Greg Cosell talks Wide Receivers and names scheme fits

12 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Bills are a zone based team they can easily get away with drafting a corner in round 2 or 3 and not skip a beat. Heck Levi Wallace was undrafted. It’s WR or Breece Hall in round 1 for me. 

I might be crazy but I think our CB1 is actually Taron Johnson. Just based on how we play defense.

Watched a lot of Breece Hall and I don’t see anything that separates him from RBs that will be available in the 3rd round.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This can be merged to another thread if a mod wants, but with his overall expertise I thought his insights were interesting, especially since I don't watch ANY college football.

My biggest takeaways:

Really high on George Pickens (like REALLY high) and Skyy Moore

Not really high on Drake London... compared him to Marcus Colston and said all the Wide Receivers he's being compared with (Mike Evans, Mike Williams, Michael Pittman) were better prospects.

Deep WR class. Can find a "starter" (in today's NFL... meaning top 3 guy for your roster) in round 4.

As far as scheme fit for Buffalo he named Jameson Williams and Jahon Dotson as 2 players he'd like in Buffalo’s offense assuming it doesn't change much.

CB in the 1st and Dotson in the 2nd? I don't know if he'll be available there because I've seen reports of him as a 1st round prospect, but he seems more likely to fall there than Williams.

Dotson's pro day was yesterday but I don't think Beane was in attendance... though that doesn't mean much. Apparently it went well and he's excellent tracking the deep ball.

Jameson Williams for me, if we can get a top WR with tyreek hill speed then thats what we need to become unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The 2 that stood out that he talked about were Pickens which he was really high on & the guy from Penn State Is it Dotson i think he was talking up a lot it would be great to get either of them & i hope we get a the back from Bama Johnson in the later rounds . 

19 hours ago, DallasMac said:

Really like Pickens and agree London is nowhere near a guy like Mike Evans.

London has only the 50/50 ball in his repertoire. I'm still 90% convinced we'll take the best CB at 25. Maybe McDuffie falls?  Guys like Dotson or Christian Watson could be there in the mid 2nd.  I wouldn't lose sleep using some of the 6/7 picks to move up for either of these guys. 

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

This can be merged to another thread if a mod wants, but with his overall expertise I thought his insights were interesting, especially since I don't watch ANY college football.

My biggest takeaways:

Not really high on Drake London... compared him to Marcus Colston and said all the Wide Receivers he's being compared with (Mike Evans, Mike Williams, Michael Pittman) were better prospects.

Deep WR class. Can find a "starter" (in today's NFL... meaning top 3 guy for your roster) in round 4.

As far as scheme fit for Buffalo he named Jameson Williams and Jahon Dotson as 2 players he'd like in Buffalo’s offense assuming it doesn't change much.

CB in the 1st and Dotson in the 2nd? I don't know if he'll be available there because I've seen reports of him as a 1st round prospect, but he seems more likely to fall there than Williams.

Dotson's pro day was yesterday but I don't think Beane was in attendance... though that doesn't mean much. Apparently it went well and he's excellent tracking the deep ball.

I'm 100% a Pickens fan...And I think the injury is bringing him in at a nice value, maybe even at #25...

When I watch Pickens, all the way back, I see an Alpha...To me there is no doubt. He is seriously put together, and he can pretty much do it all as an outside WR. I think he'll continue to improve on that Combine 4.47 as he fully recovers. Coming back from the injury, playing, and contributing, shows something about the dog in him...Pickens is the prototypical NFL WR physically...6-3-200...Sliding him into that Sanders/Smoke roll would be a nice upgrade IMHO...Yes...Upgrade...And they might be able to do it in the 2nd with a trade up...I'm all for it...B-)

• Like (+1) 2

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I might be crazy but I think our CB1 is actually Taron Johnson. Just based on how we play defense.

Watched a lot of Breece Hall and I don’t see anything that separates him from RBs that will be available in the 3rd round.

Agree on Breece.  I'd prefer Walker or Zamir a little later

On 3/26/2022 at 3:27 PM, transplantbillsfan said:

My biggest takeaways:

Funny I listened to another podcast Cosell was on and he clearly wasn't a huge Sky Moore guy.

Mentioned although he timed fast he questioned his ability to separate and saw him as a slot WR only in the NFL.

Came away with the impression Cosell wasn't nearly as high on Skyy Moore as the huge he's been getting lately.

No doubt he loves Pickens and he likes Dotson a lot too. He also really like Treylon Burks.  He's also not a big Olave guy. "His game as no element of physicality what so ever". Doesn't ever think Olave will be a #1, a complementary piece to an offense only.

One last note: Cosell thinks Calvin Austin has a little "Tyreek Hill to hus game". My ears perked up when I heard him say it. Also mentioned Khalil Shakir as a guy he really likes. (BTW, I think I heard these on a Philadelphia Eagles podcast he does)

From listening to Cosell across multiple podcasts I think he has his Wrs rated as follows:

1 - Garrett Wilson

2 - Treylon Burks

3 - Jameson Williams 

4 - George Pickens

5 - Jahan Dotson

Lower on:

Olave

London

Higher on:

Calvin Austin

Khalil Shakir

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, DallasMac said:

Agree on Breece.  I'd prefer Walker or Zamir a little later

Hall will end up going in the 2nd. Walker will go in the 2nd, Zamir probably 3rd, along with Spiller. I like James Cook a lot if he’s there in the 4th.

2 hours ago, Estro said:

Funny I listened to another podcast Cosell was on and he clearly wasn't a huge Sky Moore guy.

Mentioned although he timed fast he questioned his ability to separate and saw him as a slot WR only in the NFL.

Came away with the impression Cosell wasn't nearly as high on Skyy Moore as the huge he's been getting lately.

Respectfully, it seems you're conflating Cosell's statement that Moore will ultimately be more of a slot guy in the NFL (which we need) with your own notion that he's not high on him.

I don't think he's his #1 WR... but anyone can feel free to start listening at 9 minutes in to see if I'm crazy. I would note that his emphasis on Moore's "competitive toughness" is pretty huge for a slot WR.

12 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

London has only the 50/50 ball in his repertoire. I'm still 90% convinced we'll take the best CB at 25. Maybe McDuffie falls?  Guys like Dotson or Christian Watson could be there in the mid 2nd.  I wouldn't lose sleep using some of the 6/7 picks to move up for either of these guys. 

NO ONE would lose sleep over using 6th and 7th round picks to move up in the 2nd round to draft a promising WR. In large part because no team would agree to trade down in the 2nd, more than a pick or maybe two, for such meager return. 

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

NO ONE would lose sleep over using 6th and 7th round picks to move up in the 2nd round to draft a promising WR. In large part because no team would agree to trade down in the 2nd, more than a pick or maybe two, for such meager return. 

Correct. The value of our 6th and 7 rounders combined would probably get us up 1 spot. Maybe 2 at a stretch. No more than that. 

On 3/26/2022 at 11:06 PM, Green Lightning said:

Cosell is one of my favorite and most believable football experts. Great insight. Thanks for posting this. I'm on the road and missed this. And I can't agree more on Drake. Reminds me of James Hardy.

Yeah this guy knows his stuff. 

And I agree with him on Drake London, I don't see it either. Kiper and Daniel Jeremiah have him mocked in the top 10 which seems crazy, but I feel like they usually have some good draft intel. I like Dotson's tape over Drake London.

On 3/26/2022 at 8:31 PM, 78thealltimegreat said:

Bills are a zone based team they can easily get away with drafting a corner in round 2 or 3 and not skip a beat. Heck Levi Wallace was undrafted. It’s WR or Breece Hall in round 1 for me. 

Zone "based", yes. But we still have to run plenty of press and off-man. We cannot start the season with Cam and Dane as our starters. And we need better horses to compete with a stacked AFC in the playoffs.

The level of WRs we have to play is insane. Expecting to be able to scheme for a lack of athleticism in the secondary is not a superbowl winning strategy. We need excellent CBs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CapeBreton said:

Yeah this guy knows his stuff. 

And I agree with him on Drake London, I don't see it either. Kiper and Daniel Jeremiah have him mocked in the top 10 which seems crazy, but I feel like they usually have some good draft intel. I like Dotson's tape over Drake London.

As Greg pointed in out, our need for speed and for a vertical threat points to Dotson. Davis already gives us what London would bring.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, KOKBILLS said:

I'm 100% a Pickens fan...And I think the injury is bringing him in at a nice value, maybe even at #25...

When I watch Pickens, all the way back, I see an Alpha...To me there is no doubt. He is seriously put together, and he can pretty much do it all as an outside WR. I think he'll continue to improve on that Combine 4.47 as he fully recovers. Coming back from the injury, playing, and contributing, shows something about the dog in him...Pickens is the prototypical NFL WR physically...6-3-200...Sliding him into that Sanders/Smoke roll would be a nice upgrade IMHO...Yes...Upgrade...And they might be able to do it in the 2nd with a trade up...I'm all for it...B-)

I should add with Pickens. To me there is a certain DK Metcalf-Draft vibe with him. In that he missed a lot of time due to injuries in 2020-2021. When I watched DK coming out I saw an Alpha...He was slapping CB's hands out of the way at the line, then blowing by them for BIG gains...He was clearly a stud...To me at least...It was obvious. I'm not saying Pickens is the same as DK because he's not...But I do get the same feeling in his ability to be the best guy on the field at times. And it's looking like Pickens will slide a bit like DK did...DK was a massive Draft Value (obviously)...I can see a scenario to move down a bit and gain Draft capital to move back up in the 2nd and 3rd, and still come out of the 1st 2 Rounds with Pickens and a solid 2nd tier CB (Elam/McCreary/Gordon/Woolen)...Just a thought...B-)

Adding part of an article from Kyle Crabbs written on 7/15/2021...The article was mostly about should he/should he not come back...But it had this little nugget...

Crabbs On Pickens 7152021.JPG

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Zone "based", yes. But we still have to run plenty of press and off-man. We cannot start the season with Cam and Dane as our starters. And we need better horses to compete with a stacked AFC in the playoffs.

The level of WRs we have to play is insane. Expecting to be able to scheme for a lack of athleticism in the secondary is not a superbowl winning strategy. We need excellent CBs.

We need to get more weapons for Josh he’s the franchise 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

We need to get more weapons for Josh he’s the franchise 

Diggs, Davis, Knox, Howard, Crowder.

I'd love a speedy receiver to add to this mix. But let's not act like the cupboard is bare like it is at CB. We have a need at receiver, but a huge gaping hole in the secondary.

Allen has some weapons. We'll put up a lot of points. But we have to be able to stop people.

On 3/27/2022 at 12:30 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jameson Williams for me, if we can get a top WR with tyreek hill speed then thats what we need to become unstoppable.

How do you feel about Christian Watson?  Imagine him catching passes from Josh Allen…

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.