Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

Big Blitz

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

this my friend is the 21st century. soft. no more being offensive, whether a joke, a box of aunt jemima pankcake mix or a statue from history past. that's just to name a few.

I am grateful that I was able to live in a time where richard pryor could stand up on stage and bring the house down with what today, would be, well, offensive.

sad times these are, for sure.

comedy has always served to push barriers of taste and decorum and I never want to see that end. I Think that if mr smith hadn't have reacted as he did not many would have even remembered that joke and in the moment taken it as it was given,  as a quip regarding head shaved women. I think she wears short hair for her own personal expression and style beyond it being a medical condition...she can clearly afford the very best of cosmetic and beauty care/medical advice.

..You know what would have been as powerful/controversial but Non violent? will getting up, take his wifes hand, and walk the heck outta there. The timing of his category being very soon would have prevented that I get it. But THAT expression, equally as powerful, maybe even more so actually........ZERO Violence. Jada reacted, her husband grinned, then he got up from his seat on a fools mission. jmo. Nobody is laughing now.

2 hours ago, muppy said:

Has Chris Rock made any statements post slap ? No one seems to be  asking how he is in the aftermath of this. I'm not surprised his comedy show tickets have increased in value. Comics will put their true thoughts and feelings on stage in their performance. this undoubtedly will be true of him . How could it not be.

I think Will Smith should be fined by the academy and even suspended from professional  appearances. His legally crafted apologies don't impress me.

Will Smith is human and made a huge mistake in judgment. He will be forgiven eventually but he needs a timeout in my opinion.  He doesn't swear in his raps but he surely did at the academy awards. His cred is in the toilet at this point.

Chris Rock you handled that situation as well as anyone could have expected under the circumstances. Im reading that comics now will be fearful they tell a controversial joke they may face physical attack. That to me is really unfortunate and sad.

Like you said, Chris Rock will do his talking in his show, probably crush both of them.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Like you said, Chris Rock will do his talking in his show, probably crush both of them.

Rico I think Chris Rock is a great comic. I'm frankly curious how he will handle this in his comedy performances. He will segueway off of it...I mean he won't want to freakin' talk about it ad infinitum/ad nauseum all night.....I hope it ends up being one of his greatest shows Ever. That in itself would be the Cherry for me. He takes the high road and u keep it moving is one option.  I'm pulling for he to make it Right, Bring it as only he can  and dangit make us LAUGH. Screw the haters CR. Actually noone seems to be dissing him all that hard **My perception yeah there are some but I say minority.

Edited by muppy

1 minute ago, muppy said:

Rico I think Chris Rock is a great comic. I'm rankly curious how he will handle this in his comedy performances. He will segueway off of it...I mean he won't want to freakin' talk about it ad infinitum/ad nauseum all night.....I hope it ends up being one of his greatest shows Ever. That in itself would be the Cherry for me. He takes the high road and u keep it moving is one option.  I'm pulling for he to make it Right, Bring it as only he can  and dangit make us LAUGH. Screw the haters CR. Actually noone seems to be dissing him all that hard **My perception yeah there are some but I say minority.

I don’t think he will goof on them all night, but they are too big of a laughing stock to ignore. I won’t pay to see him, but clips of this will be out there, can’t wait! :lol: 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

FYI, this is what I read:

“Rock, who made the 2009 documentary Good Hair about the wonders of African American hairstyles, didn't know Jada suffers from the hair loss condition alopecia, his friend told the outlet. His joke prior to Smith storming the stage was that Jada, who has been shaving her head since 2021, could star in a G.I. Jane sequel.

The source said that Rock "doesn't have a mean bone in his body," and wasn't trying to humiliate Jada. Further, he was "shaken and bewildered" by Smith storming the stage.”

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/will-smith-chris-rock-made-up-after-oscars-fight-claims-diddy-145640005.html

yeah that actually makes sense that he didn’t know looking at the way he responded to the crowd’s reaction to the joke. When he made the joke and some of the crowd kind of went “yikes” or whatever, he just shrugged his shoulders and said “what? That was a nice one!” or something to that effect.

• Agree 2

On 3/28/2022 at 5:22 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Yeah, it happens. Have you ever seen a celebrity roast? 

Lisa Lampenelli made jokes to people that made Rock's comment look like a major compliment. She was the best. People woud make the most vulgar comments to her that you could imagine. The worse they were the more she laughed but when it was her turn, the gloves came off. 

Nobody goes to a roast expecting an award. It was a joke though and people shouldn't get so bent out of shape. But we also live in a world where people get mad if you call them a man or a women. I'm surprised nobody yelled "worldstar"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

yeah that actually makes sense that he didn’t know looking at the way he responded to the crowd’s reaction to the joke. When he made the joke and some of the crowd kind of went “yikes” or whatever, he just shrugged his shoulders and said “what? That was a nice one!” or something to that effect.

Yeah... The 2009 thing is a good point..  He was just roasting the craziness of fashion.

I don't understand a person like that.   Losing your hair is more sensitive for women, I get... But then shave your head?  Draw more attention to it.  That works for a man... But almost all men will suck it up when roasted about it.

She should have went the Tom Brady, Mick Jagger route... Create doubt early on.  She's got the money to accomplish it.

Something tells me the Pinkett-Smith's love to play the victimhood.  ...And Denzel Washington ain't helping!

10 hours ago, muppy said:

Rico I think Chris Rock is a great comic. I'm frankly curious how he will handle this in his comedy performances. He will segueway off of it...I mean he won't want to freakin' talk about it ad infinitum/ad nauseum all night.....I hope it ends up being one of his greatest shows Ever. That in itself would be the Cherry for me. He takes the high road and u keep it moving is one option.  I'm pulling for he to make it Right, Bring it as only he can  and dangit make us LAUGH. Screw the haters CR. Actually noone seems to be dissing him all that hard **My perception yeah there are some but I say minority.

Rock, IMO will have to say something.  He can't lay up short.

I usually agree with you... But Rock should crush it.  Going quiet feeds the Pinkett-Smith thriving on their victim hood.  They aren't the victims.  Actually, Rock is the victim.  He was the one violently attacked.  His joke wasn't malicious.  I am almost 100% certain he didn't know if this wasn't scripted.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... The 2009 thing is a good point..  He was just roasting the craziness of fashion.

I don't understand a person like that.   Losing your hair is more sensitive for women, I get... But then shave your head?  Draw more attention to it.  That works for a man... But almost all men will suck it up when roasted about it.

She should have went the Tom Brady, Mick Jagger route... Create doubt early on.  She's got the money to accomplish it.

Something tells me the Pinkett-Smith's love to play the victimhood.  ...And Denzel Washington ain't helping!

I’m sure you’re probably not aware of this but It’s not really a choice to shave your head. Your hair falls out in big round patches, leaving these big smooth shiny spots of scalp and little patches of hair. The hair also usually doesn’t grow in right. It’ll get an inch or two (or 3) long then start falling out again in some spots. So if you don’t shave it, it can look odd having spots of hair that are 1/4” long and others that are 2” and others that are 5” (etc). 

My family member with alopecia shaves her head for a few reasons. 1) not a lot of choice when your hair is growing in like that. 2) it’s heart breaking to wake up every morning and have to see a new bald spot on your head. 3) it’s easier to wear wigs with a shaved head.

I give Jada a lot of credit for going to the Oscar’s without a wig or any type of head wrap. My family member w/alopecia hasn’t reached that point yet where she feels comfortable in public without a wig (and she’s had it for decades). That’s a courageous step IMO. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Misdirected anger aside, Will Smith violated one of the oldest principles in our common law heritage. What is an appropriate punishment for him?

fine and a suspension from the academy for maybe a year...? If they took his Oscar that would be a one time punishment but pretty severe. I don't know if they will or  would do that or the precedent either. 

I just read an article that stated his written apology was "a master class" very well crafted. I dont know how much weight it will have *shrugs*

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Rock, IMO will have to say something.  He can't lay up short.

I usually agree with you... But Rock should crush it.  Going quiet feeds the Pinkett-Smith thriving on their victim hood.  They aren't the victims.  Actually, Rock is the victim.  He was the one violently attacked.  His joke wasn't malicious.  I am almost 100% certain he didn't how know if this wasn't scripted.

I do want to see how this all plays out. He may well curb stomp will smith in his comedy routine but meh I think he will hit it but Im not so sure how  much. Wordsmiths can craft quite a slap in a few words though......Punch**

🙂

Edited by muppy
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, muppy said:

fine and a suspension from the academy for maybe a year...? If they took his Oscar that would be a one time punishment but pretty severe. I don't know if they will or  would do that or the precedent either. 

I just read an article that stated his written apology was "a master class" very well crafted. I dont know how much weight it will have *shrugs*

I mean since it's rooted in common law going back to when English royalty had actual power I was thinking something more along the lines of rolled down a bumpy hill whilst in a barrel or something like that.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Will and Jada made some really weird  twitter videos before the Oscars. Really, really weird after the Oscars.

Well, at least this year I was aware that the Oscars had taken place. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.