Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

Big Blitz

If Will had just sat there and not done anything, would anybody even remember that joke today? I don't think so. 

Chris Rock showed a lot of restraint, or maybe shock, to not go after him. 

But this joke about their open marriage from Regina Hall about Jada and Will is okay?  

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Publicity stunt. 

My thoughts exactly at first, stage job.  But Smith seemed pretty emotional about it all.  

Regardless there’s that saying no publicity is bad publicity.  I mean this is the most popular thread on Off The Wall.  If that punch doesn’t happen it’s unlikely any other members care enough about it to start a thread here 

Edited by Another Fan

3 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

“Denzel said to me a few minutes ago, at your highest moment, be careful, that’s when the devil comes for you…”

Smith quotedWashington there- my question is, does Smith interpret the devil to be his own ego and pride, or does his ego see that as outside forces out to tear him down?

If Denzel is a Christian then he is talking about the actual forces of good and evil.  So both, the actual devil pushing Smith to choose his anger and ego over mercy and grace.

2 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

My thoughts exactly at first, stage job.  But Smith seemed pretty emotional about it all.  

Regardless there’s that saying no publicity is bad publicity.  I mean this is the most popular thread on Off The Wall.  If that punch doesn’t happen it’s unlikely any other members care enough about it to start a thread here 

Looked like WWE to me.   Rocks seems to lean to the side he gets hit in right before it happens.   With a bunch of people who lie for a living its hard to tell whats true.   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

He is an actor.

11 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Unfortunately the slap will embolden others to do the same if they feel offended. Smith does need to be reprimanded in some way with the way laws are written. As an aside, I would rather stuf like this wasn't assault because I think it is good for some physical release, too much emotion is held inside and bottle up, which then can blow up in a very bad way. 

7 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

So you gained respect for a person who made a classless remark about a person with a medical condition. Got it.  Not saying you need to respect how it was handled, but Chris Rock was an ass tonight.

It was a roast bit. He didn't just take one random shot at her outta nowhere. Every host of every award show has this segment. Rob Riggle was pretty brutal at whatever the sports version of this is called. 

Norm mcdonald made some wild joke about Charles Woodson not doing what oj did (Woodson was Heisman winner that year) LOL 

Your whole life is powder soft. You make $100s of millions, get no resistance at any turn of your life. You get made fun of a little, just like everyone else noteworthy there.... and lose your mind. Soft as ice cream. That woman's embarrassed him way worse than Rocks silly little poke! Felating dudes half his age IN THEIR HOME?!? Women like Jada are a dime a dozen. Bring him on live TV to talk about her infidelities?!?

Pshttttttt she's trash. No need to protect her, she doesn't respect you or her self. Garden rake!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Not only have I not seen any of these Oscar movies, it is hard to even figure out how/where to watch them anymore! 

I can't say I've wanted to. But I guess I'm not a movie fan for having no interest in going to see a movie about little girl tennis players and their dad. Maybe they make it hard for people to see so that there is a bit of exclusivity to it.

As for the slap, Chris Rock is 1 of 2 things: a meowsy or acting. Still don't rum your mouth about another man's wife.

• Dislike 1

i get where people are coming from in regards to not going after a family member in the name of comedy.  it's not something i would do, but it's not something wild when it comes to comedy.  that being said, will smith was 1000% wrong, and looks like a complete fool over this.  there's no working environment where you can approach and assault someone without getting walked out and arrested.  this should be no different. 

if it was real, it was a wild over compensation on smith's part.  the guy sat and cried in a very public interview where his wife discussed plowing another man.  now he feels the need to hit someone in public to show who he is as a man?  it's pathetic.  if he truly had an issue with it, approach rock one on one and get it out.  the way this went down was an embarrassment.  the entire smith family needs to get over themselves.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I get defending your wife, but violence isn't the answer.  It's a bad look for Rock to talk about her being bald without knowing the reason why and a very bad look for Smith to assault another person on live TV.

Will Smith originally laughed, not outrageously, but he laughed. Jada rolled her eyes. Then moments later, Will walked up to Chris and slapped him. Sat down and hurled profanity. Normally there’s profanity first, punches second… or at least after profanity your mates can pretend to hold you back. 

I thought Demi Moore was pretty ‘fit’ in GI Jane, so I thought it was an homage to that, that Jada was ‘fit’. 

As well, doesn’t Amy Schumer have a long history of ‘borrowing’ jokes? So I thought it was funny she used the same gag that Rebel Wilson used from the British awards (?). Of Rebel Wilson, she toasted Will and Jada far, far worse at that award ceremony, that’ll be an interesting moment if they bump into each other! 

Jocko Willnick or Joe Rogan to host next years awards?

Edited by Shamrock
  • Like (+1) 1

My mother used to frequently say “two wrongs do not equal a right.” The acceptance and standards of what constitutes “humor” has changed - Rock made fun of a condition that Jada Smith did not choose nor has control over. His words were wrong and so was Will Smith’s reaction.

1 hour ago, Rockpile233 said:

Seems like Will is going through some stuff. Real tough look for him last night. Wow.

If it wasn't a staged event, it's a very public look at Will Smith trying to salvage some of his ego after his wife has very publicly cheated on him and probably pined for a dead 2pac for 25 years. He's extremely angry at her but cannot express it at her since he's supposed to pretend, like the rest of these demoniacs, that it's "normal" and that he should be fine with it.

If it wasn't staged it was the only truly human moment we've seen from a celeb at a major event in some time.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.