New "ironclad" Stadium deal reached

jletha

Just remember taxpayers are pitching in most of the money for multi billionaire Pegula to make more money selling you an entertainment opportunity. Forget all the false propaganda about the economic returns for sports stadiums. The truth is the returns are minimal for the expense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardmcgahey/2022/03/29/buffalos-billion-dollar-tax-fumble/?sh=76b7714c516f

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2

Just now, simpleman said:

Just remember taxpayers are pitching in most of the money for multi billionaire Pegula to make more money selling you an entertainment opportunity. Forget all the false propaganda about the economic returns for sports stadiums. The truth is the returns are minimal for the expense.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardmcgahey/2022/03/29/buffalos-billion-dollar-tax-fumble/?sh=76b7714c516f

The returns are not economic, for sure. The return is without the Bills, you are Toledo, OH.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

People also discount the amount of tax revenue you get having 50+ millionaires working in the county/state.  It doesnt make up the entirety of the stadium, but it does put a chunk into in.  

And it is a civic pride thing.  The Bills mean so much to the city and the people.  It truly puts our region on the map globally.  Like it or not, the price of these things is a large public contribution to the franchise.  Without that, you will lose your team.    Personally, I get a lot of mileage out of the Bills and will certainly use the new stadium for entertainment.  How many state dollars flows into things I will never use downstate and Albany?

Also, I read that in the long-run, Erie County will save money in the deal as they will be out of the operating costs

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, simpleman said:

I would bet that 90% of my tax dollars go to things that I would not approve of.  It is about time tax money is spent on something that I enjoy and approve of!

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The same design firm that created the new stadium for Tottenham of the Premier League will be the ones doing the new Bills stadium. It was revealed that Terry and Kim Pegula, along with top PSE executives, took an extensive tour of the Tottenham stadium last year and were greatly impressed.

Here is a close up look at the stadium. It is thought that it will serve as a model for what we’ll see here in Orchard Park.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

After going to games in Tampa and Miami its time for a new Stadium.  Those are not even cutting edge but miles ahead of High mark.  I think it will be good.   Better in stadium experience overall.  More primetime home games. 

17 hours ago, boater said:

OK. Very cool. ONLY.. if that's an NFL dimensioned infield. If they build Highmark 2 with a soccer dimensioned infield, count me out.

Count you out if they make it compatible with soccer dimensions? The only difference really is more room in the corners. Highmark is already pretty wide at the 50 yard line.  Seems like a minimal sacrifice to be able to host more events to get more out of the stadium. Tennessee, Dallas, Arizona, Seattle, Miami, Foxborough, Chicago, Baltimore, Denver, Las Vegas, Cleveland, Washington, Charlotte, Philly, and MetLife all have hosted soccer matches. And probably more that I can't think of

Edited by wiseman3
Added

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Apparently it will be a natural grass playing surface…It’s often suggested that natural grass surfaces are safer for the players, but are there statistical studies that back that up?  I know the old “Astro turf” was terrible, but I’d thought modern artificial turf was as safe as the real stuff….

Where did you see this? I think this would be awesome if true...

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The same design firm that created the new stadium for Tottenham of the Premier League will be the ones doing the new Bills stadium. It was revealed that Terry and Kim Pegula, along with top PSE executives, took an extensive tour of the Tottenham stadium last year and were greatly impressed.

Here is a close up look at the stadium. It is thought that it will serve as a model for what we’ll see here in Orchard Park.

Great stadium even though Spurs play there.

The same firm (Populous) also designed my favorite EPL team back in 2006:

Arsenal's Emirates Stadium - North London is Red - COYG

Edited by Peter
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Where did you see this? I think this would be awesome if true...

It was one of the main points issued by the Pegulas. Open-air with seat covering, in OP, natural grass field.

4 hours ago, mannc said:

Apparently it will be a natural grass playing surface…It’s often suggested that natural grass surfaces are safer for the players, but are there statistical studies that back that up?  I know the old “Astro turf” was terrible, but I’d thought modern artificial turf was as safe as the real stuff….

Nothing is as safe as the real stuff, because nothing gives like the real stuff. Any type of artificial surface, even the newer stuff, does not rip up and divot like a natural grass field. The lack of give or tear-away ability is what will always make the artificial surfaces inferior and more dangerous than good ol grass growing in dirt.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

That even LOOKS expensive! 

And I don’t care. :)

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Nothing is as safe as the real stuff, because nothing gives like the real stuff. Any type of artificial surface, even the newer stuff, does not rip up and divot like a natural grass field. The lack of give or tear-away ability is what will always make the artificial surfaces inferior and more dangerous than good ol grass growing in dirt.

I read up on it.  That seems to be the case and it is why the NFLPA is pushing for all NFL stadiums to convert to natural grass...Right now, just under half are natural grass.

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

The returns are not economic, for sure. The return is without the Bills, you are Toledo, OH.

Other cities without the NFL would include places like....Austin, Tucson, Louisville, Orlando, Raleigh-Durham....Any Canadian City including Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver......not saying I don't want the Bills but just saying.  Without an NFL team life goes on, and often times the money spent on those teams get re-allocated other places and generates other entertainment options.

Again, I do not want the Bills to leave Buffalo at all, but I have to admit I have thought of what it would be like in WNY without the Bills and what may pop up in the void they leave for people to do with their entertainment dollar/time.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, haroldwaide said:

After 15 years in the new stadium, the amount the team would have to pay back to NYS and Erie County will start to decline.  If they move at any time during the lease they will ALSO have to pay to demolish the stadium.  All this, plus the NFL relocation fees means they ain't moving.

Not to be a party pooper, but St Louis had a similar agreement. They had to pay the City of St Louis hundreds of millions plus the relo fees of 700 mil.

Dont ever think the money hungry billionaires wont do whatever they can for an extra buck. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Other cities without the NFL would include places like....Austin, Tucson, Louisville, Orlando, Raleigh-Durham....Any Canadian City including Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver......not saying I don't want the Bills but just saying.  Without an NFL team life goes on, and often times the money spent on those teams get re-allocated other places and generates other entertainment options.

Again, I do not want the Bills to leave Buffalo at all, but I have to admit I have thought of what it would be like in WNY without the Bills and what may pop up in the void they leave for people to do with their entertainment dollar/time.

Well they’re staying so there’s no point in having any thought of what WNY would be like without the Bills

40 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It was one of the main points issued by the Pegulas. Open-air with seat covering, in OP, natural grass field.

Yup.

And the advancement in growing grass and mainting grass has advanced A LOT since teams have gone to artificial turf. It's why the Ravens went back to natural grass. M&T Stadium is positioned so that in the winter months, the sunlight doesn't actually reach the field level. They tried for a couple seasons when it first opened and the field would get torn up, so went to artificial. 

Honestly I'm surprised more NFL teams don't looke at what soccer teams in Europe do, as they've use some very, very good systems to maintain natural grass throughout the winter months. This includes a hybrid technology, that many Premier league teams use. Baltimore is now using a artifical lighting system to grow the grass in winter months, which Europena soccer clubs also do.

All of this comes at a cost though and I'm sure is more expensive to maintain than artificial turf.

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, buffblue said:

These are rough numbers, but let's try anyways...

Ny state outlay = 650 million

Lease term = 30 years

Eligible taxpayers in NY as of today = 14 million

Tax burden for each NY resident = approximately 2 dollars extra per year per taxpayer

Boy, let me grab my pitchforks to fight...nothing???

How did you come to tax hike number ?

Also Erie C is pitching in 200m so that's a double tax hike for them