McDermott: "We need to evolve"...sounds like he wants fewer designed Allen runs

Big Turk

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Need less of the designed runs in regular season to save Josh’s body for the postseason… 

Exactly. When your QB is the best part of the running game then that is a problem.  Can't have the franchise taking unnecessary shots. He will be getting hit enough with sacks and running to avoid the rush.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, cv05 said:

Taking away Allen's run game is devolving. Especially when we've really only subtracted from the offense (Saffold for Williams almost seems lateral). McDermott is an idiot. 

How have they subtracted from the offense? Diggs, Knox, Davis, Crowder, Howard, McKenzie is a pretty solid group. If the Bills can build a running game with the RB doing the running then that will make Allen much more dangerous. If Singletary can't do it then Beane will have to find someone who can.

Edited by Greg S

11 hours ago, letsgoteam said:

I am on the fence, I mean I see both sides. I will say I think the hardest hit JA took this past season, was from within the pocket. When the OL whiffed and he just got trucked (I dont remember the game). 

Never the less, important games/drives he needs to be JA unleashed. 

The NE game a couple years back iirc, when he was literally knocked out and left the game, 

It is the culmination of all the hits, not just the big ones, Cam is an example of a QB that took way too many hits, yes JA is better at avoiding a bunch of hard tackles, but, as I stated above, that NE game is an example of the type of circumstances that they don’t want Josh in. It ain’t rocket science folks, the want the $250,000,000.00 investment to be around for the next decade plus. 

12 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You want Allen to run less McDermott?

Make the OL better and add RAC ability and speed to the receiving corps........this draft needs to be ABOUT THAT.

Then try to come away with a CB2 candidate to push Jackson and a LB and S with athletic upside and potential to play important snaps in the system in 2023.

Especially that first.  We need a better OL.  And I SMH at McDermott sometimes.  Anyone else remember the presser in 2018 (I think it was after the Green Bay game, where we got torched) when he said rather plaintively "I thought we would be able to run the ball".  And I'm like "SMH, McDermott: what part of OL of Dawkins-Ducasse-Bodine-Miller-Mills said "capable run blocking" to you?"  McCoy was always a back who could make a play - AFTER he got a hole to get through the line.

Want a better run game?  Get a better OL.

A lot of folks here are crediting Bates with the emergence of the Bills run game at the end of the season.  I like Bates.  I'm willing to buy in that Dawkins-Bates-Morse-Williams-Brown was the best OL we fielded last season.  But I think the improved run game had too much to do with using Josh Allen on designed runs. 

It worked, but the idea really needs to be to spread the offensive load a bit away from the QB with the run game, not to add "best running back on the team" to his job description.

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The NE game a couple years back iirc, when he was literally knocked out and left the game, 

It is the culmination of all the hits, not just the big ones, Cam is an example of a QB that took way too many hits, yes JA is better at avoiding a bunch of hard tackles, but, as I stated above, that NE game is an example of the type of circumstances that they don’t want Josh in. It ain’t rocket science folks, the want the $250,000,000.00 investment to be around for the next decade plus. 

understand all this but his running and threat to run is part of why he is great. If teams know or sense he won't run that makes him a bit easier to defend. As others have said, he's taken worse hits in the pocket and he's bigger than the DBs that tackle him

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Let Josh be Josh.  No need to put chains on him.  He's our best weapon inside the 10 yard line.  Every D we play has to be ready to defend that, which opens up a lot of other stuff.  Dude is nails on critical short 3rd and 4th downs.  I'm lettin' that Josh freak flag fly!!

Until he gets injured then the pitchforks come out

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

he's taken worse hits in the pocket and he's bigger than the DBs that tackle him

It’s not sustainable 

1 minute ago, nucci said:

understand all this but his running and threat to run is part of why he is great. If teams know or sense he won't run that makes him a bit easier to defend. As others have said, he's taken worse hits in the pocket and he's bigger than the DBs that tackle him

Josh not running the ball was never stated by McDermott.

Like it or not our HC and his OC are going to have a functioning run game, and that is a very good thing.

The Bills will continue to be a pass first offense, but will as well be able to run the ball when they want to, ideally with a RB,  or with Josh when it is appropriate, all this pearl clutching nonsense about Josh never running the ball is a bunch of made up gibberish.  

At no time did he say Josh would never run the ball, where did this come from??????? There appears to be a notable lack of reading comprehension going on, or is it that people just love a good ole strawman argument…, 🙄

nuthin but luv for all y’all of course😁👍

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Josh not running the ball was never stated by McDermott.

Like it or not our HC and his OC are going to have a functioning run game, and that is a very good thing.

The Bills will continue to be a pass first offense, but will as well be able to run the ball when they want to, ideally with a RB,  or with Josh when it is appropriate, all this pearl clutching nonsense about Josh never running the ball is a bunch of made up gibberish.  

At no time did he say Josh would never run the ball, where did this come from??????? There appears to be a notable lack of reading comprehension going on, or is it that people just love a good ole strawman argument…, 🙄

nuthin but luv for all y’all of course😁👍

Go Bills!!!

I misspoke when I said he won't run. sorry..ok???????????????????????????????

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Question for the OL aficianados here:

Has the NFL really moved towards tall tall guards? 

I thought the idea was "low man wins" and that a lower center of gravity was a help in blocking.

Ideal Guards and Centers are not typically 6'7 if anything because the QB would like you to not obstruct his view - most would be 3-4 inches shorter then you 

And yes.  DTs are often 6'3 - 6'4.

Exceptions to all of course.  

It's not as much lowest man wins - It's "inside hands" wins.  A combo of both.  If that 6'7 Guard can do that and get his hips down - he can play there.  

Why are people surprised a head coach with a perennial MVP candidate QB who is gonna be near or above 5000 yards passing wants his QB to take less hits?  Thats not a ding on McD, thats what everyone wants.  No one wants Josh running THIS much, and if you do, you are crazy.  

People have been comparing Josh his whole career to two players the most...Big Ben and Cam Newton, especially Cam.  But those are NOT good comparisons.  I get why they happen, Ben was pretty mobile for his size and Allen runs even more ferocious than Cam does.  

HOWEVER...the REAL comparison, and I have been saying this since his rookie year...is Steve Young.  Steve Young was a guy who could make you pay on any play with his legs, BUT...he was an elite passer first are foremost.  He ran when he had to or in strategic moments, but did most his damage with his arm.  

In the history of the NFL, no running QB has ever won the SB...not one.  MOBILE QB's who were great passers first have won plenty...Elway, Rodgers, Young for example to just name a few.  Lamar is who he is because he is not in that upper echelon as a passer, so his ability to run is a necessity to his game to be at his optimal play.  Allen doesn't need that, and he doesn't need to run as much as he was.

What we need is an OC and OL Coach who understand how to better integrate the run game consistently into the game plan to take less running pressure off of Josh.  Allen's primarily role as a ball carrier should come down to extending plays and taking off when nothing is there.  Daboll called not only a lot of designed runs, but a lot of runs for Josh straight up the middle off the snap into the teeth of the defense where there is almost no chance for Allen to avoid big hits.  Thats just stupid, he is not a RB.  If Josh runs up the middle, it needs to be off a drop back after the box has cleared out and he has wide open lanes so he can slide.  Not like a FB right into the DT's and LB's just dying to lay a big hit on him.  

So, anyone getting on McD here just seems odd to me.  We should all want Josh to take less punishment given he doesn't have to take all those hits.  Let Josh still be Josh and take off when he needs to, but stop calling so many QB draws off the snap where Josh is almost certain getting hit as a ball carrier.  

PS:  Not to mention, the person on the field most likely to fumble on any given play as a runner is Josh Allen.  He shouldn't be taking so many carries into the meat of the defense.  

PPS:  That doesn't mean in a big game, say a playoff game or even the SB that you can't turn Josh legs loose more if the offense needs a spark or something, it means you don't need to lean on Josh running all season and should focus on improving our run game with our RB's and let Josh run on rollouts, extended plays where he takes off, etc where he can get out of bounds or have the room to slide to avoid the hits most often.  

• Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

How have they subtracted from the offense? Diggs, Knox, Davis, Crowder, Howard, McKenzie is a pretty solid group. If the Bills can build a running game with the RB doing the running then that will make Allen much more dangerous. If Singletary can't do it then Beane will have to find someone who can.

• We've lost 1 (maybe 2 with Bates) members of our starting offensive line.
  • The replacement on our offensive line is going to be 34 with a history of significant shoulder injuries. He's known for being a great run blocker, but has been a liability in pass protection in the past (likely partially due to shoulder issues). This is a passing league and we have the best QB in the game. If we didn't spend two of our offensive drives against KC without Josh passing the ball, we would have won, despite McDermott's best efforts to lose the game.
  • We have no o-line depth
  • Our running backs stink. Singletary turned in on towards the end of the season, but that may have been due to the dual Allen-Singletary threat, which is apparently being reduced/eliminated
  • Ok, TE is upgraded. I like the OJ Howard signing. But the guy has 5 injuries on the same ankle. He is about as far away from a guaranteed producer as you can get
  • We've lost 2 of our top 3 WRs from last year. They were old, but still. Davis looked good in one game - lets hope that continues, but still to be seen. He was number 4 on the depth chart for a reason last year...
  • Diggs is getting up there, we'll see, but maybe he'll start declining. Same could be said about Mitch Morse.

The constant investment in the defense and neglect of the offense is so painful to watch. Can't stand it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.