McDermott: "We need to evolve"...sounds like he wants fewer designed Allen runs

Big Turk

7 minutes ago, Mij yllek said:

One of the dumbest statements a coach can make. Josh is a tremendous weapon in the run game and every week opposing coaches have to spend precious time scheming against his runs. Why would you ever want to take that away? Hopefully, its a ruse.

See: downfall of Cam Newton.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CoudyBills said:

I just read some guy on Twitter talking about how Daboll bailed Josh out in that game because Josh can make post snap reads.  

Edit: Tyler Menting

I’ll assume you meant “can’t “ make post snap reads, ? 

I don’t think that’s a completely valid statement, by whom ever tweeted that,  it is my opinion that Allen has indeed  benefited from Dabol’s tutelage, but at the same time Dabol’s over all scheme has lacked a real plan for running the ball via RBs/ having a quality O-line that could make a run game a functional aspect of the offense, causing Dabol to have to use the QB as a RB far to often, if you get my gist as it were…, that and Allen’s ability to improvise has saved the day more than once…., 

19 minutes ago, Mij yllek said:

One of the dumbest statements a coach can make. Josh is a tremendous weapon in the run game and every week opposing coaches have to spend precious time scheming against his runs. Why would you ever want to take that away? Hopefully, its a ruse.

He never said he was going to remove that aspect of Joshes game altogether, stop clutching your pearls over things that were never stated, ya might want to re-read what he said…, 🙄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Says they need to do right by Allen and do right by the team...

Maybe that was part of the rift that was reported with Daboll?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcdermott-prefer-josh-allen-010459938.html

Sounds like he was tired of the Daboll game plan 

QB power runs rarely end with a bad hit.  The worst I remember was in OT of the playoffs vs. the Texans when Knox ran by his block and Josh had no time to react as he got blasted in the chin.  It should have been a game winning play.  The QB zone reads end badly most often when Josh misreads and can't beat the first defender.  The worst I can remember was vs. LAC when Bosa twisted him down.  I thought that was close to a leg injury.  The hit (late, imo) that cost him 4 starts was in the pocket and a shot to his extended arm well after the ball was released.  I also remember an awkward horse collar tackle while he was in the pocket (which is legal.)

I think of Favre's problem with pain killers and Luck retiring due to being mentally no longer willing to deal with the constant pain of injury and rehab.  Josh seems bullet proof by comparison.  Let's not kid ourselves, there are all sorts of ways to get injured and many of them are in the pocket.  Broken thumb on a hit to a helmet, lower body injuries from a stumbling, rolling defender or being landed on by an illegal, full body weight tackle (left shoulder injury vs. the Raiders.)  I say the zone read runs have been some of the least productive and most risky plays so I'd be ok with them going away.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Says they need to do right by Allen and do right by the team...

Maybe that was part of the rift that was reported with Daboll?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcdermott-prefer-josh-allen-010459938.html

Or maybe it’s because his QB now ha$ hi$ $econd contract. Now it makes fiscal sense to keep Allen on the field. Before? No big deal. 

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m cool with Josh running but my biggest issues were relying too much on the designed QB runs and Josh unnecessary  taking hits. 

Maybe that’s what McD has an issue with?

That’s exactly what McDermott was getting at…,  he wants his QB to not take unnecessary /stupid hits, I would think all of us fans would think that is a good idea,  remember the NE game were Josh was pretty much knocked out in a game we would have very likely won if he had not had to leave the field? It’s that sort of thing…

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

McDermott saw what happened to Cam first hand.  It's a cautionary tale the Bills need to learn real quick.  Article from 2016....

Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton has taken a beating in his NFL career, far more than any quarterback in recent history. And suddenly, at the still-young age of 27, Newton is facing the first flash point between playing style and long-term future.

Newton is officially cleared to return from a concussion suffered when he tried scrambling into the end zone in Week 4. The play, and his subsequent one-game absence, was a reminder that no quarterback -- not even one who broke into the league with a patented "Superman" celebration -- can indefinitely absorb unnecessary punishment without consequence.?

Ahead of Sunday's game in New Orleans, let's take a closer look at what Newton has exposed his body to during his six-year career. The Panthers say they won't limit his running or impose a fundamental change in their offense, but we'll consider a suggestion for lessening the toll nonetheless.

Newton has been hit on 831 plays over 82 games in his career, an average of about 10 per game. The number may sound small, but it is actually extraordinary in the context of other quarterbacks. The next-closest quarterback has taken nearly 300 fewer hits over the same time period. This tally includes every play he has been hit on while either on the run or while throwing, but it is capped at one hit per play and doesn't include contact after the throw or on two-point conversions.

Since 2011, the Panthers have called more than twice the number of designed runs for Newton than any other team has for another quarterback. And they have resulted in 1,941 rushing yards, more than double Russell Wilson's 833. Nearly two-thirds of Newton's designed QB runs have gone between the guards, where maximum contact occurs. Newton also has taken off on more scrambles -- runs when a pass play breaks down -- than anyone but Wilson over this span. In all, Newton has been hit at least once on 533 of 575 plays that were either designed runs or meaningful scrambles in his career.

The difference is Newton got battered in the pocket far more than Allen does. Allen has elusiveness and escapability in the pocket few other QBs do. He makes people look silly most of the time when they get a free shot on him.

Newton on the other hand was one of the most hit QBs in the NFL for numerous years.

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

His career was shortened imo as much by the amount of damage he took in the pocket as he did running. I’ve never seen an NFL quarterback get fewer calls than Newton ever.

Newton for as good a runner as he was had almost no elusiveness inside the pocket. Dude got hit more than any QB in the NFL for numerous seasons. Something Allen excels at and takes fewer hits than the majority of the QBs in the league, even with his running because he is so elusive in the pocket. Even guys with free shots rarely make a tackle and sometimes barely lay a hand on him.

People need to stop making these baseless comparisons with Newton. Allen takes far far far less hits than Newton. Allen might take the hits Newton did in a single year in three years.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Majority of the reason JA runs or has to run is due to a weak run game!! Singletary is not a legitimate 3 down back. He’s a legit 3rd down back. This team hasn’t had a legit ground team in nearly a decade. It’s pretty clear.

They need a better oline to have a legit ground game. 

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Newton missed two games the first four years of his career with the same playing style.  Josh missed three I believe his rookie year.  It's unsustainable.

Josh missed three games because of a late hit to his throwing elbow when he was in the pocket. 

We definitely need to build a more traditional running attack with a real threat RB. But stopping Josh from running completely would be a huge mistake. We need to have a couple of designed Josh runs per game. Along with a couple of his scrambles. The defense needs to know there is the threat of Josh running, and we need to take advantage of Josh's unique running ability.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, transient said:

Josh missed three games because of a late hit to his throwing elbow when he was in the pocket. 

That's not the point.  Newton missed only two games in his first four years of football (both in 2014).  One due to a sack in a preseason game and one later in the year after a car accident. 

The point is that Newton was once viewed as close to invincible because he didn't miss hardly any games at the start of his career despite his playing style (which is very similar to Allen's).  Newton's career resembled that of a hard running RB who peaked early and was worn down by the time he hit 30.  It's a cautionary tale that Beane and McDermott witnessed first hand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, boater said:

There is an anecdote from the early days of Tom Brady...

He used to take off and scramble quite a bit. Belichick told him to the effect of "if you want to last in this league, you have to stop doing that" ..and like that, Tom Brady stopped scrambling. Now here he is today playing at 44 years old.

It's a good thing he told him or he'd have all the QB rushing records too. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.