be fine

I’m just trying to point out a fair and balanced picture of the arrangement.  Some people resent rich folks. I don’t dislike people for being rich. In fact, I’d LOVE to actually BE rich one day!  I may not like you for your actions, but that goes for rich OR poor. 

I’m saying they have taken FAR more financial risk than the deal appears when sketched out on paper in today’s dollars. I’m trying to be fair to them about their potential exposure. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4