McDermott: "We need to evolve"...sounds like he wants fewer designed Allen runs

Big Turk

9 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Cam Newton is a delicate flower compared to Josh.

Yeah even though they’re comparable in size and both run between the tackles… Allen runs with more physicality and looks to end runs on his terms, Newton defiantly tries to avoid confrontation.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I guarantee I’ve watched 10x more Cam Newton games than you have

your take is not close

At least josh allen won't listen to you and keep doing what is needed to win games.

He gets hit harder when he is in the pocket, he rarely gets his on his runs and more often than not jump overs them.

Edited by TBBills
  • Vomit 1

Evolve or die. Too much of the time the offense struggled and it seemed like Daboll would just go to "Give it to Allen on a run". It felt like last season he really depended on that a bit too much. I mean, I get it, you have an Allen, you use him, but maybe help him out.. the schemes just didn't seem to be there this year that were there last season that let them ignore even pretending to have something besides Allen in the running game. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Evolve or die. Too much of the time the offense struggled and it seemed like Daboll would just go to "Give it to Allen on a run". It felt like last season he really depended on that a bit too much. I mean, I get it, you have an Allen, you use him, but maybe help him out.. the schemes just didn't seem to be there this year that were there last season that let them ignore even pretending to have something besides Allen in the running game. 

I think it may be shown this season that Allen made Daboll as opposed to vice versa.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Look at Cam Newton avoiding contact and going for this first down like a delicate flower lmfao

cambigrunmiddle.gif

People have a warped view of him because he didn't dive for that fumble in the Super Bowl.  He never played soft.  The narrative after his MVP season is he's just built differently and can take all that punishment.  He should definitely be a cautionary tale for the Bills.  

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

56 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Breece Hall! That’s your answer McD. 

Funny, this past week, I heard a draft "expert" on GR55 saying that Hall was elite, and what set him apart from other RB's in the draft was his "vision".  Said that Iowa State ran an offense that emphasized running backs who are patient, and can make defensive reads on the fly.  The day before that, they had the guy who does the "Locked On Bills" who is also a "draft expert" (Joe Marino) say that he was not high on Breece Hall, at all, because he "lacked vision" required to succeed at the NFL level.  I can't remember ever hearing such polar opposite assessments of the same player.  Marino thinks Hall would be a terrible pick for the Bills... though I think he is one of those who is not generally inclined toward taking RB's in the first round.  Personally, I have no opinion on Hall, just thought it was interesting, as I have seen a number of people mention him as their preferred pick for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

RB’s tend to have short NFL careers. There is not likely to be a positive end to using your once in a generation arm talent QB as though he is an RB. Josh can scramble and at at very select times play the run. To me it looked like opposing teams did a halfway decent job stopping the Bills RPO.

Develop a “real” run game and see how good Josh will be as a QB. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Says they need to do right by Allen and do right by the team...

Maybe that was part of the rift that was reported with Daboll?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcdermott-prefer-josh-allen-010459938.html

When I saw this from McDermott, my alarm went off.  I don't mind that McDermott wants to see Josh run less (though I think his running, late in the season was a big part of what took his passing game to the next level) not sure why he needs to say stuff like that out-loud. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Funny, this past week, I heard a draft "expert" on GR55 saying that Hall was elite, and what set him apart from other RB's in the draft was his "vision".  Said that Iowa State ran an offense that emphasized running backs who are patient, and can make defensive reads on the fly.  The day before that, they had the guy who does the "Locked On Bills" who is also a "draft expert" (Joe Marino) say that he was not high on Breece Hall, at all, because he "lacked vision" required to succeed at the NFL level.  I can't remember ever hearing such polar opposite assessments of the same player.  Marino thinks Hall would be a terrible pick for the Bills... though I think he is one of those who is not generally inclined toward taking RB's in the first round.  Personally, I have no opinion on Hall, just thought it was interesting, as I have seen a number of people mention him as their preferred pick for the Bills.

Remember how these "experts" dogged Josh Allen pre draft. 😎

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Breece Hall! That’s your answer McD. 

He was 70% of Iowa State offense and teams couldn't stop him

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

People have a warped view of him because he didn't dive for that fumble in the Super Bowl.  He never played soft.  The narrative after his MVP season is he's just built differently and can take all that punishment.  He should definitely be a cautionary tale for the Bills.  

No b.c that was the real Cam Newton, not one single play but his career of being soft.

Edited by TBBills
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Dislike 2

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

His career was shortened imo as much by the amount of damage he took in the pocket as he did running. I’ve never seen an NFL quarterback get fewer calls than Newton ever.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

People have a warped view of him because he didn't dive for that fumble in the Super Bowl.  He never played soft and the narrative after his MVP season is he's just built differently and can take all that punishment.  He should definitely be a cautionary tale for the Bills.  

This is true. The good news is that Allen is 10 times the passer that Cam ever was.

Can you believe that in his MVP season he was a sub 60 percent thrower? And 2015 was by far his best. Newton reminds of Ryan Miller when he played for the Sabres - 1 standout year (in Miller's case 2009-2010) and then decidedly average otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Draft a real running back if available. 

It’s the O-line, always has been.

A better o-line increases the effectiveness of BOTH the run game and the passing game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Remember how these "experts" dogged Josh Allen pre draft. 😎

It was a mixed bag.  I remember the younger analytics crowd hated him.  The more recognizable/seasoned "experts" (McShay, Kiper, Mayock) had him ranked as their second best QB prospect after Darnold.  Allen was definitely one of the most polarizing prospects ever.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Says they need to do right by Allen and do right by the team...

Maybe that was part of the rift that was reported with Daboll?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcdermott-prefer-josh-allen-010459938.html

I agree with Sean,  less designed Allen runs unless it's the playoffs.  Hope the Bills draft a speed RB with 2nd or 3rd round picks,  I am not sold on Singletary as a starting RB on a title contending team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.