Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

Big Blitz

• Big Blitz changed the title to Will Smith slaps Chris Rock at the Oscars

Seems like somebody crossed a line! Maybe a couple of somebodies. I’ve never watched that stuff before…..and I’ll still probably wait for these Cliffs Notes. 

Edited by Augie

2 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That might help get the ratings back up.  What was the joke that set him off?

He was conveniently located. Ratings, you ask? 

I don’t begrudge them their money, but I don’t let their lives have any influence upon mine. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

That might help get the ratings back up.  What was the joke that set him off?

It's in the clip. He asked Jada when GI Jane 2 is coming out. She has a really short haircut and apparently has alopecia which would explain the reaction.

1 minute ago, Augie said:

He was conveniently located. Ratings, you ask? 

I don’t begrudge them their money, but I don’t let their lives have any influence upon mine. 

Why does Will Smith give a damn about their ratings? Or Chris Rock for that matter.

Just now, That's No Moon said:

It's in the clip. He asked Jada when GI Jane 2 is coming out. She has a really short haircut and apparently has alopecia which would explain the reaction.

Thanks.  Tasteless joke.  Both looked bad in that situation.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Apparently there is history...and Jada has a medical condition 

Solid tweet by the “journalist” shouter Steven A. Should that be an exclamation mark or a question mark?  Oh, and STOP SHOUTING AT ME! 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

And then will smith wins best actor! 

he audibled well on his speech, but don’t think public opinion will buy his “I am a man of love, defending my loved ones” Schtick.

I saw “King Richard” courtside at some tournaments during practice rounds. I suppose there is a number with enough digits to make me sit thru that movie, but I’m not desperate, so it’s a pretty big number. That was a dick move by a guy who played a dick in a movie, I just have to wonder if it was contrived. 

Like kindergarten, don’t bite, use your words. 

Edited by Augie

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I saw “King Richard” courtside at some tournaments during practice rounds. I suppose there is a number with enough digits to make me sit thru that movie, but I’m not desperate, so it’s a pretty big number. That was a dick move who played a dick in a movie, I just have to wonder if it was contrived. 

Yeahhhhhh, I'd like to say that too but when someone is talking about your wife like that sometimes people need a smack.  Maybe not on stage on TV, maybe in the dressing room after the show, but using the stage and TV cameras as armor to publicly mock someone with a medical condition is pretty weak sauce. This isn't a celebrity roast where everyone knows the deal and is up for it.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

And then will smith wins best actor! 

he audibled well on his speech, but don’t think public opinion will buy his “I am a man of love, defending my loved ones” Schtick.

For another Oscar-winning movie that I’ll never watch. 

He was good in Fresh Prince though!:thumbsup:

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I saw “King Richard” courtside at some tournaments during practice rounds. I suppose there is a number with enough digits to make me sit thru that movie, but I’m not desperate, so it’s a pretty big number. That was a dick move by a guy who played a dick in a movie, I just have to wonder if it was contrived. 

he needed to exercise self-control. The hubris of this guy to think he can walk up there in front of a live audience on live TV and do that— it is unbelievable. 

By the way, I sort of stopped watching will smith movies years ago when everyone was the same post-apocalyptic sci fi movie. He’s made the same movie like 100 times.

That said, King Richard did pique my interest— though I haven’t seen it yet. 

1 minute ago, Rico said:

For another Oscar-winning movie that I’ll never watch. 

He was good in Fresh Prince though!:thumbsup:

Not only have I not seen any of these Oscar movies, it is hard to even figure out how/where to watch them anymore! 

3 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeahhhhhh, I'd like to say that too but when someone is talking about your wife like that sometimes people need a smack.  Maybe not on stage on TV, maybe in the dressing room after the show, but using the stage and TV cameras as armor to publicly mock someone with a medical condition is pretty weak sauce. This isn't a celebrity roast where everyone knows the deal and is up for it.

We see this differently. That’s OK. 

It’s still not clear to me exactly what he said that was so offensive, but it doesn’t matter. If it was bad, that’s crap on Chris Rock. As it is, it’s mostly on Will Smith because of how it played out. 

I care VERY little about anyone in Hollywood, but I had a situation where a buddy tried to “defend” my wife by committing assault on a drunk idiot at an NFL game. That shapes my opinion. He was a friend, and tried to defend his actions. I thought it was worthy of arrest. My wife took my side, you don’t get physical. Be a grown up. 

BTW - Same guy lost his job and later had a domestic violence arrest for being overly volatile, presumably  with alcohol involved. I can forgive, but I won’t ignore. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

he needed to exercise self-control. The hubris of this guy to think he can walk up there in front of a live audience on live TV and do that— it is unbelievable. 

By the way, I sort of stopped watching will smith movies years ago when everyone was the same post-apocalyptic sci fi movie. He’s made the same movie like 100 times.

That said, King Richard did pique my interest— though I haven’t seen it yet. 

Not only have I not seen any of these Oscar movies, it is hard to even figure out how/where to watch them anymore! 

Of the 10 nominated for Best Picture, I did see Dune (because Dune), Licorice Pizza (PT Anderson), Nightmare Alley (Del Toro), and West Side Story(Spielberg). Liked them all but WSS, I would say Licorice Pizza was the best. The other 6 I have no time for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.