McDermott: "We need to evolve"...sounds like he wants fewer designed Allen runs

Big Turk

Josh needs to keep running; it's the most dangerous thing we do on offense and certain runs at certain points in time remain some of our most deadly plays.

When we are down to about the 5 yard line or closer, the next play should ALWAYS be a Josh run.  He's almost impossible to stop down there.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh needs to keep running; it's the most dangerous thing we do on offense and certain runs at certain points in time remain some of our most deadly plays.

When we are down to about the 5 yard line or closer, the next play should ALWAYS be a Josh run.  He's almost impossible to stop down there.

I wouldn't say it should always be a Josh run, but yes, his running ability is one of the things that has made us so potent on offense.  Go back and watch the Pats and Chiefs playoff games.  Without Josh's running ability and our willingness to lean on it, there would have been many more opportunities to bite our nails while watching Haack barely escape a blocked punt.

3 hours ago, cv05 said:
  • We've lost 1 (maybe 2 with Bates) members of our starting offensive line.
  • The replacement on our offensive line is going to be 34 with a history of significant shoulder injuries. He's known for being a great run blocker, but has been a liability in pass protection in the past (likely partially due to shoulder issues). This is a passing league and we have the best QB in the game. If we didn't spend two of our offensive drives against KC without Josh passing the ball, we would have won, despite McDermott's best efforts to lose the game.
  • We have no o-line depth
  • Our running backs stink. Singletary turned in on towards the end of the season, but that may have been due to the dual Allen-Singletary threat, which is apparently being reduced/eliminated
  • Ok, TE is upgraded. I like the OJ Howard signing. But the guy has 5 injuries on the same ankle. He is about as far away from a guaranteed producer as you can get
  • We've lost 2 of our top 3 WRs from last year. They were old, but still. Davis looked good in one game - lets hope that continues, but still to be seen. He was number 4 on the depth chart for a reason last year...
  • Diggs is getting up there, we'll see, but maybe he'll start declining. Same could be said about Mitch Morse.

The constant investment in the defense and neglect of the offense is so painful to watch. Can't stand it.

Actually that isn't right. Davis was number 4 on the doeth chart but it was honestly for NO good reason. Everytime he played he produced going back to his rookie year.

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Actually that isn't right. Davis was number 4 on the doeth chart but it was honestly for NO good reason. Everytime he played he produced going back to his rookie year.

so, you think the coaching staff said "we have this awesome player, but we're not going to use him"? 

There must be a reason, and that reason must have something to do with 34 year old Emanuel Sanders being better. Football fans always look at their own team through rose colored glasses. I bet before that KC explosion, about 10% of NFL fans knew who Davis even was.

This all being said, I have high hopes for Davis... but c'mon, the Bills WR room is average at best.

1 hour ago, cv05 said:

so, you think the coaching staff said "we have this awesome player, but we're not going to use him"? 

There must be a reason, and that reason must have something to do with 34 year old Emanuel Sanders being better. Football fans always look at their own team through rose colored glasses. I bet before that KC explosion, about 10% of NFL fans knew who Davis even was.

This all being said, I have high hopes for Davis... but c'mon, the Bills WR room is average at best.

Nope, the reason was they wanted to play Sanders except everytime Davis got on the field after week 4 or 5, he outplayed him.

Sanders really started tailing off after a good opening month or so.

Don't think it's possible to have Stefon Diggs on your team and have an "average at best" WR room. That's just assinine to even type that...to the point I can't believe your brain actually followed through with your fingers typing that out and then following through to hit the save button to post it.

Edited by Big Turk

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Nope, the reason was they wanted to play Sanders except everytime Davis got on the field after week 4 or 5, he outplayed him.

Sanders really started tailing off after a good opening month or so.

Don't think it's possible to have Stefon Diggs on your team and have an "average at best" WR room. That's just assinine to even type that...to the point I can't believe your brain actually followed through with your fingers typing that out and then following through to hit the save button to post it.

Diggs is great, but here are teams WR groups I would rather have:

TB 

Dolphins

Bengals

Seahawks

Chargers

Rams

Vikings

Broncos

49ers

Raiders

So I guess 11th is a bit above average. I stand corrected.

Here are teams that I would say are borderline equal to us:

Titans (Robert Woods needs to be healthy, if so, they're better)

Giants (they need a QB, but I think they may have a better group in general)

On 3/27/2022 at 10:27 AM, Big Turk said:

Says they need to do right by Allen and do right by the team...

Maybe that was part of the rift that was reported with Daboll?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcdermott-prefer-josh-allen-010459938.html

This would be the smart move for a number of reasons, if anything to keep Allen healthy and ensure his career has real longevity instead of following the path of Cam Newton five years down the road.

I'm all for Allen taking off and making plays when he needs to but the designed run stuff needs to go moving forward.

On 3/27/2022 at 1:26 PM, ScottLaw said:

Huh? No. Make the offensive line better.

Singletary and Moss are not upper tier RB's and both lack short yardage effectiveness.  They are simply too small.  However, I agree that the O-line needs to get better in the run game.  Improve the O-line and add a banger at the RB position. 

On 3/28/2022 at 2:06 PM, cv05 said:

Diggs is great, but here are teams WR groups I would rather have:

TB 

Dolphins

Bengals

Seahawks

Chargers

Rams

Vikings

Broncos

49ers

Raiders

So I guess 11th is a bit above average. I stand corrected.

Here are teams that I would say are borderline equal to us:

Titans (Robert Woods needs to be healthy, if so, they're better)

Giants (they need a QB, but I think they may have a better group in general)

Can't argue much with that list. Davis will be key this year. Guy could legitimately become our number 1 this year if he puts it all together. His per snap numbers are probably already there. He just needs to keep doing it when he is on the field for 90% of the snaps now. If he does the Bills probably have a top 5 WR group which is probably around what we had in the 2020 season with Diggs and Beasley's career years. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

the designed rushing attempts were WAY too much, and not nearly as effective as the scrambles.  Allen has carried the ball 79 times for 357 yards on designed rushing attempts. 

So he averaged around 4.5 per carry on designed rushing attempts, and was at 6.5 in total. Without breaking down the total numbers, Pretty obvious the scrambles gave him the big yards. We need a RB game that can give us those 4.5, ESPECIALLY in the regular season, as others have pointed out. 

I do think Josh does a pretty good job of avoiding most hits on the scrambles. Those hits are unavoidable on the called runs. 

I believe we went into the season with a more appropriate plan for Josh, as far as running goes. A lot of that went out the window when we lost some games we shouldn't have, and we had to play desperate. 

On 3/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, Alphadawg7 said:

Why are people surprised a head coach with a perennial MVP candidate QB who is gonna be near or above 5000 yards passing wants his QB to take less hits?  Thats not a ding on McD, thats what everyone wants.  No one wants Josh running THIS much, and if you do, you are crazy.  

People have been comparing Josh his whole career to two players the most...Big Ben and Cam Newton, especially Cam.  But those are NOT good comparisons.  I get why they happen, Ben was pretty mobile for his size and Allen runs even more ferocious than Cam does.  

HOWEVER...the REAL comparison, and I have been saying this since his rookie year...is Steve Young.  Steve Young was a guy who could make you pay on any play with his legs, BUT...he was an elite passer first are foremost.  He ran when he had to or in strategic moments, but did most his damage with his arm.  

In the history of the NFL, no running QB has ever won the SB...not one.  MOBILE QB's who were great passers first have won plenty...Elway, Rodgers, Young for example to just name a few.  Lamar is who he is because he is not in that upper echelon as a passer, so his ability to run is a necessity to his game to be at his optimal play.  Allen doesn't need that, and he doesn't need to run as much as he was.

What we need is an OC and OL Coach who understand how to better integrate the run game consistently into the game plan to take less running pressure off of Josh.  Allen's primarily role as a ball carrier should come down to extending plays and taking off when nothing is there.  Daboll called not only a lot of designed runs, but a lot of runs for Josh straight up the middle off the snap into the teeth of the defense where there is almost no chance for Allen to avoid big hits.  Thats just stupid, he is not a RB.  If Josh runs up the middle, it needs to be off a drop back after the box has cleared out and he has wide open lanes so he can slide.  Not like a FB right into the DT's and LB's just dying to lay a big hit on him.  

So, anyone getting on McD here just seems odd to me.  We should all want Josh to take less punishment given he doesn't have to take all those hits.  Let Josh still be Josh and take off when he needs to, but stop calling so many QB draws off the snap where Josh is almost certain getting hit as a ball carrier.  

PS:  Not to mention, the person on the field most likely to fumble on any given play as a runner is Josh Allen.  He shouldn't be taking so many carries into the meat of the defense.  

PPS:  That doesn't mean in a big game, say a playoff game or even the SB that you can't turn Josh legs loose more if the offense needs a spark or something, it means you don't need to lean on Josh running all season and should focus on improving our run game with our RB's and let Josh run on rollouts, extended plays where he takes off, etc where he can get out of bounds or have the room to slide to avoid the hits most often.  

Right on. 

Haters want him to run more because then he's not proving them wrong by being a great throwing QB. Also he's more likely to fumble and get injured. 

History will look back on Daboll poorly IMO. He made Allen's job more difficult, not easier. A numero uno type coach. 

Josh should definitely run less in the regular season and do whatever it takes in the post season.

His regular season running should consist of scrambles which typically on scrambles you take big hits.  The called runs should be only in crucial game impacting situations and inside the 5 yard line.

He is too much of a weapon to abandon his unique running qualities when the team needs it most.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.