Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

Big Blitz

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Stupid but understandable

health issues don’t make for great jokes

Stupid? I can agree. Understandable? Nope. Be the grown up. 

My wife would be furious with me if I had done that. She is also a grown up. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Understandable just means you, me, and anyone who heard it understands why he hit him. Not talking about right or wrong mind you

I watched it live and they didn't show it.  1st my tv kind of froze, then they showed a screen shot that said Oscars.  They showed a little of Smith cursing out Rock but there was no sound.  Obviously they had something like a 7 second delay and never showed what we can see on the videos above on the early posts of this thread.

• Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

We've all got our triggers. Your wife isn't yours. That's fine. I'm pretty sure I know what yours is and if someone got on stage in front of the world cracking wise about that issue and specifically about a loved one you are actively going through it with we'd see how you react.

Just now, That's No Moon said:

We've all got our triggers. Your wife isn't yours. That's fine. I'm pretty sure I know what yours is and if someone got on stage in front of the world cracking wise about that issue and specifically about a loved one you are actively going through it with we'd see how you react.

Nope. I can’t be positive what you are pointing toward, but I AM curious and would love for you to put it out there for us. Don’t hint and not tell. 

I can tell you I never would have done that, but since you brought it up, do tell what my trigger is……

I’m good. What are you thinking? 

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

So you gained respect for a person who made a classless remark about a person with a medical condition. Got it.  Not saying you need to respect how it was handled, but Chris Rock was an ass tonight.

Feel so bad for poor Will defending his wife who admittedly screws other dudes. ***** all of em

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Augie said:

Nope. I can’t be positive what you are pointing toward, but I AM curious and would love for you to put it out there for us. Don’t hint and not tell. 

I can tell you I never would have done that, but since you brought it up, do tell what my trigger is……

I’m good. What are you thinking? 

No thank you.

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

So you gained respect for a person who made a classless remark about a person with a medical condition. Got it.  Not saying you need to respect how it was handled, but Chris Rock was an ass tonight.

Agreed. It would’ve been funnier if Rock goofed on Smith getting cuc*’d by his wife with his son’s friend.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

No thank you.

I have topics I am serious about, but I would not get physical unless it is in physical defense of myself or my family. I will not defend ideals or opinions. Differences make like interesting. 

22 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Can’t believe that not one person in that woke Hollywood audience booed Will Smith or asked how Chris Rock was doing. Actors, above all people, should defend the notion of free speech being protected from physical retaliation. 

I lost all respect for Will Smith tonight and gained so much for Chris Rock.

Both looked bad.  You don't joke about another person's autoimmune disease.  You don't physically assault someone because of that joke.

Will Smith should have been ejected from the ceremony as soon as that happened. That was assault, plain and simple. The fact that he was allowed to return to his seat after assaulting a presenter -- regardless of the comment that presenter made -- is ridiculous. Then he got to give a weepy acceptance speech about how he wants to be a "vessel for positivity"? WTF?!

I have to think that Mr Smith will be full of regret and shame after the fact. His first Oscar win ever, and his unhinged antics are all anyone will remember, not to mention the fact that they completely overshadowed the movie itself, the Williams family, etc.

Unhinged, bush league move by Will Smith. Chris Rock handled it like a champ, though.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

Many years ago, I had to take part in a public speaking course through work.  We were all tasked with creating a presentation on the subject of our choice, with the purpose of making the audience feel a certain way.

One of my colleagues did hers on alopecia.  No one in the room had ever heard of it.  She showed pictures of her young daughter, with a full head of hair.  Then went on to tell us how years later (daughter in middle school) her daughter inexplicably started losing her hair.

As she was telling us the story (her daughter was in her 20s at this time), she struggled to keep her composure.  By the end of her presentation, everyone in the room was crying.

I like Chris Rock.  And I like Will Smith.

Chris Rock made a bad decision to take such a low hanging fruit to get a laugh at the expense of Will Smith's wife.  He can be funny in a gazillion ways without doing that.

Will Smith reacted.  He reacted like any man who loves a person who is disrespected the way his wife was.  It doesn't make it right, per se.  But it does help explain his actions.

Personally ... I would have done the same exact thing ... even if I knew it wasn't the right thing to do.

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Rico said:

Of the 10 nominated for Best Picture, I did see Dune (because Dune), Licorice Pizza (PT Anderson), Nightmare Alley (Del Toro), and West Side Story(Spielberg). Liked them all but WSS, I would say Licorice Pizza was the best. The other 6 I have no time for.

Licorice Pizza was a movie lover's movie...would make a great double feature with Once Upon a Time In Hollywood.

Lost in all the commotion over Will Smith and Chris Rock is that Venus Williams had a "Janet Jackson" moment during Will Smith's acceptance speech... they kept cutting to the Oscar logo while Smith was rambling on...I guess the glue didn't hold.

Edited by Buftex
  • Like (+1) 1

“Denzel said to me a few minutes ago, at your highest moment, be careful, that’s when the devil comes for you…”

Smith quotedWashington there- my question is, does Smith interpret the devil to be his own ego and pride, or does his ego see that as outside forces out to tear him down?

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Never figured you to be so woke. Jada Smith has alopecia which causes hair loss. Chris Rock’s poor attempt at humor about this was rightfully met with her husband defending his wife. Not cool in your world? 
Well it is in mine as it is with MOST men.

Yeah, you can "defend your wife" without jumping on a stage and hitting a wise-cracking comedian (on live-international TV!), don't ya think?

If you want to hit the guy, meet him backstage and "have a little chat".

This just shows the hubris in Will Smith.

F him and his arrogant family.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.